87 Crew Cab w/ 6 doors

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 psi lost? Well in all theory cooler air is denser and takes up less space, so you can push a similar volume at lower temp, lower pressure.

Might need to tinker with the wastegate a tad to bring it back up and see the gains possible with a good intercooler.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Something doesn't seem right to me? Seems as though after going to the work you did to intercool I'd wanna see a bit more of an improvement than all that.....

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel efficiency should go up a tad, but without upping fuel/air (yet) it won't add a bunch of ponies

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think when i start towing with it is when i will notice the biggest improvement.
i cant mess with the fuel,
im about tapped with this IP. but i can add a bunch more air!
waiting on other people is killin me! oah well cant rush perfection, right?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah OK but what's up with the unchanged EGT's? Shouldn't you see a significant drop there? Cooler air in = cooler air out right? I do realize you are running the King Tut of IP's though...the Bull Moose.

Would be interesting to see what Mel has to say on this one........

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt say that the EGT's are unchanged.
i do believe they have went down a bit.
i have to admit i didnt keep exact notes on it before, but i did notice that i would shoot to the 1100 ish range while in town driving.(with a lead foot)
without the IC, i doubr i will see that again, 80 mph is movin in this truck.
and with the grade i was on, i would have to ease up off the throttle to keep her from a melt down. pre IC
now i can keep her at a steady pace.
may be doing some form of water injection in the future for towing up steep hills.
but the reality is, i dont tow much with this rig. i use the SD for towing heavy loads.
i just didnt notice any power increase. but im judging this compared to the bull moose and injectors installed pre IC.
with losing 3 psi, one would notice a drop in performance, theroetically. but with the cooler air, i did not.
im in no way dissapointed, except now my engine compartment looks like the terminator..lol is that a bad thing?

however, on my initial test run, i started it up, let her warm up, got to the end of my street and noticed that EGT's were at 700, and no power!!! ***!!!
i pulled over and noticed my waste hate had been disconnected LOL
must have been when i was messing with it to get the turbo hat off. i need to get a clip for that damn thing.
oops.... got it back on and was right as rain again

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waste hate?? LOL LOL

Yeah I've been there. I actually made my own clip out of a small hair-pin like is used to put through the end of a hitch pin etc. flattened it a bit with a hammer so it would fit in the groove on the wastegate. Holding so far.

Speaking of which, you should hook up the wastegate so it references off your turbo hat where it goes into the engine. That way your wastegate would open and the same boost level it did before IC.

JM2CW

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^this. mine is still off turbo, but my boost sensor is on my intake hat as well. Dont really care about the pressure drop thru the piping and IC, i want to know what the engine is being fed

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmm is there a tech article on this....
im a stupid SOB, i need pictures LOL

dude, you know that clip is like 69 cents at the hardware store right???
look at the pot calling the kettle black :rotflmao

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so,
i have driven this truck all over.
towed with it.
been slightly off road with it.
moved a chevy with it that parked in my driveway
(he wasnt very happy)
beat the hell out of it,
broke it several times and fixed it.

and finally ive used it for its intended purpose!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
Good job. Finally being able to use the 6-door truck for it's intended purpose. ;Sweet Now those two little guys have had a ride in a true truck!!:D

Now, get that guy out of the sun. You don't want him to get sunburned, do you? It doesn't take very much sun on a guy that size. You would soon find out that there is nothing more miserable than a baby with a sunburn.:puke: And if he is hurting and miserable, you will be too. :eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Dad needs more smiles for the miles ahead...:D;Sweet
When our daughter came home from being born premature at 2 lbs 12 ozs. After 8 weeks she weighed 4 lbs 8 1/3rd oz.. She needed to weigh 4 lb 8 oz to leave the hospital. So try to find an infant car seat small enough for her proved fruitless. Thats why we choose to rent a stretch limo. Big... Black and lots of protective metal around her. Can't wait to see camping pics of this new great family. Brian you and your wife are so lucky.

Last edited: