92 Idi? or 94 power stroke?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, its zf5! and just to clarify, the motor ran strong and sounded great the whole time! It never actually quit running until I turned the key off! the noise I heard was coming from transmission/ transfer case area! It is a possibility that the batteries were slightly weak from cranking on it for several sessions the day before, and possible they didn't have adequate time to charge since the trip was short! The racket I heard and am concerned about was more of some grinding and popping,(may very well be the drive line skipping around) but can't help to think the tranny at least is gonna require surgery! It would shift into reverse and then pop right out as soon as the clutch was let out, (couldn't even hold it in)!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Yes sir, its zf5! and just to clarify, the motor ran strong and sounded great the whole time! It never actually quit running until I turned the key off! the noise I heard was coming from transmission/ transfer case area! It is a possibility that the batteries were slightly weak from cranking on it for several sessions the day before, and possible they didn't have adequate time to charge since the trip was short! The racket I heard and am concerned about was more of some grinding and popping,(may very well be the drive line skipping around) but can't help to think the tranny at least is gonna require surgery! It would shift into reverse and then pop right out as soon as the clutch was let out, (couldn't even hold it in)!

Your reverse gear teeth are gone then. Not enough gear left for the shifter gear to hold on to. Or, the synchros are gone and won't let reverse fully engage. Either way, that transmission is going to have to come apart to fix it.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update! The grinding and crunching I heard, I am almost embarrassed to admit, was the starter not disengaging! Bad news--the starter is toast, Good news--the tranny, transfer case, and motor still are functioning! I also replaced the slave cylinder and it shifts a lot better! The reverse issue is still an issue, but I'm not completely sure whats going on there! (lindstromjd) you might be right about the teeth, or synchronizers being bad, but once in a while it will go in and hold! IDK!!!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Update! The grinding and crunching I heard, I am almost embarrassed to admit, was the starter not disengaging! Bad news--the starter is toast, Good news--the tranny, transfer case, and motor still are functioning! I also replaced the slave cylinder and it shifts a lot better! The reverse issue is still an issue, but I'm not completely sure whats going on there! (lindstromjd) you might be right about the teeth, or synchronizers being bad, but once in a while it will go in and hold! IDK!!!

Unfortunately, low voltage batteries can keep a starter engaged. That's probably what did it in for you.

Try double-clutching it when you go to put it in reverse. If that works, it's the synchros. If it still spits it back out, it's more likely the gear.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, thats actually my next move! Was just working on some research on what fluid to use! Heard trying some 30w, but I'm not sure if that is a specific transmission fluid, or if I need some specific brand?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been searching some threads on this transmission deal, and it seems to be more common than I thought!! Now I'm second guessing my self on which way to go! My gut tells me that the teeth on the reverse gear are worn, but I dropped the fluid today and it seemed a little dirty, possibly low a tad, but no obvious sighns of metal wear! (no metallic color in oil) Obviously Im going to try putting fresh oil in first, as soon as i can get to the parts store, but I'm still getting mixed answers on the oil! I think the factory calls for mercon v if I'm not mistaken, but some folks say that some sae30w engine oil will work better, with some lucas product mixed in! Some are saying royal purple, and others are claiming a laundry list of other stuff! Also i really can't come up with a fluid capacity definite! Again, some say fill to spill in check plug, others say 6 litres, and so on and so forth! Also I'm getting a lot of feed back about anything from worn bushing on clutch pedal, to bad clutch, to flex in the fire wall! So now I guess I'm secretly Hoping the issue lies externally and i don't have to take tranny apart! Sorry for all the rambling and complaining, but there must be a standard capacity and fluid fill procedure, (probably on this site somewhere, I just don't have the technical capacity to navigate my way in that direction) Thanks for helping guys, I do appreciate all You guys help!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you can get it into forward gears fine, that's not a clutch issue.
Just me, but for the trans I would stick with what the factory calls for.
Try putting it into reverse before starting it.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i asked this question last week.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?71178-ATF-or-MERCON-V-in-your-ZF5
bottom line is in a manual ATF is ATF.
weight of fluid differs from your prefrence of noise and climate in your area.
the cheapest for now is what i would do.
i got a gallon of dex/merc from vato zone.
takes the entire gallon.
and if reverse works, call it a flush, and replace with your choice of synthetic

Last edited:

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good fellas, THANK YOU for all the input and the links! I will try filling it when I get home from work, and see what goes on! I will also try shift before startup! I guess a rebuild would only benefit me in the future if thats what it requires! The motor has 220,000 and it purrs like a kitten!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"The factory" (as in Ford) didn't build the transmission. ZF, who DID build it, REQUIRES _synthetic_ ATF in these transmissions when commissioned behind a diesel engine.

What happens when you put it in reverse with the engine off, then start it and engage the clutch?

Other big thing to consider is the dual-mass flywheel, ticking time bomb.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
"The factory" (as in Ford) didn't build the transmission. ZF, who DID build it, REQUIRES _synthetic_ ATF in these transmissions when commissioned behind a diesel engine.

What happens when you put it in reverse with the engine off, then start it and engage the clutch?

Other big thing to consider is the dual-mass flywheel, ticking time bomb.
My owners manual says the same, which is what I meant. Lol
And no joke on the DMF.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All new to this, so what is with the DMF! Is there something I should be looking into to replace the flywheel? Im sure this is common topic on here, but I really haven't frequented the site in a while! Sorry for all the silly questions, but I suppose I can't get an answer, unless I ask! I did try to put in gear before start up and engage clutch. Nothing really changes! I did however discover, after fluid change, that for whatever reason I can put trans. in 1st gear and then just ever so slightly go over to reverse, and she will stay in about every 4-5 tries!:dunno Thanks again guys for the patience!!