A Post I Don't Want To Make

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bent rod. Mine sounds like that but runs. Was it hard to start/turn over the first time before the video. Mine cranks first time every time. Does not take much fluid to bend one, takes more to hydrolock.

Compression tester time. Mine have been # 7 & or #8 cylinders

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think it sounded like it struggled on one compression stroke on a cylinder. I can't be sure. It starts fine now, just starts aggressively tapping on a cylinder like a fuel knock, high pitched raspy tapping noise. Has a miss that is noticeable between 800-1200 rpm, fades up high or at low idle sometimes it will "cough" but that cough seems like it actually fires on that cylinder as the smoke clears for a moment out the exhaust.

I'm just trying to imagine this in my head, wouldn't the bent rod not allow the exhaust valve to open the whole way but it would still seat? Mine having the fuel like smoke smell would be unburnt fuel out the exhaust valve.. I just really hope the valve itself isn't damaged, I don't have a shop near me that will touch an idi and I cannot pull heads on this thing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bent rod would make the piston assembly shorter. Besides making a racket coming up the cylinder while it's pushing the piston off-center, that piston assembly would not have enough compression height to reliably squeeze the air in the cylinder and get it hot enough to light off every time.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So maybe I'm confused, I thought we meant bent pushrod not connecting rod.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Wouldn't cracking injectors remove the banging noise though?
most of the time yes. Had one recently that was very hard to pinpoint cylinder that was knocking, noticed with injector line off that two injector inlets didnt have fuel in them......they were stuck open.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I'm just trying to imagine this in my head, wouldn't the bent rod not allow the exhaust valve to open the whole way but it would still seat? Mine having the fuel like smoke smell would be unburnt fuel out the exhaust valve.. I just really hope the valve itself isn't damaged, I don't have a shop near me that will touch an idi and I cannot pull heads on this thing.
If you have a bent push rod, it is now shorter, and will open that valve less or not at all. If the valve is now bent it will not likely seat when closed. (Let’s say your valve guide is very worn and the valve is only slightly bent it could still seat/seal.)

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What compression tester can I get that I can test from the glow plug hole? My area doesn't have the harbor freight one that goes through the glow plugs that everyone commonly gets.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the original injection pump on the truck? My pump went out a while back and made the same noise just not as consistent. I wish we could post videos on here.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope new 2 years ago from Mel and injectors. Definitely not fuel as if I rev it up and shut it off the noise continues.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now I can't get 5,7, and 8s glow plugs to come out. Tried to crank the engine and shoot them our, just not happening.

I'm honestly to the someone just come take it stage. Even if the engine is junk it's a good t19, transfer case, ip and injectors, etc. Gotta be worth something. Either that or I take stuff off of it and send it packing. Even if I can get the glow plugs out and figure out which hole is dead, I can't take the heads off or deal with a connecting rod issue. This is just disgusting, I have two other trucks, two cars, and the wife's suv. This was intended to be a winter beater but I made the mistake of liking it since it was so reliable that I started to give a damn about it and make things better and that bit me in the ass.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
What compression tester can I get that I can test from the glow plug hole? My area doesn't have the harbor freight one that goes through the glow plugs that everyone commonly gets.
They do shipping for a reasonable price.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#7 and #8 glow plugs missing a good 3/4 an inch of the plug. Got them out finally. No clue how long they've been gone.

I can crank the engine over without the glow plugs and there's no noises. Just massive hissing out the glow plug holes. No holes appear totally dead, I sprayed pb blaster down each gp hole and they all violently spray out when spinning.

I'm guessing one of the exhaust valves in the back are smacking into a piston with a glow plug on top and losing tons of compression but it's still making enough to shoot out my pb blaster.

I checked harbor freight website and that compression tester is only sold in stores not online now. Blah.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to napa and buy a cheap bore scope and look down in the glow plug hole and see if you can see the tip to the glow plug. hopefully it didnt damage anything to bad. Im guessing they were autolite glow plugs? only use motorcraft they wont mushroom

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All motorcraft. Sadly. They look like they've been gone for a bit, at least since it started to run like garbage broken edge had seen combustion. Burnt with carbon on the bottom.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine is not junked yet. Used piston & rod would be easy to access. Just have to have gaskets & sealer (for oil pan).