ABS Light On E-Brake Off

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Hey Guys I've got another one.

In my new to me 97' the ABS light has come on. The E-Brake light stopped working about the same time (have only had the truck for about 2 weeks). I tried to pull a code for the ABS but to no avail. I have a Actron CP9580 that should be able to pull a code but it tells me that there is a problem connecting to the ABS computer. I called Actron to verify what I expected them to say which is the ABS computer was out. Does anyone know of or have experienced anyone having to replace one?

Also the E-Brake light has shut off, but I figure its in conjunction with the ABS system if anything. Although once or twice now it has turn back on when the truck has been started up. Any help is much appreciated.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the E-brake lite on it may be just that the brake has not released making the ABS lite to come on. Apply the E brake fully then release. Put it in gear and see if the truck moves just while idleing Fwd. and Rev. Another thing to do is block the front wheels, put it in neutral, jack up the back one side at a time and see if there is any drag/stuck on either side. That can trigger the ABS. There are no codes for the ABS. P1536 Parking brake applied fault.

Last edited:

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Ok I will have to try that either tomorrow or on Friday when I get off of work. As far as jacking up the back side of the truck should I leave it running or should the truck be off and in neutral?

Part of the problem is going to be getting the E-Brake light to come on when it is set. It seems at least for the last two days that it only intermittently comes on when the truck is started with the E-Brake.

Just out of curiosity not sure if you know or not but would the RABS sensor go bad and cause either of these issues to occur?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I will have to try that either tomorrow or on Friday when I get off of work. As far as jacking up the back side of the truck should I leave it running or should the truck be off and in neutral?

I'm sure you don't want the truck running, but you have to have it in neutral not in park so you can spin the wheels by hand. Read my post again.

Is your truck 4 wheel disc brakes?

Last edited:

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
No its not 4 wheel disc. I have drum rears. I wasn't sure if you wanted the truck running to allow to view if the E-Brake wasn't releasing or not. I have the post printed out and I will hopefully get to it this weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS

very common ABS light cause is rear axel speed sensor.

Also take your E brake switch out and clean it or replace it. they get dirty

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Where is the E-Brake switch located just out of curiosity. Also the Rear ABS sensor is the on on the Differential correct?

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
abs

E brake switch is on the pedal Assembly on mine. Tiny Little switch that the pedal hits.

Yes ABS sensor is on top of rear differential

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Excellent! I will have to order me up a rear abs sensor and I'll double check with the sensor on the pedal and see if it needs to be replaced. I will see if this fixes the problem!

wils2527

Dumb Engineer
Reaction score
Hey OLDBULL8,
I was able to mess around with the rear end this weekend and did what you had suggested in the post above. After releasing the E-Brake with the truck in neutral I did not have any resistance with the wheels spinning.

Would you agree with howards@howard that it might be worth the $15 for the rear sensor for the ABS? Or do you have some more trouble shooting that I could do before I spend the money? Thank you for your time in advance!