89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Along with the brow strip, you can also do a clear uv on the whole windshield.
Just be careful, some (cheaper ones I guess) will be all trippy when wearing polarized glasses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok where does a guy get the clear UV tint? I actually only really want the UV protection the front doors and windshield for heat.

I got checked for window tint years ago in this truck. Took all the tint off during the rebuild. don't need to make it a cop magnet.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, UV tint is a waste of time through glass in my opinion. Wavelength cutoff on glass is like 365 nm meaning the glass itself is going to adsorb the majority of the UV. Not saying you wont get some through it but I doubt a clear tint will help much because it is so thin. I suspect the windshield being laminated is actually a higher wavelength cutoff. To keep cut down on heat you need to reflect the infrared not the UV. Dark tint is worse because it adsorbs everything. I suspect the best "tint" would be the gold mirror stuff even as ugly as it is because it should be reflecting more of the infrared.

Take it for what it's worth.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've seen it work. Couple buddies had it it cars they bought.
Better than nothing. Lol
When I replace my windshield, I'll be doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
All the windows are tinted on my Excursion. I do believe it helps with the cooling. Mine are not dark, but more than just "A/C Tint"

Also not sure when they started, but most Ford's do seem to have some kind of UV coating on the windows...... I have "Sun Sensor/Transitions" prescription glasses. In my 91 VW, the lenses will darken. In my 3 Fords they will not darken, unless I have the window down, and the sun is coming directly in that window..... They operate off of UV, so that tells me there is some blocking in the glass..... 2 have darker tinted windows, the 00 and the 03, the 07 just has the "A/C Tint" as there is a very slight amount of tint to the glass, it's not a layer ON the glass like the other 2. I know the other 2 are applied tint, as at least 1 window in each vehicle has a defect........ I like the tinted windows 99% of the time (and mine are no where near "attention getters"). The only time I don't like them is at night, trying to back a trailer, I normally put all the windows down so I can see.....

If you like, I can try and get some pictures of all 3, so you can compare.... However, none of mine are "limo tint"........

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well quick update. I finally got my 5-speed and 1356 swapped into my truck. I took it on a 4 mile drive last night see if it worked and it did. I think I'm going to like the 5-speed. My US gear made it more challenging than I had hoped. I replaced a T-19 and NP205. The T-19 was fine, but the NP205 was a ***** to pull out of gear if you weren't in deep snow or ice. If you got it on pavement in 4x4 it bound up tight. Bent the linkage trying to pop it out of 4x4.

Highlights
1. 460 ZF-5 with the Us-gear at first drive has a wonderful 400-500 RPM split between gears. I really like it. 1st is really low, which will be good pulling heavy.
2. 1356 transfecase is bigger than NP205 and required me to remove part of a crossmember on the bottom of the cab.
3. Driveshafts all got reworked yet again in this truck. Front shaft is an f250, but being 45.5" long has really nice angles at the tranfercase and axle.
4. Found out the pinion nut was loose on rearend. Loctited it and ran it tight again, but anticipating this being a bigger repair next spring.
5. ZF-5 shifter hole needed to be moved 2" further back than the T-19 hole I'd cut. Not a big deal, but had to patch in my 3 year old carpet to cover the elongated hole. Actually looks pretty good.
6. And the speedometer doesn't work. It reads 25mph when moving. It might have popped out as I couldn't get the hold down onto the bolt right. It was tight to the cab. I need to clearence the floor or maybe shim it down a little. Still got to explore this. The gear drive I removed from the trasfercase appeared worn so I'm also concerned the drive gear in the transfercase needs replaced.

Thanks
Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online