'86 Extended cab project thread

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have dt360 motors laying around for paint color reference? If so, that's pretty cool on its own. I think I need some more trucks and truck parts laying around here too. Wife doesn't see it that way.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on setting the intake up for a 3" vband so I can install an intercooler.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I don't think the intake is supposed to look like that

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welded a plate onto my intake today. First aluminum weld ever besides my practice lines on scrap. Turned out less fugly than I thought. Still need to grind it and drill out the center for a 3" hole. Was going to go V-band, I think I'll just do a 3" piece of tubing instead. It's not like this has massive boost to worry about. Once this intake is done I can finally put the motor back together all the way. Had to use a #8 cup, turn up the gas, and extend the electrode out a fair bit to get the inside corners by the turbo mounts. Maybe should have done something else but I'm happy with it.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the tube welded on, leaving it long until I know how short to cut it. Will end up making a bead roller out of a crimper to put a bead on it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

94 moneypit

Reaction score
Any updates? Specifically on that torque cam… I just put one in my truck a few weeks ago and I want to drive it so bad! But gotta have brakes before I go smoking out stoplights

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't done much since the intake, life and holidays taking precedent over the truck. Also working on the F150 RV so I can sell it and use the funds for more truck stuff.

I did pick up some 5/16 aluminum sheet to make my own airdog style fuel setup as well as a few Frantz bypass filters to setup in series for oil. Also have an Eaton Truetrac for the rear coming.

*Also got a Frozenboost liquid to air intercooler and a new grille insert to fit the intercooler radiator. Pictures below, truck isn't mine but one that the grille has been installed on, I forget where I found the picture.

Last edited:

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First truck progress in a while. Shamelessly stole the setup for a Windstar electric fan from @iverger as written about in this thread.

Been studying for the PMP exam, trying to use some of the contents of that learning and put it to use for this truck project. Went ahead and made a long list of everything I need to do and assigned a difficulty based on an 11 point scale, though will revise this for a 21 point for better clarity. Essentially did planning poker like you would in Agile/Scrum. Decided to get the fan setup first since it is a PITA to install with all the accessories attached.

Will work on resealing the engine once more, then redoing fuel lines and rear wiring since I don't like how I originally did them. Next steps after that are the entire rest of the truck.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welded a plate onto my intake today. First aluminum weld ever besides my practice lines on scrap.

What did you use to weld to cast aluminum?

Tried welding cast aluminum with ER5356 on my mig and it didn’t work out so great. Though the intake isn’t seeing much stress so it might be fine

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Lumberjackchuck I bought an AC/DC Tig welder, found a smoking deal on one. Figured I could spend $400+ on the intake or $500 on a welder and just do it myself. I believe the rod said 6013, the plate was definitely 6013. I'll look at the label, I got a ton of different rods with the welding setup

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished out the bottom of the intercooler mount with this fine piece of engineering. Once I got it all bolted in it felt pretty solid. Working on mounting the various accessories so I can determine intercooler placement.

Determined my harmonic balancer was bad while resembling everything. Found one in the spares bin and ordered a sleeve for it. The engine is at TDC, but the balancer is not at 0, and the pulley sits at a weird angle. Likely the cause of all my timing issues I was dealing with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online