92 Idi? or 94 power stroke?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: got psd dash out and found a passel of wires chewed up, and vacuum hoses! Got wires repaired and will be repairing the hoses today! also took clutch pedal plate out and repaired the post that was worn half through! Will hopefully be putting dash back together, and taking seats out so I can pressure wash carpets and seats (full off Rat ****!! :puke:) Im going to drive for a while with reverse issue, and see how it goes! Does the reverse gear wear, or the reverse idler gear? Im sure it will be obvious when I pull apart and repair! As for the 92 IDI, Its just sitting in my shop patiently waiting for steering column bearings, and a new starter install! Debating on whether to tear the tranny out of the 92 and put in the psd, or just leave it together and rebuild the tranny in the psd! Decisions, decisions!!! I don't really want to go stealing parts off of the Idi, it is still a nice truck, and I might have to sell it!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a column out of a 89 F350 auto im not using. 30 bucks plus shipping.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Update: got psd dash out and found a passel of wires chewed up, and vacuum hoses! Got wires repaired and will be repairing the hoses today! also took clutch pedal plate out and repaired the post that was worn half through! Will hopefully be putting dash back together, and taking seats out so I can pressure wash carpets and seats (full off Rat ****!! :puke:) Im going to drive for a while with reverse issue, and see how it goes! Does the reverse gear wear, or the reverse idler gear? Im sure it will be obvious when I pull apart and repair! As for the 92 IDI, Its just sitting in my shop patiently waiting for steering column bearings, and a new starter install! Debating on whether to tear the tranny out of the 92 and put in the psd, or just leave it together and rebuild the tranny in the psd! Decisions, decisions!!! I don't really want to go stealing parts off of the Idi, it is still a nice truck, and I might have to sell it!

Don't remember exactly when it happened, but early and late ZF-5's have different ratios for the lower gears. I do know that the later OBS Powerstrokes had the better lower gears, so the early ones might have the same as the IDI's. If you do swap transmissions, you might have a slightly different takeoff curve for shifting. Doubtful that you'd even notice it though (or care if you did).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'd have to double check on mine, but I noticed a slight difference.
But I notice weird little things like that.
Probably switched in 95.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesel ZF-S5-42 was used up to, and including, the 1995 model year, and had the narrower range. The diesel ZF-S5-47 was introduced in the 1996 model year, and had the wider range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online