7.3 IDI is a turbo worth it?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, original head gaskets. 10 psi occasionally seeing 12. Truck will be up for sale soon with 7 to 9 PSI dialed in to account for a new owner who might not be as mindful or conservative as I.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW the new truck, a factory turbo 94 is now studded and running a Max of 15 psi. Soon to get a intercooler. I really believe that staying conservative with the EGT is one of the keys two head gasket longevity.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, original head gaskets. 10 psi occasionally seeing 12. Truck will be up for sale soon with 7 to 9 PSI dialed in to account for a new owner who might not be as mindful or conservative as I.
Again, to each their own.
Neither engine went over 12psi, nor 1k. Banks sidewinder. Second engine was from my 88, which I had drove for about a year na.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hence, YMMV. I guess it's kind of a crapshoot one way or the other unless you know the complete history of the truck. And then of course you could always get a lemon...

faaiish

Reaction score
I believe they are the factory gaskets it doesnt appear to have any appearance of the valve covers ever being off.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got dozens of customer trucks I have tuned with stock pumps or my own pumps that are running 12 psi on stock hg. Haven’t had a single issue, even with the guys requesting a “Hail Mary” setup running 15 psi. Never had a hg blow from that much boost. Now you overheat it and warp a head....

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have yet to see a 7.3 idi with a blown headgasket. Some have been tortured. High sustained boost (20ish psi) and scary egts. 6.9s though, I have done lots of gaskets turbo or not. I personally would not feel comfortable with a 6.9 in my truck (the way I have used it) regardless of studs or gaskets used.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got dozens of customer trucks I have tuned with stock pumps or my own pumps that are running 12 psi on stock hg. Haven’t had a single issue, even with the guys requesting a “Hail Mary” setup running 15 psi. Never had a hg blow from that much boost. Now you overheat it and warp a head....

Heat is the killer.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
"a full rebuilt upgraded compressor turbo setup, with new up pipe castings = no leaks, for 1250.00...

When I figured out I could buy running cummins trucks for less than an IDI turbo kit....

:sly

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to throw my experience into the hive....

I put a hypermax kit on my IDI van (max design boost is 11psi, but i usually only got up to 7-9) I didn't run studs. Drove it for about 25K (heavy loading, 1-2 tons in the back, long road trips, etc), when I noticed oil in the coolant. Did the oil cooler, Waterpump, t-stat, HG's, and replaced the heads, and put in studs. Nothing fixed the oil problem. I ended up pulling the engine, and swapping it with my 6.9 with no studs. Drove that for over 20K while I rebuilt a different 7.3 block. While running the 6.9 and rebuilt 7.3, the oil in coolant disappeared.

The only thing I can think of is my block got a pin hole leak in the oil galleys or something. I don't think my engine failure was because of the turbo install.

I put over 15K on the new rebuild, and I put a WW2 in . Now I can get passed the design boost pressure of the Hypermax kit, but EGT's are still approach 1100 deg F under extreme load and steep grades. The new rebuild 7.3 has studs torqued to 140 ft-lbs. So far, no HG failures or signs of issues.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I run an 86 with a 6.9 with a hypermax turbo I put on it before I ever sold my 6.0 powerstroke I drove it a bit while it was n/a and it was a decent truck but now that it is my pull rig I am so glad I have the turbo especially when I'm crossing the continental divide with my 9k camper but I will tell you this you won't win any races but the truck will pull it with little complaining and be very reliable while doing it my wife laughs that I keep a 100 dollar bill and a tool set as a repair kit because that's all you need when I had my 6.0 it was a credit line at the local carquest and hoping I wasn't over my limit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online