87 F-350 C6 to ZF-5 Conversion + GV Overdrive Build Thread

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I just did a e4od to zf5 swap on my 91 crew cab 4wd

Do the reinforcement plate now!!! Its not that bad. Im a big guy and i had no issues working under the dash. Convert to u-joint steering shaft. Clutch MC heim joint mod. Do the GV now so you dont pay twice for drivelines. T-case fluid pump keyway mod. I have a trans pan if you need one.

Cant help on tcase linkage. My truck has newer side shift

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I"m sure for a slight price for shipping two/or one day shipping would be available, contact Jason and see what he has and can do.

Plate with everything out takes bout an hour to do...if that...but the job is so much more complex than an hour..LOL

Ya do it once, we hear ya but do you hear us? We speak from experience here..about how long it takes and doing it right and doing it once...is just that much better.

Like me with my damn engine swap...saw bad core plugs stopped it right there...got the plugs but now have a golf cart engine swap to do...DOH...landlords requested I get it done, even though he said do your truck first, now it's do my stuff..

It pays to do his stuff, my stuff costs...so I do his to pay for mine..but I do mine RIGHT the first time!

JM2CW

Al

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Al,
You're 100% right about doing things right and doing them once. However, in this particular realm for me its more about budget too. I don't have the cash set aside for the plate.
The way I look at it is I still need to find a true manual transmission column to swap in, I can do that as well as the plate at the same time...probably a month or two from now. I'm sure my firewall will survive until then...
Dont get me wrong, I thank you for your advice, I have a lot of respect for the guys who've been in this spot before and getting their input. Just going have to do it the hard way this time.

Last edited:

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I totally understand what you mean. honestly its only a few bolts per item. It wont take you all that much time and yes your firewall will be fine. Column has 7? Around shroud. 1 for u joint. 2 for support. 2 wire plugs. Done. Pedals are 4 for brake 3 support (2 10mm 1 7/16...***!?) Clutch master and switches.

Cluster and trim is so easy on bricknose trucks. Just ziptie the column shift in Park if you remove shifter

Fyi I fit my IR air drill with full length bit to do the 5 holes for support bracket without issue.

Cowl was also easy too. Not so much by yourself

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
A few progress pics, work has been busy as well as family stuff. Hoping to get most of it done this weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.. Thats some Ford truck **** pics right there...:eek:LOL Things all undressed like that turns me on..:thumbsup: In all reality what your doing is a great thing. Doing it right the first time saves doing it right the next time. Money talks when we try to do the right things. If it didn't talk daddy would have bought us a nice shiny neww truck and fixed it for us when we broke it...:rolleyes:

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Looks overwhelming to the untrained eye. But the vets around here know what a wonderful experience it is to swap the pedals in a 87-91 Bricknose. My wife saw what I did and she just shook her head and walked away :)
Trying to do it as right as I can, take patience but is so worth not having the headache later. Sometimes I think locating good parts is the hardest part.

Oh and I didn't forget about you Al...here's some pics of the loped off ear on the ZF.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Looks like a Van Gouh trans...:sly:rotflmao:angel:
Its got "character" :D

Officially hit the halfway point tonight, C6 and all the fixins are on the shop floor. Working a half day tomorrow then going to spend a few hours on putting it back together. Side Note: The dipstick tube was a PITA...tight fit between the Banks up-pipe and manifolds.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its got "character" :D

Officially hit the halfway point tonight, C6 and all the fixins are on the shop floor. Working a half day tomorrow then going to spend a few hours on putting it back together. Side Note: The dipstick tube was a PITA...tight fit between the Banks up-pipe and manifolds.

That is going to be good info to know when I put that 4x C6 trans into my truck ;Sweet ;Sweet .. wink wink.. :sly :sly I hear a 10.25 Sterling calling your name in the background.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks overwhelming to the untrained eye. But the vets around here know what a wonderful experience it is to swap the pedals in a 87-91 Bricknose.

My wife saw what I did and she just shook her head and walked away :)
Trying to do it as right as I can, take patience but is so worth not having the headache later. Sometimes I think locating good parts is the hardest part.

Oh and I didn't forget about you Al...here's some pics of the loped off ear on the ZF.

Some fun huh bambi....swapping pedals n all...NOW you know WHY I sooooo encouraged you to do the plate now *****.

That is exactly what my wife does sometimes too...just sometimes I get a coffee brought too.

Thanks for that picture, I'll take a gander at what I have and make a choice to cut or not to cut...LOL

Al

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Got the clutch, transmission, t-case aand GV bolted up with some help from forum member Leeland. He also hooked me up with some mystery t-case linkage that let's me keep it in the original location. No transmission cross member modification was needed, also used some other donor linkage pieces to get the t-case working. Going to have to shorten the rear driveshaft about 1/2" or so, but the front one fits. Hopefully have it driveable in a couple days as I'm allowed to work on it.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was going to comment on the FB post. Just didn't want the blame for this project though LOL

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noooooo the comment your wife made about the truck being ripped apart. Didn't want that blame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance