'86 Extended cab project thread

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a Mishimoto intercooler on Amazon Warehouse for $130, that should get here Wednesday. Will see what needs to happen in order to fit it on my Bullnose. Should be easier than some since it isn't a 7.3 or 6.0 sized one. May go liquid air instead.

You must be registered for see images attach

Scored a fuel tank/toolbox on Offerup for $80. Needs to be painted, in excellent condition otherwise. 45 gallons and a toolbox, can't beat that. Came with the keys as well.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled off the old cast iron master cylinder and added the F-Superduty master since the rear is now setup for disc brakes.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other major concern areas are wiring, CDR/CCV setup, oil bypass filter, and redoing my fuel system. I will be running WMO so I'd like to have a somewhat robust fuel filtering setup even though I will be centrifuging.

Fuel path should be something like: tanks -> manual selector valve -> 40 micron cleanable filter -> Holley Blue or Carter P4070 (I have both) -> 10 micron water seperator -> Trasko toilet paper filter (like an old school Frantz oil bypass filter, submicron filtration) -> 2 micron CAT filter -> fuel regulator -> IP -> manual return valve -> tank

Wiring is simple enough, just need to, uh, redo the entire thing. First vehicle I've ever really done a restoration/mods on so it has been a learning process. This last attempt should be the final pass, been pretty thorough about getting it all on paper, almost ready to start physically wiring once the engine is actually fired up.

CDR/CCV setup will utilize a Mann Provent 200 with a drain back to the oil pan like big trucks use. I will have a Frantz/Motorguard/some sort of oil bypass filter so I'd like for it to just be a closed system and drain back to the pan.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the truck is running and a lot of the issues are worked out, I will then proceed to take it out of commission again in order to install a Dana 60 front axle, a 4x4 ZF5, a Gearvendors, and the BW 1345 transfer case. That will entail a whole host of problems that I cannot even hope to plan for yet.

I do know I need to figure out a new crossmember or some sort of support for all of the weight hanging off the back of the ZF5 as they are prone to breakage.

This was one idea that I found online.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Holley Blue or Carter P4070 (I have both)
I'd go with the Holley. I've seen some people say that the Carters are slipping in quality. I have one on my Blue Truck as a transfer pump. I'll have one on my Ex Wife also as a transfer pump. For the main pump on the Ex Wife, I already have a Holley black.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what shade of blue did you use on your high pressure fuel lines, from the IP to the injectors?

Cool build by the way. Looking forward to seeing how it goes

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KansasIDI

I'll get the can color tomorrow for ya. I'm considering putting unpainted lines because I've had flakes of paint land in the injector opening while installing. That or sanding the nut and first inch or two of the line so it isn't an issue. Could use it as an excuse to buy a powder coating setup.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, paint color is "Ford Blue", imagine that. Duplicolor, I got it at Advance Auto I believe.

DE 1601 Ford Blue specifically

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, paint color is "Ford Blue", imagine that. Duplicolor, I got it at Advance Auto I believe.

DE 1601 Ford Blue specifically
Okay, I got duplicolor Torque ‘N Teal, which is supposed to be kinda like the blue found on the old DT466s in OTR applications, there was a darker blue and a lighter one, I prefer the lighter blue.

Everything except my high pressure fuel system will be this blue, the IP and injectors are dark gray, and wish to paint my IP lines the same dark gray.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the intercooler, it's pretty big. Will need to figure out how to fit that sucker in there. Doesn't seem as large as the 6.0 or 7.3 intercoolers though. May just get a liquid/air intercooler and stick it on the driver side and refit the coolant overflow and figure something out for the wiper fluid bottle. Piping would be cleaner then. If it wasn't a bullnose truck it likely wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Working on installing the Comp 910 springs. My exhaust installed height is measuring at 1.90 and 1.905 on cylinder 1 and 4. I need to order more shims, since I only ordered .030 instead of the assorted kit. Overall I need .100-.105 worth of shims which I can make using the Comp Cams 4755 kit since it comes with .015, .030, and .060 shims.

This valve compressor tool is worth every penny at $10

I am trying to figure out what valve stem seals to put on, the intakes seem fine but the exhaust ones will bind up on the new springs. I'd like to put positive-ring seals on, however I've read that can cause oil starvation on cast iron guides, which I seem to have. I have a thread started about that question separately.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Would be interested in seeing you try to do a water/air cooler. I've already deleted my overflow from a past turbo attempt, plumbing coolant to an intercooler wouldn't be that hard for myself...

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I got duplicolor Torque ‘N Teal, which is supposed to be kinda like the blue found on the old DT466s in OTR applications, there was a darker blue and a lighter one, I prefer the lighter blue.

Everything except my high pressure fuel system will be this blue, the IP and injectors are dark gray, and wish to paint my IP lines the same dark gray.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Staff online

Members online