89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good as always. You probably said somewhere, but what paint are you using on the plastic parts. I saw the adhesion promotor but not the paint.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment Laser!

I'm using PPG DBI paint. It's an interior version of their DBC or DBU exterior paint. This is a mix and spray non-catalyzed paint. It's worked really well. I've been super happy with it. Easy to spray, covers well etc. I've done the whole interior minus door panels so far and have part of my quart left. I think one quart will completely do the crewcab interior.

- Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Trackspeeder! I was pleased with it also. Now I still have the diagram and didn't have to get a vinyl place to make one up for me. ;Sweet

Well we did the first Family road trip with the truck pulling a trailer. We were pulling my 8'x30' 14k rated cargo/camping trailer. Not sure what the combined unit weighed, but I'm guessing in around 13K. The trailer is a heavy brick and the truck I'm guessing is pushing 8K. I'll try to weight the combo here in a few weeks when we head out camping again. We went to a weekend threshing bee or antique tractor show. It's a ton of fun to see all the old tractors and stationary engines. There was even a Steam tractor at the show this year. We only took a couple small lawn tractors.

Heading up friday afternoon it was 95 Degrees with around 90% humidity. It was absolutely brutal. Truck did Ok pulling the trailer. A/c in the truck performed mediocre to acceptable. Definitely not overly cool. Engine temps were running high, but acceptable. I regret the ISSPro temp gage I bought as it's resolution is crap. It reads 180 then 240. I few more markings between there would be great.

Now sunday heading home it was 85 and lower humidity. The a/c was acceptable and the truck engine temps were right in line.

I know I need to turn up the fuel as I only hit 900 on the pyro and an occasional 8PSI of boost. So I'll give the pump a couple flats and check timing before we go on the next trip.

Regarding the a/c function I'm not sure what to do. The fan doesn't seem to blow as hard as in my 93. I may swap blower motors between the trucks and see if the 93's works better. Also do the OBS vs brick nose vents have inherently different flow characteristics? My a/c system is all brand new accept for a pressure switch. Otherwise literally every component is new.

I'm also a fat guy and really love my a/c. My wife thought it was fine, but I want it to perform a little better. Typically I freeze everybody out when people travel with me.

-Jeremy

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right futzing on a few more little things.
-alternator belt tightened up
-Turned up the fuel screw 2.5 flats. Wow does that make a difference. I may need to play with my waste gate now though. I damn near hit 15 PSI hot rodding it last night. Temps were fine still though.
-played with door fits. Drivers door and right rear door shut harder than I'd like. I got the drivers door better and the right rear door is good now.

Other than that I've been driving it. Truck does need a bath though. Living on gravel really sucks sometimes.

-Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another quick update. Been driving the truck. Runs nice down the road. Did a little more work and had a few gremlins pop up.

Ford explorer keyless entry died. Worked fine last week now nothing last night or today. When I do the stereo and finish the door panels I'll have to dig into that further.

Installed a k&N filter in the ATS 093 filter box. That makes a big difference over the paper element. I now hit 2 psi of boost running down the road at 2K RPM. It also cleaned up 90% of the black smoke I was getting on shifts.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used the truck to go camping this weekend. Pulled the camper around 300 miles round trip. Mileage was low in my opinion at 8MPG. I was cruising around 65 unless I was bucking a head wind or the speed limit. This truck and trailer are heavy. I checked the scale and the truck and camper weigh in at 15,600lbs. And that's without all our gear or people. I'm guessing fully loaded we are easily over 16,000. I've got 3.55 gears. I'm wondering if 3.73 gears would be better. Overall though power was pretty decent. I was able to hold overdrive doing 60-65 pretty easily. I'd drop into 4th do do a hill here or there. I can hit 10Psi Pretty easily, but only about 1100 on the pyro and most the time was around 900 degrees. This is Iowa and it's pretty flat.

Overall pretty pleased with how it ran. I'm gonna check/set the timing and possibly play with the fuel some more.

-Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I got that kind of mileage that heavy Id probably be thrilled. What is it doing empty?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laser I haven't checked it empty yet, but I'm guessing low teens. I'm gonna weigh the truck this week and see what it is by itself. I've been thinking it's probably around 8,000lb, but I'm thinking it could be heavier.

Oh and I absolutely love the US gear pulling heavy. It's nice being able to split all the gears to keep the truck in the sweet spot on the RPM's. Now the t-19 I'm thinking needs to go. I'm in no rush, but I'll be working on finding a ZF-5 to replace it.

-Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
small update. Truck weights 7600 lbs with 5 passengers and fuel. So little lighter than I thought. Empty mileage appears to be around 13-14. Not real good, but I have been driving aggressive. I'm guessing if I stay out of the foot feed maybe 15?

I still get smoke until the turbo spools up. I only seem to spool after 1/2 throttle and above 1800-2000 RPM's. When pulling I can hit 10-12 PSI and 1200 on the pyrometer. I'm wondering if I have my fuel a little hot and may adjust it back down trying to get some better mileage. Depends on what I find when I time it.

Also I think I'm done with the 3.55 gears. I just pulled my big trailer 200 miles picking up a car and a topper. On the way to get the car i had my bobcat in the trailer so I was probably at 19-20K total. The truck struggled up hills with a headwind. I was splitting gears and downshifting, but I couldn't hold speed. I'd be hitting 10-12 PSI and 1100-1200. I think I need to just suck it up and go with the 4.10 gears. I really think 3.73's would be about perfect for towing vs running empty, but I have 4.10 gears already. I've never swapped gears, but I'm up for trying.

Haven't really been doing anything with the truck other than using it. I'm hoping later this fall to get a few more things finished out like bedlining and a stereo, but We'll see how it goes.

-Jeremy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my experience with ring & pinion replacement, its not very hard to get the pinion in place.
if youre replacing bearings, the races make it a total pain.
and make sure you know what your pinion depth is supposed to be.
a new crush sleeve is a must.
spacing the ring gear to your pinion isnt all that hard, some trial and error will happen, but the worst part of this is pulling the carrier.

of course if your 4.10 gears are already in a rearend, its a breeze to swap diff's

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Yea when I went to the dually I got 4.10 gears.... It kinda kills your top speed (screaming at 75mph) but I won't tow with 3.55 gears again like I had in my ext cab.

That weight is interesting... My dually cclb dually 4x4 with an aluminum contractors cap on it..with just me and full tanks was 7220# at the scrap yard last time I went.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you timed it yet? Based on what I have read, that sounds like your timing may be way retarded. Seems like your spool is coming really late in the RPM band. Is the waste gate hooked up? Forgive me, I dont' remember if you studded it or not.

Something here just doesn't sound quite right. Smoke and EGT's like that on a stock pump just seems wrong.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my experience with ring & pinion replacement, its not very hard to get the pinion in place.
if youre replacing bearings, the races make it a total pain.
and make sure you know what your pinion depth is supposed to be.
a new crush sleeve is a must.
spacing the ring gear to your pinion isnt all that hard, some trial and error will happen, but the worst part of this is pulling the carrier.

of course if your 4.10 gears are already in a rearend, its a breeze to swap diff's

I've read about changing gears a million times. It seems like it's one of those jobs that isn't that tough, but experience goes a long ways. I may just change diffs out. I have a 4.10 rear and front 60 sitting there. Neither of them are install ready though. They need paint and gone through.

Yea when I went to the dually I got 4.10 gears.... It kinda kills your top speed (screaming at 75mph) but I won't tow with 3.55 gears again like I had in my ext cab.

That weight is interesting... My dually cclb dually 4x4 with an aluminum contractors cap on it..with just me and full tanks was 7220# at the scrap yard last time I went.

Yeah this things a heavy pig. I've got Ranch hand bumper front and rear with matching running boards. I also have a T-19, Cast iron Us gear and cast Iron 205. I definitely wasn't jenny craiging this thing when I built it.

Glad to hear you like the 4.10 gears. I've debated them for ever. I think the 3.55's could work if I wanted to build a monster engine and some day i might, but a gear change seems cheaper and easier right now.

Have you timed it yet? Based on what I have read, that sounds like your timing may be way retarded. Seems like your spool is coming really late in the RPM band. Is the waste gate hooked up? Forgive me, I dont' remember if you studded it or not.

Something here just doesn't sound quite right. Smoke and EGT's like that on a stock pump just seems wrong.

yeah that's kind of what I was thinking too. Spool seems late. It's a ATS turbo Exhaust housing with 3" elbow. VS my 93 is a factory turbo with the 3" downpipe v-band mod, but ford exhaust housing. No studs or anything exotic for me.

I definitely gotta get the timing set!