Adding Cruise

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Well, I did it to my 95.

I didn't need a new column after all (which was good - I accidentally bought an auto column). A new horn pad, cruise servo and cable, and master cylinder and sensor did it. All the wiring was there and it's very nice! Just a plug and play installation.

Anybody want a column with tilt and auto?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that is an accomplishment!!! Would you mind going into detail about it? My friend has cruise on his truck and it doesnt work and he has no intentions of fixing it so he said I could have it all but I wasnt sure it would work. Sounds like there is hope. Our trucks are an 11 yr difference tho, that might stop it.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I bought off a parts truck a column with cruise and the servo. I simply took the horn pad off the column and put it on, and the servo and put it on. The cable connected to the throttle body and there was a plug attached to the fender where the servo belongs. I bolted it on and went. The last part which I haven't done yet is the master cylinder and switch there. The cruise master cylinder has a switch that turns it off. I bypassed it with a paper clip to test it, and it works. I will need to replace the switch and master cylinder. The whole conversion will likely cost less than $100.

On your truck, you could do it but you'd have to add the wiring from the colum to the servo. I believe the cable connects the same way, so you could do it. You'll need a brake switch, clutch switch, cruise speedo cables, and speed sensor (mounts between the two speedo cables) and some power. I doubt it's as easy as mine was.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you can just wire the master cylinder switch into your brake light switch? In fact, I'm sure you could...

Did you use the cruise module from another diesel?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The switch at the master cylinder is a redundant safety. It's there in case the brake light switch goes bad, to shut off the cruise by the pressure from the master cylinder.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh... yeah, you're right.

I'd feel safe in a standard without that switch--because you have both the brake and clutch pedals to kill the cruise quickly. Although in an auto, it'll deactivate by shifting into neutral...

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 80-86 trucks use a vacuum dump valve rather than the electronic switch, I'm pretty sure 87-91 are the same setup.
When I converted mine to the 92+ electronic servo, I tied into the brake light switch without issue.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I didn't realize that the switch ws redundant. It worked normally when I drove it but I figured that I pushed in on the clutch.

It's interesting you say that about the switch - Ford had a big recall on that thing. It seems few trucks caught on fire in the middle of the night.

I'm asking $150 for the column. That's half what our local junkyard sells tem for. It's in good shape - tilt, cruise but manual horn pad......