Rear main seal replacement

Mattbo

Reaction score
Keep in mind these are both in the 1993 F-250 7.3 NA subsection, but if you look at the outer diameter measurements sleeve 99387 is bigger and that’s the one I just sent back. When I opened it to verify the part I ordered it says all the same infor, but for an F-350 that’s the only difference I could find.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Mattbo

Reaction score
All my parts came in I’m tackling the beginning of reinstall tomorrow morning (crank sleeve and rear plate with seal) does anyone know if there are torque specs for the plate an do I need to use some sort of adhesive on the sleeve to the crank? I read somewhere someone mentions aircraft adhesive??? I ordered the Detroit book off of rockauto, but it hasn’t come in yet and I’d like to get started tomorrow.

Mattbo

Reaction score
I found some torque specs on other threads and have a pretty good idea for the important “can’t get to spots” after they're installed

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Can attest we do the same thing on the big red engines too. They never leak.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Okay fine, real engines like all the Cummins ones. Detroits are dumb and cat's engineering makes me question reality.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay fine, real engines like all the Cummins ones. Detroits are dumb and cat's engineering makes me question reality.
CAT emissions... fAnTaStIc... AlWaYs WoRkS... (not)

But... but... Detroits make big noise... (but they do suck to work on)

Cummins is a decent medium, I do generally prefer a pre emissions CAT, we have an 06 Kenworth T800 at work with a 625 KOTH C15 that will walk all over the brand new 389 Petes with 605 X15s, even if the KW is loaded heavier. It is all motor, such a beast. Power band is way different, Cummins likes to pull under 1500 rpm, seems like the CAT prefers 1500 or more. It still has the factory compounds, the motor was recently remanned. It is a 13 speed, the Petes are 18, except for the heavy haul truck, but it is way different. Double frame, coffin sleeper, 46k rears, 20k pusher, 20k steer, 18+4 and geared quite a bit deeper.

I am not a fan of the digital dash in the newest Petes that we just got... nor in the new Dodge truck we got... in fact, I don't like the idea of a fully digital dash at all... the info screen between the gauges in the 10+ year old trucks doesn't really bother me, but all analog gauges is fine by me... 'advancements' are starting to turn into gimmicks...

Mattbo

Reaction score
Update: the speedi-sleeve fit and went on pretty easy the ***** was peeling that back part off (instructions said to if it was near the case) The plate was a bit tricky and I spent about an hour second guessing myself and hyping myself up at the same time, but it went on pretty smoothly I used a Winn-dixie vinegar gallon jug I cut down and cleaned it really good before using it. The RVT was a bit chaotic and where to add/did I get enough here or there. I waited about an hour then snugged everything down and started on the SMF installing the Timken pilot bearing I upgraded to. I wasn't very happy with how that went, but it's in there and I hung the flywheel with the help of my floor jack ***** is heavy! That was my stopping point for the day since I went to torque the fly bolts down and my ancient torque wrench seems to not want to click so I had to order a new one and focused on the interior ripping out flooring and cleaning up to throw some paint and sound deadening down. I'll hopefully be back at it Thursday, but should hopefully be done realistically Friday and able to test drive it all.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
'advancements' are starting to turn into gimmicks
I've been thinking that since the 90's when Dodge used their 287 (or something stupid like that) cup holders as a main selling point for their mini vans. All I could think was "so there's NOTHING else about these that would make someone want to buy them?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online