92' with 45k getting a Gearstar tranny and rear main seal: what else should I be doing

Daniel J Sperry

Reaction score
My recently acquired 92' F250 7.3 with 45k is getting a Gearstar stage 3 tranny and rear main seal; wondering what else I should be doing while the tranny is out? Appreciate the input. If this has been discussed, a re-direct would be much appreciated.

Dan
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
What a cherry truck! Only 45K mi, what a find this late in the game.

While you are doing the tranny work perhaps think about doing the u-joints, center bearing if you have one, and change the diff oil. Remember age and mileage both cause things to wear out.

Also I would try to get out as much of your old tranny fluid as possible. So blow out the cooler lines, cooler, and external cooler. If not getting a new TC, drain your old one. ATF has changed a lot over the last +20 years, so starting 98% fresh with one brand and type should help.

Check the teeth on your flexplate, if chewed up (That would be hard to believe with that little mileage), replace it.

If your transmission mount has old, cracked, or failing rubber then replace.

Also you may want to adjust the rear brakes.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I see soo many of these trucks with 300k plus on the original rear u joints, that I wouldnt recommend replacing them unless there was something wrong with the seals or they didnt move freely.......I am assuming 1350 joints in that truck, if they are 1330, look at them pretty closely.

Daniel J Sperry

Reaction score
What a cherry truck! Only 45K mi, what a find this late in the game.

While you are doing the tranny work perhaps think about doing the u-joints, center bearing if you have one, and change the diff oil. Remember age and mileage both cause things to wear out.

Also I would try to get out as much of your old tranny fluid as possible. So blow out the cooler lines, cooler, and external cooler. If not getting a new TC, drain your old one. ATF has changed a lot over the last +20 years, so starting 98% fresh with one brand and type should help.

Check the teeth on your flexplate, if chewed up (That would be hard to believe with that little mileage), replace it.

If your transmission mount has old, cracked, or failing rubber then replace.

Also you may want to adjust the rear brakes.

Thanks tons for the input. The Gearstar tranny comes with a new cooler, but I'll definitely purge the remaining fluid before installing and filling. I'll check the flexplate teeth, tranny mounts and U-joints. Brakes were done just before I bought it and I just did the diff service. Thanks again guys! Anyone else have a suggestion?

Daniel J Sperry

Reaction score
Not very common for rear main to leak on 7.3

We're not 100% sure the leak is coming from the rear main. It appeared that way when the tranny was in. Tranny was pulled over the weekend so now that it's out we'll be able to better locate the leak source. Appreciate the input.

Dan

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Degrease and wash that engine. Easy to find the leaks then & will be so much purtyer