Windstar electric fan conversion

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My clutch fan was going bad so I did a little digging and decided to try an electric fan conversion. A big thanks goes to FordF250HDXLT on the "other" board for some great research info.

I used a 2003 Windstar dual fan setup and fit it inside the existing shroud. Trimmed a little plastic from both the old and new shrouds, riveted them together and used a little aluminum sheeting to close it in. I also used a Derale 16749 controller and added 1 additional 30 amp relay for the second fan. The controller gives me adjustable temp ranges up to 240 degrees and an A/C override. Total cost was somewhere around $100 for the fans, controller, wiring and all.

The verdict is still out on performance, it will likely be a while before I pull anything heavy.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wired and painted

I used the shroud as a terminal block for easy in/out in the future. The 4 posts from left to right are -12v, Key on, A/C and +12v. You don't see it here, but I also added a small switch to the A/C circuit just above the connectors to disable the fans in the colder months when the defrost is running and I don't need the cooling.

Close up of the controller (a little to close). I think I'm going to have to relocate this though because it's way to hot for longevity.

I realize I don't have any pics of the installed product. I'll have to add those.

Bob

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob, looks just great, nice job routing wires and such, I'm impressed.

Cant wait to do same to my rig. I just have slightly different fans but all good, will be nice mod and I look forward to more pics of your installed product and reports on how well it works

Thanks for such a great photo log of your install..this is tech section worth IMHO....

Bob87

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you notice a perceived increase in engine performance since the mechanical fan is gone? Also, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to install a switch under the dash so you could turn one of them off if you didn't need it.

Looks good tho. I love upgrades that use existing parts and don't cost a fortune!!

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Makes me want to do the same. Be sure to post if you feel any improvements in MPG/Power, Seems to be a pretty debateable topic that needs some rock solid evidence to bring the verdict in!

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'll be able to contribute anything of significance in the power or MPG departments. I've only owned the truck for 3500 miles and the clutch fan was locked up from the day I bought it. Therefore, I can't compare a good clutch fan to an electric conversion.

1) Do I feel a power increase over a locked up (broken) fan? Unquestionably! But the issue with that is that the truck sounds completely different now (diesel not jet) and I don't think I'm shifting the same. I think I was lugging it a little to much before. That could account for some of the seat of the pants power feeling.

2) Will I see get better mileage? most likely. But I've only checked my mileage once it the little bit I've owned it (17.8 mpg) and that was over just one fill up cycle and it was 100+ degrees most of that month. I expect to get better mileage now simply because of air density changes.

The only observations to report so far is that the truck gets to temp (195) much quicker now on a 55* morning that it did with the broken fan and 75* mornings. I like that, but probably no different than a working clutch fan.

For me, another reason to try this conversion over a new clutch fan, besides cost, was that many seem to be struggling with their aftermarket clutch fans. They aren't lasting long.

@ riotwarrior, Thanks, but I think I'd have to add more detail for a tech article. For example, the controller uses a ground activated circuit which made wiring in the second relay most confusing for me. I may edit the post and do that in time, as I fine tune the setup.

@Bob87, the switch is a good idea, but after a few days I think a light letting me know when they are running would be the most helpful. I can only hear them kick in when I'm sitting still. Makes it hard to fine tune the controller. The switch would be handy for the summer when I probably only need one fan for the A/C.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe this has been done using the same fans by Mel.. I really don't recall exactly what was in his setup. Towiang a heavy load in 100 degree heat is going to answer lots of questions too. I also like the idea of being able to use off the shelf parts instead of buying some ready made replacement like the psd trucks can... Hope to learn more as time goes by..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online