87 6.9 alt wiring question/clarification

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i finally got a wiring harness to replace the one that was burnt when ibought my truck. well i dont know how to wire up the alternator to the harness.. do i take a wire and go from the alt output (the bigger wire black/ orange it should be) to the solenoid? the harness that came with the harness is a little different, it is on the same harness strand as the plug that plugs into the temp sender. could the new harness be non ac and that be the difference? where would i wire the wires from the voltage regulator into?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
im gunna step in here and suggest u upgrade to a 3G. the stock alt is a steaming pile of dog dirt. yes, it will cost a little but it is well worth the price.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we have a tech article on how to do it. If you decide not to though, there are electrical schematics in the Moose Truck and Moosestang album links.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the way the wiring diagrams are showing makes it look so easy and simple to hook up.

as far as the 3g upgrade i see alot of 150-160 amp mustang alts, would these work?

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i figured out the harness/difference. mine is an ext regulator with ac the harness is made for no ac with internal reg. i know how to fix it, and all i need is more thicker gauge wiring. i still may do the 3g upgrade downt he road.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would also like to thank frdtrckmnrich for the harness. he is a great guy to buy from.

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
Dunno about a mustang alt. I got mine out of a sable ( if I remember right). Mine was long enough from bolt eye to bolt eye that I was even able to use my stock belts.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
u need a 3G that is from a ford taurus/mercury sable with a 3.8L v-6. the mounting lenght from eye to eye is like 9" (i could be wrong), there are two lenghts that are 6/12 o clock mounting. u will need to re-use the pulley off ur old alt to keep the v-belt as well.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the Mustang - there are two sizes of 3G cases, 8" and 9" or something like that, 302 Mustangs use the small case, and the big one goes on the 351s I believe.