87 F-350 C6 to ZF-5 Conversion + GV Overdrive Build Thread

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Quick little update...almost ready to pull the cab. Hopefully tomorrow...4-cab bolts and the e-brake cable is all that stands in my way :)
Got the pedal assembly out, going to clean it up and try and sneak it into my truck before the swap...even if it'll look goofy. I'll just tell folks its a "3-on-the -tree".

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liar! Still have the clutch hydro assembly to pull out. :flipa
Just a heads up, guess the free food wrapped up around 2 last year if your wanting a free meal and check out the go fast toys.

Last edited:

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you failed to mention that little detail yesterday...lol

Would have said something about the food sooner, got a little hung up with shop beautification for the big visit today.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
We had lift-off yesterday! Got the cab removed...hoping to have the transmission/clutch out today. I was slightly bummed to find it was a S5-42...but anything is better than the slushbox. Also cleaned up the pedal assembly since it was pretty stiff. Little elbow grease and its butter smooth now.
Pulling the cab was like opening a Christmas gift :) Getting excited to start the swap into my truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need a pedal and bracket assy for a 87-91.
the one in the pic is a 92-97
completely different animals.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
towcat - I pulled the assembly off of the 88' donor truck. I also have a 92-97 pedal assembly and its different than this one. IIRC the clutch switch has its own bracket and the master cyl. mount is more open....among other things...just cant recall. I'll get a pic later on. Might help out others looking to gather parts for the conver

***Edit***

Towcat is right...someone rigged the newer pedals in an older truck. Luckily I had an alternate set. Here's the comparison. Mainly in the way it bolts to the dash/steering column. Left-side is older, Right-side is OBS correct?

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was about to post a pic of a 87-91 pedal assy but you beat me to it. just for S & G, can you post a pic of the cab interior of the truck the OBS pedal assy came out of? i'd like to see how they grafted it in.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He mentioned to me that they were held in by the brake booster fasteners alone.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
He mentioned to me that they were held in by the brake booster fasteners alone.

Someone before me had already laid their hands on it...it was only attached to the firewall. Hence my confusion!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you have a strong engine. My truck has a zf with 4.10's and 35 inch tires, and it barely turns over at speed. I don't know how hilly it is in Oregon, but here I barely make it up and down the hills around here empty in overdrive. I guess it would be ok if you never used the overdrive in 5th gear.

I think I would swap the zf in first by itself and try it out. And then add the other overdrive later if you though you needed it. My truck originally had the c6, and I was getting 12mpg. I swapped the zf in place, and with no other mods, I am now getting 15 mpg. So your torque convertor slip you have now might be that 1 mpg difference.

Are you turboe'd? I just did two trips to Utah in as many weekends and hauled ass up every grade in fifth gear, 75 mph.
On the steepest grade, the pyro hit 1,000, so I pulled down to fourth and slowed down for the last couple of minutes before hitting the top of the hill.
Funny, I'm contemplating a C6 swap in place of my ZF but I'm trying to hold off until I can get a Gearvendors unit. I think also my clutch is on its way out, so whatever I do down the road swap wise, I've still got to pay for a new clutch now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828