A Post I Don't Want To Make

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got up for work today and fired up the 6.9 and was greeted by horrid clacking.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm guessing that I've somehow dropped a valve, between the smoke and clatter which is constant with rpm, engine shakes like 1 is missing.

I've done a lot more than I ever thought I would with these trucks, hell engines in general with some of the lawn mower engines I've rebuilt from looking like parts sales on the floor but taking heads off this truck is just something I cannot do. I guess I will need to take valve covers off and try to identify what is happening here once I figure out which side is angry which I couldn't tell this morning at all.

That being said, when I end up selling this thing and being disgusted because I can't fix it, opinions on fair price are welcome. I got the thing half running and ended up replacing glow plugs, return lines, rear tank, fuel selector valve, fan clutch, IP and Injectors from Mel, put in a new clutch and flywheel (well @FarmerFrank did that) all within the last 3 years. I added under dash AC also. 143k miles. I paid 5k, I'd think if it were running normally it would be worth 4k ish.. so maybe 3k since it's got said issue.. I don't know. (1985 F350, 4x4, T19, 3.55 gears)

Beyond disgusted.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the valve cover and look for a valve not working. Maybe a collapsed lifter. That sucks. I know the feeling well. Just keep in mind that new pickups are in the 40k range just to start. That's what I have to tell myself when something goes wrong.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna pull one when I get home. I couldn't tell which side it sounded like it was coming from. It's strange, didn't make a sound last time I started it, now this. I almost think water got through the intake but the air cleaner lid grommet thing doesn't appear to leak if I poured water on it.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully something sticking. I would think large hardpart failures happen while running. If it was running fine, then sat all nite to cool, you would think maybe something is hanging up. or a lifter not pumping up. Hopefully.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think bad rocker over dropped valve.

Pull the covers and check. I know it's an immediate heart drop, but all might not be lost.

FWIW, When I've seen dropped valves, that were still somehow running, they seem to run a whole lot worse then this. Most wouldn't run.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clacking is pretty audible.. at least from the outside of the truck. It sounds very similar to an old 300 I had that always had a tapping when started cold after a few days of sitting, but it didn't miss while it did it, just made noise. This for sure is running dead on that cylinder. Oddly when it idles slow it's like it almost fires once in a while after the cold idle kicked out. When it does that, the smoke from the exhaust stops on that stroke. Still at work, forgot I had taken that video also.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Hard to tell from the sound in the video, but I would be cracking injector lines before I pulled a cover. And then glow plugs.........I saw one lose a whole tip that sounded just like that.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think I heard a "snap" when it started this morning on the first compression revolution once it made a complete turn of the engine. Can't be sure, I've tried to think back.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nothing strange cracking injectors or on this side. What all has to come off for passenger side?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hour north of there. Kittanning.

I took the passenger side valve cover off also. I don't see anything wrong here either.

So honestly I have no idea. No signs of a bad head gasket, the smoke and miss makes no sense with each injector hurting the engine the same, I don't get how it's clacking like this. Glow plugs act the same not like it's short cycling on a dead one with a missing tip.