89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would maybe try something made for aluminum to aluminum.
I mean I guess super glue would probably work. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading and it sounds like mirror glue with glue a new button on an old one. IDK?

Laser that bracket looks like what I need only in reverse. So the scale of adapting is correct, but I need it in the opposite way.

From what I've been reading sounds like you can remove the buttons by heating them and twisting them off. Then install a new button. Not sure how I feel about this. Wish I had a junk windshield laying around to practice on.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Seems like you'd have to get it ridiculously hot. I mean think of how hot it gets in the summertime, and doesn't come off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK how hot it got, but my little butane torch for wiring pulled the button right off. Heated it for like 15 seconds and twisted it with the pliers. Easy peasy lemon squeazy. I figured what the hell and got her done. Looks like Dorman sells a 3 pack of bases. I may mount the new one a touch higher as I'm tall. Typically rear view mirrors are in my line of sight.

Jeremy

You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres the problem. The tab is too small for the mirror slot.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1. The same reason I do not use flip down visors!

Yeah same here. Pretty sure my wife is suicidal. She's always using the flip down visors when I drive. I've had to flip hers up more than once so I could see!

Got a new button at lunch for a Chrysler. Fits really nice. I'll post a picture once I get to installing everything.

Jeremy

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Typically rear view mirrors are in my line of sight.

Yep, same here..... first thing I do when I get a new vehicle, I grab the shaft of the rear view mirror, push the whole thing toward the roof, as flat as I can against the windshield, the adjust the mirror so I can use it, and see under the mirror while in the drivers seat...... or just figure out the right place to "duck" so I can see under it.....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
+1. The same reason I do not use flip down visors!

Visors, what are those???? You mean the short shelf to hold paperwork?????

When I bought the Excursion, the P.O. had a strip of tint installed across the top of the windshield, and it stopped just above my normal line of site..... on my test drives (yes I drove it more than once) I remember thinking this tint strip is going to be a pain in the a$$......

Now 9+ years later it's still there... and I miss it in my Crown Vic's........ I have a chip in the window on the truck and have decided when I have to replace it..... the tint strip is getting put back, and my add one to the 07 CVPI in my sig........ since I have the same shelves in there too.......

You can see the strip across the windshield

The only vehicle I've ever been able to use a visor in was a full size E-Series Van........

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
She's always using the flip down visors when I drive. I've had to flip hers up more than once so I could see!

Down across the windshield isn't as bad as across the passenger window, if it's down, especially in the car, if I'm lucky, I might be able to see the road, nothing on it, just the road.....

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tried to glue the new tab on last night. What a debacle. I razor bladed the old glue off the windshield as instructed. I did wipe it down with laquer thinner also. Then I preppep the parts as instructed and glued it to the windshield. After I held it for a minute the button fell right off. So I tried it two more times each with same results. I'm guessing the kit I bought was bad. So I'll grab a new kit today and try that. I've done mirrors in the past and not had this much issue.

I did notice the new mirror button had a bit of a burr around the edge of it that I wondered was acting like a spacer keeping it off the glass. So I sanded that down last night in prep for tonight.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonding to glass is tough because it is smooth. I don't know what kit you are using but it might be worth taking a little sandpaper and roughing the spot the button goes up a bit. I would also recommend you clean it with methanol or even ammonia. I'm not sure lacquer thinner is the best thing on glass. You need something polar to really get any grease of the glass because the glass surface is polar. Thinner may not actually get down to the glass surface as much as it just sits on top of what is there. Even isopropyl alcohol may be better than thinner. If you want really clean glass, it's hard to beat methanol. It will take RainX off of glass. Acetone is also a good go-to for glass.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Not to hijack but it is nice to know I am not the only one to almost rip off the pass visor because she is always putting it down and wondering why we almost get t-boned! I also adjust the rear view arm as high as it goes! too funny. As my daughter says (5" 7" size 10 shoe at 14 years old) "The curse of being your child!" I can blame a 6'4" father although me and my brother have him beat on that one.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Visors, what are those???? You mean the short shelf to hold paperwork?????

When I bought the Excursion, the P.O. had a strip of tint installed across the top of the windshield, and it stopped just above my normal line of site..... on my test drives (yes I drove it more than once) I remember thinking this tint strip is going to be a pain in the a$$.......

Do you think the strip helps with cooling at all? Keeping the sun off you? I'm wondering about tinting my windows to help with cooling. And was debating a strip.

Laser, thanks for the cleaning tips. I bought some new stuff today so lets see if I can clean this well.

I did find these instructions on Amazon. supposedly from Permatek Tech line. Didn't seem like they could hurt.

#1. Scrape old glue from window.

#2. Use rubbing alcohol 70% or 91%. Then clean with some weak Dawn soap and/or just use water to clear the pours of the glass of any residue from the alcohol, then dry with a paper towel. I asked him if a hair dryer could be used to dry up any water inside the glass and he said yes, but then wait for the glass to come to room temp again before using the primer.

#3. Clean the metal button with alcohol first, then use either a wire wheel to scratch up the metal button or get a piece of 400 grit sand paper and place it on a flat surface (to keep the button surface flat and true) then rub the button over the sand paper either back/forth or in a circle to really clean the button and put micro scratches in it, then clean the button with alcohol well, and then again with water and dry it...maybe again with a hair dryer to evaporate all moisture.

#3. Apply the primer to the glass ONLY! The primer is a copper ion activator/catalyst that impregnates into the porous glass and will react with the glue, but ONLY apply it to the glass since it will react negatively with the metal button.

#4. Wait a 2-3 min. for the activator to dry on the glass.

#5. Apply a drop or 2 of the glue to the metal button and press onto windshield and hold it until it sets. Wait 24hrs to mount the mirror.

#6. ****Most importantly***** THESE PRODUCTS HAVE AN EXPIRATION DATE. The exp. date is only on the activator pack. It is a 7 digit number imprinted on the pack and it is the first 2 digits you need to be aware of. The 1st digit is the last digit of the year and the 2nd digit is the month but is represented by A-L, and A= January, and L=December. Example: 1A34567 "1" = 2011 "A"=January Only use if it is 2 yrs old or less

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online