'86 Extended cab project thread

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember Justin talking a lot about the dampeners being two-pieces and NOT keyed...how dumb is that. I guess it doesn't move around on most engines, but can definitely be a problem for some!

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the other harmonic balancer on after resleeving it, timing marks on both were the same so I am pondering how I will check if gears are lined up short of tearing everything apart. In any case, balancer didn't look good so swapped it.

Started work on intercooler mount, going to use the two studs in front, I think the van fuel filter uses them as well as the factory turbo box.

Still learning to weld aluminum, got the job done, will grind away and make it pretty later.

You must be registered for see images attach

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@The_Josh_Bear Ordered a 3" elbow with 6 inch legs for the intake manifold side. Went to Autozone and opened a bunch of boxes for intake hoses, looks like the hose for a Chevy Sonic may fit for the turbo side. Ordered a bendy silicone coolant hose that is 2.5" diameter from a Peterbilt that may also work, alongside about 5 different adapter variations. Something in all of that should work for the runs.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I redid the coolant filter as my first attempt mentioned previously in the thread was pretty awful in retrospect. New setup allows me to close two valves so I can change the filter, it also lets me turn off the coolant to my heater core in summer while still flowing through the filter. Finally installed my R&D 80cc pump and stripped all of the blue paint off of my injector lines. Will never paint injector lines again, maybe powder coat. Paint chips kept flaking off when I tried to install them, sometimes dropping into the injector cups, it was a nightmare. Installed an idler pulley for the 3g alternator to prevent belt slap. Used a bushing, a washer, and a much longer bolt to get it mounted. Idler pulley was from a serpentine IDI bracket. Also mocked up the air filter setup, needs a bit of tweaking but once that is done then I can fab up a mount for my Provent 200 CCV.

Also messed around with the supercapacitor bank trying to figure out exactly how it is wired, but it is too covered in epoxy to figure out. It measured at 11.5v and it has been sitting disconnected from the truck for at least 6 months. Hooked up a glow plug and a DC clamp meter, it drew about 30a at start and dropped down to 15a over 20 seconds or so. Measured 8.5v afterwards. This data doesn't help me at all but is interested nonetheless. I did find that Amazon has some B-grade supercaps available now, they were not available anywhere at all except for the eBay one I found when I was searching in 2021. Link below for anyone interested.

Didn't take any pics, will update in a day or two.

Last edited:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That amazon listing has this for one of the features of the capacitor:
  • With a 15-year design life, you will never change your ultracapacitor again.
:rotflmao That sounds like a threat. Apparently my design life is shorter than this ultra cap!

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the coolant filter pictures

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the air filter mockup. Need to change the angle slightly, my main wiring boxes will be going underneath that area.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel system in and the silicone boot put in to check fit for intercooler

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the build and the progress and your thinking. Nice aluminum welds, by the way! Dang for a first time try, they are great!

What kind of air filter is that? I collapsed a Spectra with my setup, FYI. I don't want to see anyone get into real trouble from a bad/cheap filter. I happened to catch it before it sucked itself a hole or worse and let go into the turbo. Yours looks bigger but thought I'd say something.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent a lot of time trying to figure out this intake hose business. Have more adapters on order, may have to redo the intercooler mounts in order to accommodate the connection from the turbo to the intercooler.

Started work on the oil bypass system. Using an old school Motorguard unit and a Frantz unit in series. Out of the Motorguard into the Frantz. Had to give the AC bracket a haircut in order to get a fitting into the head for the return line.

Oil feed is from near the oil cooler, oil return is the driver side head fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_184954.jpg
    IMG_20240304_184954.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 4

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figuring out arrangement for the fuel setup, coolant/windshield bottle, and oil bypass, looks like it will all fit.

Moving the CAT fuel filter setup to below the truck. I'll have a 40 micron prefilter to the Holley pump, then out to a 10 micron water separater, then through the CAT filter. Final filter is a second Motorguard unit and then it flows through the fuel heater to the IP. Coolant for the fuel heater is being pulled from the idiot light port and then goes to the water pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online