89 CC build thread Frame off resto!! - Bad Idea

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a reveal on that cover about a month ago, it was a chore! But I also cleaned up all my brackets, I had to get in there because the riverside water outlet was leaking, no easy way around that. So I just did the entire damn thing.
The aerosol rtv does work good, although it is costly. I think it's the best way for a Band-aide,

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of leaking Y pipe, I was going to attempt to band aid the situation with some exhaust wrap, just for the time being, while it is in the shop with the tranny. So, that's what I plan on doing today unless someone else has a very strong opinion otherwise.
I've had decent luck patching exhaust systems up with wood stove cement. It's like a thick paste.

This is a beautiful truck! Can't waiting to see interior photo's when it's complete... Keep up the good work. :hail

Oh BTW soon as yours is done I'll be dropping mine off to you. :D

Hopefully I'll get my barn built in the next 2 years so I can have a nice dry/heated place to work on mine at.

My wife said I have to keep it for at least 10 years.
Thanks for the compliments! At the rate I'm going you'd have to keep if for more like 20 years for me to get it done. A place to work on stuff is a big deal. I started working on this in my 2 car unheated garage. It's moved along much faster once i got my shed heated and decent enough shape to work on stuff in it.

I did a reveal on that cover about a month ago, it was a chore! But I also cleaned up all my brackets, I had to get in there because the riverside water outlet was leaking, no easy way around that. So I just did the entire damn thing.
The aerosol rtv does work good, although it is costly. I think it's the best way for a Band-aide,
Yeah I looked at your post when I was researching the front cover.

Well I bit the bullet and pulled the front cover off the engine. I put a bunch of RTV on that lip before putting the cover on. It looks like I got enough on there. Only concern is you have to kind of push the cover back against the engine to get it on the dowels vs being able to just set it down into the RTV. I'll be surprised if it leaks though. I didn't pull the injection pump. I marked the injection pump gear to the housing and just pulled the housing up far enough to get the front cover off.

I also picked up plates for it today. It's not road worthy, but hoping to get it basically street able in the next month.

-Jeremy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only problem with doing it that way, is resealing the IP gear cover.
lots more RTV! hope it works for ya

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it appears I'm back to the land of no oil leaks. Which is where I like to hang out. Got the antifreeze topped off and the oil changed. I knew I was taking a risk on the timing cover. I figured worse case I could tear it apart at a later time and reseal it if needed. I did RTV the heck out of the front seam and sides I could get access to before tightening it up.

I did some further work on the truck. I got the Seatbelts dug out and sorted out. I'm putting in tan seat belts from a 1996 or 97 crewcab ford. Front seat belts bolted right in. Now in the rear the 89 had just lap belts. Now it looks like if I tap a hole that the factory didn't I'll be able to use the rear shoulder belts from the 96/96 creacab also. I had already installed nut plates in the pillar for the upper mounts. All the stuff is there, but it wasn't completed since it was the rear of a crewcab. All of the tinwork back there is the same as a regular cab.

I also swapped out some of the hinge bolts for painted ones I'd had kicking around for ever. Basically I just keep rooting out parts I have stored all over the shop. Oh and I found the little rubber nipples that go in the fuel filler door openings. Been looking for those for a long time now.

And I need to figure out my overhead console. I put in a console from a 95 or so jeep gand cherokee. I have my harness, but when I removed it of course I never marked any of the wiring. I think I have +12v, keyed 12v and ground, but need to verify that. It also ties into the dome light circuit, but those I actually have figured out.

-Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got her sealed up. I got my nut plates for my rear belts. I got to looking and there is actually a body plug in the rocker right where I thought the floor anchor should go. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Anyway, seems like you are getting down to brass tacks if you are putting the console in.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm getting there. I need to get the console wiring figured out to get the headliner in so I can put the back window in. Then It's atleast sealed up so the interior doesn't get dusty. I did buy plates for it and am working on insurance. I'm to the point I cleaned up the heater controls last night so I can get them installed and maybe get some heat out of it.

Good news! I checked and I have reverse lights! This is the first time since 1999 when I did the manual swap. I don't have brake lights though which I think is because the brake light switch isn't installed. :dunno Oh and the old girls getting batteries today. The old batteries finally died. I'm kind of jumping around now, but as I find parts I put them back on. Or as I try to make it loosely driveable I put stuff back together. So it's getting a bit schizophrenic.

And my front cover seems to be sealed up good and tight now.

-Jeremy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you dont have to get the headliner in to install the back window.
the trim pieces above the window is what help lock the headliner in.
interior get rusty? you must have a special kinda climate to rust cloth :D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ but it's said you can't fit it in/out the doors. So front or rear window are the only options.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interior guys say you can sneak a crewcab headliner out the doors. Since my windows out though it seems like the easy way. Watching youtube they pull crown vic headliners out the passenger door all the time.

IDIOIT - Yeah I'm guessing your 6 door will definitely have atlas a 2piece headliner.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my heater controls the other night. After 20-30 minutes of idling It blew warmish air, but definitely not hot. Seemed too cool. Hoping I have air in the heater lines. I also didn't drive it other than backing it out of the shop.

Also my vents don't work. So I'm gonna have to troubleshoot the vacuum system. I'm wondering if my vacuum pump is dead. We will see.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big news guys I installed my radiator overflow! Not really big news, but another step in the process. Trying to track down my heating issue and I wonder if low coolant was the issue. Looks like i need to wipe down the hose a little better. After this I think my wiper washer tank is all that's needed and the engine compartment is done.

Best part is it's more parts not hanging around the shop!

I also included a pic showing the distance between the grill guard and front end. It actually works really well to kneel on the radiator and grill guard when doing work on the engine. Truck needs a bath. Amazing how dusty it's gotten just sitting around.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice truck!
even tho its an aluminum radiator, try not to lean on it. dont want you cracking the top tank!!

i spy a 30-31 A

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment!

You spied correctly. That's the front of my dad's model A we're building. We built the frame completely from scratch using tubing and flat plate cut out on a CNC plasma. It's got a 35-36 ford solid axle in it with model A spring. He's building a ***** based off a 30-31 cowl.

Yeah I'm not overly fond of sitting on the radiator, but it does work well. I'm more concerned about cracking a bracket off. A topside creeper is on my list, but I'm not sure where to put it in the shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.