87 F-350 C6 to ZF-5 Conversion + GV Overdrive Build Thread

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Damn I got double screwed today. Went to swap in what I thought was the correct pedal assembly after my discovery on Saturday from towcat's comment. Things didn't go so well. Once I had the dash torn apart and steering column pulled I set the Auto-Pedal assembly next to what I thought were 87-91 Manual-Pedals.
No such luck, the spacing for the bracket that bolts to the column as well as where the pedals bolt to the dash is different....I barreled ahead anyway thinking I could "make them work". No such luck...besides the mounting hole spacing difference, I was unable to connect the ignition switch once I re-installed the column.-cuss

So out everything came and went back in with the stock stuff. After 3-4 hours I was right back where I started. I'm thinking I actually have a set of 83-86 Bullnose pedals and a set of OBS pedals. Anyone have a picture of the 87-91 pedals I can use as a comparison? Meanwhile I'm off to find another parts truck :backoff

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Yup...sure nuff'...looks like I have everything but what I need. Thanks for the help guys.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
normally, i wouldn't have a problem sending you an extra pedal assy, but I am running low on the 87-91's and this one has been modded for hydro. unfortunately...a double "no" as a result.
dgr-
i presume you're talking about this mug?
you know you're spending way too much with the tool truck when you get the mugs for "free"

Attachments

• P1010747.JPG
    P1010747.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P1010748.JPG
    P1010748.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 15

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Time for an update:
Finally think I have all my parts gathered for the ZF swap. Found a set of the correct 87-91 pedals along with the clutch master cyl bracket as well. Picked up a good used LuK SMF flywheel from a fellow member, bought a new LuK clutch and new flywheel and clutch bolts.
The only part that's up in the air right now is transfer case linkage. I asked about it in another thread, would like to send it up through the transmission cover plate and avoid cutting a hole in the floor for a side mount shifter. I've got both styles of linkage and a spare 1356 t-case...should be able to come up with something with my redneck creativity.
So the plan is Monday to steam clean the old girl, then roll her into the shop and start with the fun. My goal is to drive it out by Sunday...hopefully sooner. Going to try and remember to take pictures during the process :D

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a burned up 89 as a donor for my 84.
I just used the floor pan and TC shifter from the donor; chopped the extra hole in the floor. Gives you a little extra room to throw your junk on the trans tunnel behind the trans shifter.

I had to get creative with the linkage for the TC shifter, but that was due to me using the 1345 TC instead of a 1356 like you are.

Before you get that pedal assembly in, it's a great time to do the heim joint mod on the clutch pedal linkage.

1 other little modification I made; while I had the TC shifter out, I ground the detent off of the side of the bottom of the shifter that makes it so you have to jam the TC shifter to the side to change into 4L. Now you just pull the shifter straight back and forth without having to fight it. Reverse is pretty steep gearing on the ZF, so I always use 4L for backing trailers.

And 1 more suggestion while the trans is out - not sure if it's the same with your banks downpipe - but my ATS downpipe required that I trimmed a sizable rectangular chunk off of the pass side bellhousing of the ZF5. Doable under the truck, but much easier when the trans is out.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Mike,
Thanks for the tips and reminders. I remember the Banks installation instructions mentioning cutting the ear off the transmission bell housing. Went ahead and got that lopped off a little bit ago. One less headache after the trans is stabbed and bolted in.
Your mention of the heim mod for the clutch is the first I've heard...you have a link on it? I'll see if I can find some details using the power of Google. Along with linkage I like the idea of removing the 4-lo notch so it'll just slide on back in...as for cutting my floor its going to be the last resort and probably the last thing on my list. Sure wish it was going to be easier pulling back the carpet but moving my power buckets and okie center console are looking to be fun.

Getting excited its finally coming together...have to remember to take a video before I pull the C6 so I have some proof it operates for any prospective buyers.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Got things started today finally...only had a couple hours after work to start in on it. The exhaust kicked my butt, the slip fit pipe to the Banks DP was a ******...ended up doing some creative cuts to finally get it apart. Speaking of downpipes, that 3" pipe is a tight fit, not sure how a guy could sneak anything bigger without some firewall work. Driveshafts are out, wiring, linkages, trans cooler lines. Hoping to get most of it on the floor tomorrow... Fingers crossed.

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while doing all this now good time to do clutch mc firewall reinforcement plate...look in tech section for the articles..

tcase shifter brain fart...

use shift mechanism that works for hole in floor...but bed a longer arm that goes up and over and then comes up through tunnel cover????? I can visualize it but what a ****** for throw and a boot.

glad its all coming together..

now what EAR has to be cut off the bellhousimg for dp clearance cause NOW while mine is out is time...pics please someone?

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
The reinforcement plate will have to wait for now... In the future plans but for now the focus is getting the truck rolling asap. Driving a loaner from my father in law, but hate using other people's rigs. Sure wish I had a commuter so I could spend a month or so getting everything just right in one shot. Heck I just wish it fit in my garage!

I chopped off the ear on the right/passenger side. Ground it down to clean it up. I can take a picture at work tomorrow if you'd like?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reinforcement plate will have to wait for now... In the future plans but for now the focus is getting the truck rolling asap. Driving a loaner from my father in law, but hate using other people's rigs. Sure wish I had a commuter so I could spend a month or so getting everything just right in one shot. Heck I just wish it fit in my garage!

I chopped off the ear on the right/passenger side. Ground it down to clean it up. I can take a picture at work tomorrow if you'd like?
Bottom line, it's doubtful that you'll add that plate later as its a bit if a PTIA to install you must remove steering column, pedal assembly, cowel cover at base of windsheild and so forth then install the plate, and then put it all back together ..again???? freebird01 is the username and Jason is his name for the part.

Ya I think??..Ya I asked for a picture of the ear LOL

Good luck either way

Al

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Ah its not too bad...I've had these pedals and column out enough tines already that I know what tools to grab before I start. I agree its a PITA to do over again and would like to do it all at once, but bottom line is I don't have the ability to have my truck down for the extra time to get the part here and install it. That would add at least a week or more onto the job. I'd rather get the part and install it in an afternoon on the weekend...works better in my situation.
Understand and appreciate the suggestion, it's on the "list".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online