89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andertusa - so your from S.W. Minnesota like where? I'm in Paullina IA about 50 min south of Worthington MN. Don't see many locals on here.

I picked up the tractor tires from Bomgars I think. Could have been amazon, but thought it was local.

Interesting on the primer for the interior. Your the first person to say that. I'll have to think on that for the next go round. The autobody forum I frequent the guys on there always say if your using high quality products the primer colors don't matter, but I'm more along your thought process. I use colored sealers to help shade my colors.

-Jeremy

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andertusa - so your from S.W. Minnesota like where? I'm in Paullina IA about 50 min south of Worthington MN. Don't see many locals on here.

I picked up the tractor tires from Bomgars I think. Could have been amazon, but thought it was local.

Interesting on the primer for the interior. Your the first person to say that. I'll have to think on that for the next go round. The autobody forum I frequent the guys on there always say if your using high quality products the primer colors don't matter, but I'm more along your thought process. I use colored sealers to help shade my colors.

-Jeremy

Like a crappy little town in the middle of nowhere about 30 miles East of Worthington called Jackson. cookoo

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking along my lines. Those that keep extolling the virtues of the 'high quality' stuff never really seem to wrap their minds around the concept of what is doing the color-blocking is the solids in the paint, if the paint doesn't have enough solids, the color beneath will most-likely bleed into the new layer, it's only really a problem when going from the darker colors to the lighter ones, but too few people realize that. I bet you could achieve FANTASTIC results with the 'cheap stuff' and doing the requisite prep including the primer layer. ;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to paint most of the interior plastics. I'm planning to shoot them Thursday night. Hopefully tonight I can finish scuffing them up ready for spraying! This will be the first time spraying with an exhaust fan in the back wall so I hope it keeps the overspray cleared out well.

-Jeremy

You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you posted that... I was looking at exhaust fans the other night. To meet NFPA standards I need something stupid like 14,400 cfm of fan. That seems really excessive. Any idea on the specs for that fan? Looks kinda like an attic type fan. I'll be really interested to see how it does. Second question while I'm here. What thickness OSB is on your ceiling and walls? I'm thinking about sheeting my ceiling over my paint area with 1/4 OSB that has had a couple coats of white paint on it. My thinking is that I may not want to hose it down, but I could probably run a vacuum cleaner on it and it be fairly clean. I think my final booth design will consist of the sheeted ceiling in one corner of the garage with a silver reflective tarp curtain to make up the sides to help isolate and keep the dust to a minimum.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan is like an exhaust fan for green houses. It's 18" and like 2500 CFM. I didn't want crazy amounts of air movement as I don't have great dust control, but wanted to get the spray out of the shed. I've tried a filtered recirculate and it moved too much dirt with the air. Wasn't filtered tight enough. Last night I used compressed air to spray off some of the floor and benches to remove dust and the fan seemed to suck the dust cloud out right away. Worked better than i would have though. My main shop area is 17x46x9 to give an idea of volume.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...id=1435760352&sr=8-1&keywords=18"+exhaust+fan

For makeup air I bought a magnetic screen door for my man door. When I open the man door I get really good air movement through it with the fan on. The screen door will keep the bugs out.

My walls and sides are 7/16" OSB. I wish I would have painted it right away as now it would be a major paint to paint it. At the time the 7/16 OSB was 5-6 bucks a sheet so it was a really inexpensive wall covering. I kind of wish I would have used tin on the ceiling though and OSB/tin on the walls. White tin would be easy to keep clean and help with light.

-Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually considered white tin for the ceiling too. i was a little worried about it sweating but I haven't had a ton of trouble with sweating yet and the rest of the building is metal inside. :dunno

I looked at that exact fan. What are your thoughts on it? I like the fact that it's louverd so you can cut it in and just leave it there. The funny thing is that's not any more air than a 20" lasko box fan moves.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tin installs quick and is pre-colored. I think i missed the boat by not doing tin. I keep thinking about putting tin over what I have though. It would help with drafts and color.

I've been really impressed with it so far. I creates a lot of air movement in the shop. It will open a man door that isn't firmly shut. It is similarly rated to a box fan, but seems to move a lot more air. There is more force behind it.

- Jeremy

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I picked up the tractor tires from Bomgars I think.

-Jeremy

Just caught up on reading this thread, if your in need of tractor/implement tires check out a place called Manely Tire, east of Sioux Falls 10-15 miles.
Think they have some used stuff also, and I think their site is Manelytire.com...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
re: interior pieces,
are you spraying it with plastic prep first?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I've priced Manley for car tires a couple times. I've not bought from them yet. Buddy of mine gets his tires there. Definitely best prices around.

I got most of the interior sprayed tan last night. Went pretty good. I'm hopeful I can get them in without scratching it up. Shouldn't be too big a deal. I do have to finish up some wiring and carpet before I can install the panels. I did get rid of the bordello red interior and am going with tan. It's a tan that's similar to whats in the 2000ish ford trucks. The 97 and older have a darker tan. Not bad, but I wanted lighter.

I also used my new exhaust fan and it worked fabulous. I was never painting in a cloud. Wasn't the same amount of spray as a full car, but it was crystal clear in there the whole time. Well other than the overspray on my painting hood.

-Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I used aerosol bulldog adhesion promotor. Next time I'll probably buy a quart. I burned up my can on these parts. Not sure if it was new though.

Jeremy

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started putting carpet in

Here is the extra wiring I ran from door to door to control the power mirrors I added.

Front carpet all fit in and the shifter and boot installed.