7.3 idi radiator leaking, sourcing a replacement

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my thermostat could be stuck open. Idling for 20 minutes brought my temp up to operating while I was trying to make sure I didn't have air in the system. Tried elevating the front of the truck, and the top hose still only got warm.

I put a motorcraft thermostat in. I think I'll test the replacement first.

No more leaking though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my radiator in my 1994 E350 IDI N/A van ( that I had just bought off of Craigslist ) recored at a local radiator shop last November. I also have A/C. However, they did a *LOT* of things, including remove and replace entire HVAC system, blower, water pump, and every hose and belt while they were at it, and then some. It was all pretty much eroded/fried when I took possession of this old beast. Both the radiator and heater were leaking... apparently corroded from the inside out.

The total bill was just shy of $3K.

Tom's Radiator in Orange http://www.tomsradiatororange.com

Looks like he did a super job. He kept the end housings but replaced the core which was soldered in place. He'll probably remember my big white van; as I had it in his shop for several weeks. If you have a problem with getting the core, Randy might give you a lead.

I have heard stories about the aluminum stuff being not compatible with our supplemental coolant additives, as apparently the SCA/DCA nitrites and the like we use makes the coolant electrically conductive. I am now running the red Chevron Delo ELC, which supposedly has a 750,000 mile supply of SCA preloaded in it.

Just hope this thing runs another 25 years. Its got 250K miles on it now. I have no idea how many more I will get out of it if I take care of it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an IDI in my shop for a recore. A good 4R with 14 fins per inch core costs me $575. Throw in some profit and labor +tax and its $900 out the door.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tom's Radiator has a very deep following. An acquaintance of mine named Randy Ema has a Duesenberg restoration shop just a few hundred feet from there. He was here at my work shop looking at my 1937 Cord and recommended Tom's to me. I gave them my gas tank that had about 1/4 inch of dried gas and mud from nearly 80 years. It was lots of work soaking and rinsing to clean it out.too many inner baffles to count. but its clean and ready for Cadmium plating next month. I used to use a radiator shop in Rosemead Ca. It was called Harry & Sons.. After Bob died they closed a couple of years later. My father and I used them back in the mid 1960's till they closed.They even were on American Archeology a few times. I even saw them on the program Shipping Wars when an old school bus was sold and shipped to Washington state... Miss that shop...

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: are the Rodney Red radiators no longer available? They were spendy, but at least they were super high quality.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to a radiator shop and have it Re-cored. I spent 600 on my stock radiator and it works great. Shops can't give life time warranty's but one year or 12,000 miles, is a good standard warranty.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the radiator appears to be leaking! Coolant pools up inside the lip of the bottom tank and drips from the passenger side of the core support. Once I park, there was a tiny amount of steam. I was hoping it was being blown from the water pump, but now I'm guessing they're both contributing.

Doesn't leak so bad while hot, but cooling down does it no favors.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a napa water pump today. Following in the footsteps of towcat with a Murray radiator.