7.3 IDI NA boost opinions?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just plain disconnected the wastegate, backed the "torque screw"(if you have one, check and make sure it's backed way off) out and cranked the fuel to max.
On my '92 with Banks turbo, its doing 15-ish PSI of boost and feels awesome; smokes if you floor it too soon. Cleans up easily around 2200 now; making somewhere north of 200RWHP, probably 220.
On my '93 with factory turbo(and 88? N/A motor), I effectively have the same thing, except the pump is even larger than stock - RD2-110. Makes 250RWHP.
I'm still expecting the head gaskets to go sooner or later, mainly because I overheated the truck back in February(belt tensioner broke), but it hasn't yet...
And it's not like I don't pull heavy loads with it... I tend to haul *something* 5k+ every month or so.

Now, everyone gives me **** for this, but I time my trucks by ear these days. Just kind of judge how it runs and adjust from there. I look at how it feels(stronger = better), smoke(gray/blue is retarded). Never had a problem with it, and I've had pretty darn good luck on the dyno compared to others with IDIs(except for R&D's Justin... with a *lot* bigger turbos and pumps)

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also of the school of thought run normal timing, and less fueling but lots of boost. I simply disconnected my wastegate but that also is with a 093 kit. I try not to get on it too hard down low, but sometimes i just cant help myself on a nice dirt road corner. and for that and piece of mind I will be studding mine. That being said It has been turbod and intercooled for about a year now and I back out around 14psi and 15 has been the max i have seen. I did tow a 4 horse horse trailer when I was moving, and it held hills great at 14psi and just flat moved. I also have hit many grades in the 6-8% range and had no problems with anything on the truck. It just does its job and whistles while she works. I do try to roll on the throttle and refrain from stomping, because always in the back of my head is the fact that it isnt boost but cylinder pressures (torque) that lifts heads. I wouldnt be afraid to run the same way I ran my truck in the 12-15 psi range. Just use your head in how you apply the throttle and I think you will be fine.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just plain disconnected the wastegate, backed the "torque screw"(if you have one, check and make sure it's backed way off) out and cranked the fuel to max.
On my '92 with Banks turbo, its doing 15-ish PSI of boost and feels awesome; smokes if you floor it too soon. Cleans up easily around 2200 now; making somewhere north of 200RWHP, probably 220.
On my '93 with factory turbo(and 88? N/A motor), I effectively have the same thing, except the pump is even larger than stock - RD2-110. Makes 250RWHP.
I'm still expecting the head gaskets to go sooner or later, mainly because I overheated the truck back in February(belt tensioner broke), but it hasn't yet...
And it's not like I don't pull heavy loads with it... I tend to haul *something* 5k+ every month or so.

Now, everyone gives me **** for this, but I time my trucks by ear these days. Just kind of judge how it runs and adjust from there. I look at how it feels(stronger = better), smoke(gray/blue is retarded). Never had a problem with it, and I've had pretty darn good luck on the dyno compared to others with IDIs(except for R&D's Justin... with a *lot* bigger turbos and pumps)

That's awesome, I've watched a few of your videos! Didn't you put a Borg Warner S300 or something on your IDI that had a Banks turbo? It hit something crazy, like 20psi!?

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know several people who have gotten 20-23 psi out of a banks sidewinder system. Superheated air, but still a lot of pressure.
for what its worth.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know several people who have gotten 20-23 psi out of a banks sidewinder system. Superheated air, but still a lot of pressure.
for what its worth.

Yeah, but I think Maccrob had his with an intercooler if I recall correctly.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, I've watched a few of your videos! Didn't you put a Borg Warner S300 or something on your IDI that had a Banks turbo? It hit something crazy, like 20psi!?
I ended up hitting at least 25, maby more with the s360... but that engine had issues.

I'd definitely not recommend trying for more than 16 peak on a normal turbo without studs; i've heard of people hitting 20 without blowingna gasket but... ymmv.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Ok. So from what you guys have said, I think im gonna aim for about 13lbs. As I already have the fuel turned up and I can send a decent cloud of **** off out the tailpipe right now...I'll leave that. I recon I'll probably be able to get up to 13lbs by adjusting the wastegate alone.

Im not sure how comfortable I am just capping the wastegate actuator line, but is it the general consensus that if I do so I can't push over 15lbs with a stock pump?

If I can run 15 lbs and stay away from pulling heads that would be best case Ontario.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Forgot to add- my timing IS advanced. About 1/8" from the little notch on the gear housing. Maybe just under that. I also time my engine by ear/engine behavior.
:rock:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smoke doesn’t equal power, that’s unburned fuel and lost efficiency. Do you have a the pump maxed as is? If so I would look for boost leaks, a maxed pump should make at least 10 psi before you even touch the wastegate

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Smoke doesn’t equal power, that’s unburned fuel and lost efficiency. Do you have a the pump maxed as is? If so I would look for boost leaks, a maxed pump should make at least 10 psi before you even touch the wastegate

i was under the impression that my truck was running over-fueled, and underboosted? hence the smoke.

most of what ive read says that the factory wastegate setting sits around 7-8 lbs? i know i dont have a boost leak, i just finished pulling everything apart and reasealing it all.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I would adjust your timing some more find the sweet spot, yes they are about 7psi but that’s with stock fuel

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
so if im seeing smoke and only hitting 8 with the wastegate set to factory settings then im either underfueled or my timing is too fart advanced?