Ac system repair

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my f350 came hooked up with an ac system, but no compressor, I went to the junk yard last year and got a pretty much new ac compressor, now that it's starting to warm up its time to get it hooked up and working. Can I do this myself or do I need to take it to a shop.

Thanks in advance

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many questions to ask. Do you have a vacuum pump to pull vacuum on the system. Do you have the gauges to fill the system. What are you filling the system with. R12 or R134. You can but both freons thru ebay but.. you will need a license for the R12. Seeing you system has been open for so long you will need a new dryer and orifice tube. Now about a vacuum pump. They are simple to make from any refrig compressor. Just be sure to wear eye protection when you cut the freon lines from the black barrel compressor. Once its out and free run the unit to see what side is sucking and blowing. then get the brass fittings and silver soldier or braise them on the copper tubes. Now you have a compressor vacuum pump capable of sucking down the air and moisture in the ac system. What.. You don't have a broken refer. Go to any refer repair shop and buy one thats been cut out of a refer or freezer or cold water drinking fountain. They are basically all the same just as long as they are 120 volts. Ebay has the gauges cheap too. Used works about the same as new.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean and flush everything! Any dirt in the system will destroy the compressor.replace the orifice and accumulator and all orings.then you can add oil,vacuum and charge at home or a shop.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent way more time cleaning than I did anything else. We have one of those pressurized sprayers at my shop, where you can load up whatever you want and charge with compressed air. I then flushed out the condenser and evaporator. I removed all lines, accumulator, and orifice tube beforehand. I used denatured alcohol, which may not be that different than actual A/C flush. I then cleaned all the lines individually.

Auto parts stores have an A/C O-ring assortment for around $10 or so, and orifice tubes are $2-3. There's a red and a blue, I've switched them to red twice (on mine and a 1984 F150). I read somewhere the orifice size of the red is more appropriate for R134a, but I have no scientific data to back that up.

I'm very fortunate in that I have A/C equipment available to me, but everything I did to charge the system could be done using an inexpensive set of manifold gauges and a vacuum pump.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Invest in a decent referigerant scale. If you take it to a shop, you are paying for them anyway. Guages should only be used to determine if the system is functioning. No A/C tech will use guages to determine a proper charge. There is a tag on your core support denoting the proper charge by weight. Use the scale to weigh in your charge according to this. Absolutely do not overcharge. It will not cool any better.

Distribute the oil through out the system. 1/3 in the suction side of the compressor, 1/3 in the condensor, 1/3 in the dryer. Cycle the compressor in the correct direction 15-20 times before turning it on. Do not turn the can upside down to speed up the charge.

Buy refrigerant only cans. Do not by any sealers, additives, or magic "freezers". Same for the oil. A single shot of dye is the only thing to add to proper oil/refrigerant charge.

Follow the above instructions for cleaning. Clean, clean, clean.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your charging by weight, use r134 small cans and you may not need the gauges.. Convert to r134 while it's empty, nothing to it. When you pull the orifice tube you'll get a pretty good idea of what your up against, any particles are reaped there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk