92 Idi? or 94 power stroke?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 92 idi with 330,000 on it but runs strong! A little under powered when tugging cows to pasture, but still a good truck! The steering column had play in it (as i had posted about not too long ago) but finally got to the point where the wheel moves around enough to make me a little uneasy! Long story short, I was searching for a used steering column the other day and remembered there was a fella down the road from where I work, who has a farm full of crap (including a couple old fords)! I had been meaning to stop and ask him what they were as they were behind a shelter belt and only able to spot with a thoroughly trained eye!:sly Long story short I finally stopped the other day and asked about them and low and behold they were both diesel trucks!;Sweet One was a 87(I think he said) brick nose crew cab 4+4, 4 speed with a blown up 6.9 that had some parts robbed off of it, and the other was a 94 ext cab 4+4 power stroke that he claims ran great when he parked it to fix the slave cylinder, then a pack rat reaked havoc with the wiring! So I ended up buying the 94 for $510.00! Tonight I started to dig into the wiring and make the proper repairs, as it appears the pack rat was mainly nested in under fuel filter housing, I soldered and repaired all wires that were chewed, as the wire colors were still obvious to see! I tried to crank after and it turns over but no smoke yet. I have checked fuel bowl and have added fresh fuel! I will investigate further this weekend! The question I have is simply this, if for some reason I cannot get the thing to run for a reasonable amount of $$$$ is it possible to use the turbo set up on the 92 idi? And is there any thing you all would suggest on getting the 94 stroker going! BTW the ipr and and the plug just in front of it (can't remember what that is) wires were chewed through, and both of them had a grey w\red tracer wire, is it possible to get those two mixed!:dunno Would it make any difference? Thanx guys!!!!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 92 idi with 330,000 on it but runs strong! A little under powered when tugging cows to pasture, but still a good truck! The steering column had play in it (as i had posted about not too long ago) but finally got to the point where the wheel moves around enough to make me a little uneasy! Long story short, I was searching for a used steering column the other day and remembered there was a fella down the road from where I work, who has a farm full of crap (including a couple old fords)! I had been meaning to stop and ask him what they were as they were behind a shelter belt and only able to spot with a thoroughly trained eye!:sly Long story short I finally stopped the other day and asked about them and low and behold they were both diesel trucks!;Sweet One was a 87(I think he said) brick nose crew cab 4+4, 4 speed with a blown up 6.9 that had some parts robbed off of it, and the other was a 94 ext cab 4+4 power stroke that he claims ran great when he parked it to fix the slave cylinder, then a pack rat reaked havoc with the wiring! So I ended up buying the 94 for $510.00! Tonight I started to dig into the wiring and make the proper repairs, as it appears the pack rat was mainly nested in under fuel filter housing, I soldered and repaired all wires that were chewed, as the wire colors were still obvious to see! I tried to crank after and it turns over but no smoke yet. I have checked fuel bowl and have added fresh fuel! I will investigate further this weekend! The question I have is simply this, if for some reason I cannot get the thing to run for a reasonable amount of $$$$ is it possible to use the turbo set up on the 92 idi? And is there any thing you all would suggest on getting the 94 stroker going! BTW the ipr and and the plug just in front of it (can't remember what that is) wires were chewed through, and both of them had a grey w\red tracer wire, is it possible to get those two mixed!:dunno Would it make any difference? Thanx guys!!!!

Possible? Yes. Practical? Not in the slightest. Just find yourself a good used engine harness and call it done. Powerstrokes are their own animal, but they'll blow the pants off an N/A IDI when it comes to towing.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, sounds like the practical thing to do! I have a 2000 power stroke as well that is my "sunday go to meeting" truck, so i agree the power stroke is superior! I am trying to put together a good work rig, and really have enjoyed my IDI trucks in the past, as I have the knowledge to diagnose them pretty quickly! But the power stroke is definitely the more practical user, i agree!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Thank you, sounds like the practical thing to do! I have a 2000 power stroke as well that is my "sunday go to meeting" truck, so i agree the power stroke is superior! I am trying to put together a good work rig, and really have enjoyed my IDI trucks in the past, as I have the knowledge to diagnose them pretty quickly! But the power stroke is definitely the more practical user, i agree!

You just have to enjoy each truck for what it's designed for. I'm partial to the Powerstrokes, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of my old IDI. Sometimes. Then I go out and drive my PSD and remember, "oh yeah, THAT's why I like this truck".

I'm sure you've figured out by now that the SD and OBS Powerstrokes have their own nuances between the two engines, even though they're basically the same thing. You seem to be on the right track to get the '94 going again. I would just keep filling the fuel bowl and the HPOP reservoir until it fires off. The early (94-95) HPOP reservoirs didn't have a good check valve to keep oil in the HPOP. So your injectors not firing is probably from that. Just crank, top off fluids, crank again, repeat. And the fuel pump is mechanical, so it's going to have to re-prime the system after sitting for so long. Only way it can do that is with the engine turning, so remember that. The electric fuel pump wasn't used until '99 with the SD's.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i woulda bought the 87 also!
i wouldnt use that turbo on your IDI, find a waistgated turbo if you're going to go through the trouble.
its a lill bit of work involved.
if you have ever dove into the wiring of your PS, you know it could be a
PITA!
but when its said and done, completely worth it!
get a wiring diagram. and make sure all the wires are xactly where they need to go.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally one day I hope to have both one day. My IDI I have now is gonna be my fully restored "go to church" truck. Once this one is done I want to build a reg cab flat bed with a built PSD or Cummins 24v in it. That will be my tow pig/ hot rod. I have had a couple IDI's and I love em but the late 90's diesels have their advantages as well. Anything past the 7.3 PSD I don't have much faith in.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My IDI tows 15,000lb traliers and shows me up to meetings on Sundays. You guys are lucky having multiple rigs! That PSD was a DEAL! I'm sure you will have it going in short order. Good luck with it!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses! I would love to have a yard full of these things too, as I have had many IDIs in the past! (Wish i still had them all) I went the 6.0 route and learned my lesson a few years back, and actually did convert that pickup to a 12v cummins! (sold it as well) Thank you for mentioning the hpop, (linstromjd) i never thought about that being an issue! And also the prime on the pump! Ill keep you all posted, and (IDIoit) I plan to buy that brick nose in the future, just have to knock out some other projects before the wifey will let me!(will be my DT466 truck probably, as I have one on reserve from an old buss of my Dads)

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It lives!!! Got home from work tonight and filled HPOP res, and fuel bowl, and put on charger, and after about 30sec of cranking the stroker lives! Thank you all for the advise, it is greatly appreciated!! I took it for a spin to see what all I have to work on next, and it sounds like the transmission is not up to par! In fact it won't go into rev. which forced me to circle the half mile section, and at one point it sounded like all hell was breaking loose and then it just kind of got quitter? It never acted like it was lacking power to the axle, but definitely sounded like it chewed something up and spit it out? Noticed when I looked underneath that the carrier bearing bracket was hanging by one bolt, and the drive line must have been just flailing around (yikes)! Kind of concerns me cause when I shut it off and tried to restart, the starter just clicked like nothing was turning over! Hopefully its nothing major, as I left it alone for the night and figure I can re examine in the day light! This thing spooled up pretty good and felt pretty snappy, which is encouraging! It drove right in the drive and parked no problem so I'm hoping nothing is affected motor wise!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like your charging system is shot.
could explain why it started to run like crap.
for that price, sounds like a 5 speed is in your future!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
sounds to me like your charging system is shot.
could explain why it started to run like crap...

Unlikely, I think. One small go-around trip that lasts less than 10 minutes isn't going to kill a pair of good batteries if the alternator wasn't working. They might have gone bad from sitting too long without a charge though. The running like crap part should more likely be air in the system and the computer trying to compensate for what it thinks is bad signals, or a possible EBPV acting up and closing when it wasn't supposed to. It all depends on what it does for him tomorrow and if any of these symptoms / problems return.

And part of me thinks this should get moved to the Powerstroke section now, since it's all we're talking about anymore. :)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
94 = already has zf5. Lol
Could be fuel pump, pickup screens, restriction, still air in system, etc, etc, etc.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance