7.3 idi radiator leaking, sourcing a replacement

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Once this cold snap broke and we got temps above freezing, I noticed my coolant overflow was empty. Checking the hoses didn't turn up any leaks, but I've got coolant on the bottom of the fan shroud and a small puddle under the truck since last night. For the truck back home and it didn't overheat, but I don't trust it for the upcoming trips. There's currently a Spectra with welded aluminum tanks in the truck, but I'm inclined to replace it with a copper / brass unit.

Common auto parts stores ONLY carry the plastic / aluminum units; and I've only found a single vendor within 100 miles who has the copper / brass unit. They're price is around $650 shipped, and it's a Thermal Solutions radiator. My truck used the "tall" radiator for use with air conditioning.

Does anyone have guidance for me? Running out of options and need the truck repaired before this Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can't help finding a replacement radiator but.. you want to know the tube count and especially the fin count per tube. 54 tubes with 15 or 16 fins per inch was factory I recall and they were 4 row radiators. No mater what a seller tells you do not try a 3 row dimple core radiator. Each row has a dimple pressed all along the tube in hopes it slows down the drop of coolant thru the tubes. That way it has more time to give off heat.. Sadly this "works on paper" but not in our trucks. Many have purchased the all welded aluminum Champion radiators but I have no experience with them. So I "ride the fence" on a champion suggestion.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each row has a dimple pressed all along the tube in hopes it slows down the drop of coolant thru the tubes. That way it has more time to give off heat.. Sadly this "works on paper" but not in our trucks.

That doesn't work on paper either. Basic thermodynamics. It's an urban legend that just won't die.

I'm going to need a radiator for my '93 eventually and want a copper/brass that should last another 25 years. But $625 is still a chunk of change...

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a core support and tall radiator pulled from local yard for 225$ to replace my wide one that's leaking. Later on I'll probably go with a champion but right now anythjng Is better than the hole that's getting larger and larger as each day passes, bought almost enough coolant to have paid for my parts already last month lol

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I expected this leak to steam or hiss or something... but that's not my case.

I'm probably going to buy the champion 4 row just because I can't justify the $700 with shipping an OEM unit would cost.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a core support and tall radiator pulled from local yard for 225$ to replace my wide one that's leaking. Later on I'll probably go with a champion but right now anythjng Is better than the hole that's getting larger and larger as each day passes, bought almost enough coolant to have paid for my parts already last month lol
JB weld works wonders...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double check your bottom hose where it connects to the rad and make sure that’s not the cause of the leak. If you want a rad that will last another 25 then get a Rodney red, the newer brass rads are not as good as what came with our trucks and seems people are having issues with the champions now too.

Nick382

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double check your bottom hose where it connects to the rad and make sure that’s not the cause of the leak. If you want a rad that will last another 25 then get a Rodney red, the newer brass rads are not as good as what came with our trucks and seems people are having issues with the champions now too.

Didn't leak with the pressure tester at 14 psi. Tried wiggling the hoses aggressively and didn't have any hissing. Tightened the bottom hose just a bit to be safe, since it seemed that's where the leak was. If my motor mounts are going south, will the engine rock enough to cause those hoses to vent coolant?

The more I read, the more this is sounding like a water pump problem to since it didn't appear until negative temperatures. No play in the pulley or fan though. That's about the only way I can imagine leaking liquid coolant without any type of indication of where.

I'm pressure testing the running engine now.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does nobody re-core radiators any more?

Eli

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local radiator shops may, if you can find one.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck sat for 10 years about, it's not cracked it rotted from inside out basically. Core support it also cracked and welded on in Several spots by previous owner and basically toast, tall skinny will allow for my intercooler to fit better also and fix my harder to find 37 inch radiator
JB weld works wonders...

fjkontur

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Once this cold snap broke and we got temps above freezing, I noticed my coolant overflow was empty. Checking the hoses didn't turn up any leaks, but I've got coolant on the bottom of the fan shroud and a small puddle under the truck since last night. For the truck back home and it didn't overheat, but I don't trust it for the upcoming trips. There's currently a Spectra with welded aluminum tanks in the truck, but I'm inclined to replace it with a copper / brass unit.

Common auto parts stores ONLY carry the plastic / aluminum units; and I've only found a single vendor within 100 miles who has the copper / brass unit. They're price is around $650 shipped, and it's a Thermal Solutions radiator. My truck used the "tall" radiator for use with air conditioning.

Does anyone have guidance for me? Running out of options and need the truck repaired before this Friday.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does nobody re-core radiators any more?

Eli
Yea, my local (very old) radiator shop wanted $600 to recore my OE Rad...with only a one year warranty.
I know many don't want to here this but, I bought a Aluminum/plastic Rad from Advanced Auto...been in there for over three years. So far no complaints and it has a Lifetime warranty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance