7.3 IDI is a turbo worth it?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any body new to this place probably reads a lot of your guys comments and run from an idi all I hear all day here is don't over boost abd put a Cummins in it. Really I beat my truck till it wants to puke and the ole girl just runs great in my personal opinion someone asking if a turbo is worth it I say hell yes it is make sure your engine isn't all clapped out and start conservative then tune to your specific needs also there are a lot of people on here with a great wealth of knowledge on theas trucks if you need some help otherwise give her hell

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Any body new to this place probably reads a lot of your guys comments and run from an idi all I hear all day here is don't over boost abd put a Cummins in it.
While I may caution about too much boost, you'll NEVER see me say to put a Cummins in it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Cummins, but I'm just not much of a fan of them. I AM a HUGE fan of the 6.9/7.3 IDI and maybe that's why I almost never visit any other sub forum than this one. If I couldn't have an IDI, I would have a 7.3PSD, not a Cummins.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really I beat my truck till it wants to puke and the ole girl just runs great in my personal opinion someone asking if a turbo is worth it I say hell yes it is make sure your engine isn't all clapped out and start conservative then tune to your specific needs

I once drove a 7.3IDI with a cracked block all the way from Newfoundland to California. These engines can handle a lot of abuse. The only time it got a little disconcerting was when I drove across the mojave in 110 deg heat. I survived the trek, limped the beast home 5000 miles.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just to step back a bit and stay on track, I'm definitely not saying don't turbo.
Just for me personally, I won't, unless its studded. (Or just a more efficient turboĺ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW the new truck, a factory turbo 94 is now studded and running a Max of 15 psi. Soon to get a intercooler. I really believe that staying conservative with the EGT is one of the keys two head gasket longevity.
Will you build your own intercooler set up or do you have a source for a kit?

Runningaford

Reaction score
I took my na zf5 to turbo, banks down pipe, and straight pipe out before the rear wheel. On top of that, I turned the pump up a couple-ish flats. This alone made a huge difference in power, and grunt.

At some point I'd like to do more, but so far this has been enough power for me; very comfortable.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my na zf5 to turbo, banks down pipe, and straight pipe out before the rear wheel. On top of that, I turned the pump up a couple-ish flats. This alone made a huge difference in power, and grunt.

At some point I'd like to do more, but so far this has been enough power for me; very comfortable.
That's it right there. The difference between even a mild turbo and naturally aspirated is night and day. Put 5 to 7 lb of boost on these engines and it's a whole different animal. 12 to 15 even more so...

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9 og head gaskets as far as I know and I regularly hit 10 to 12 (daily). Been that way for a year and no issues. My clutch slips and when it does it will hit 14 which is where my tial wastegate is set.

I put a Cummins in a 73 k10. Basic swap, no luxuries like ac etc. I sold it because the Cummins had a cracked block. I sold the motor with the known cracked block for $3k. Body went to the junkyard for $500. It was a 1993 ve pump. I've done a lot to my 6.9 and it is much torquier than my turned up ve pump Cummins was with fuel pin (or plate, can't remember) some timing, and a hx40. HP wise, the Cummins won and would get up and go faster. Sometimes internet reputation is just that. A p pump is a different story and would be like our trucks having come from the factory with a db4 pump.

Had a 6.0 and I won't own one again, or any new diesel unless it's free and under warranty.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I think I've said it before.... when I put on my Ford/IDI purist hat... I'd be hunting down a factory IDI-T engine and ZF5-S42 for rebuild and swap. Lump along with the NA and auto until then.

Man not down here, we call it the 5.9 tax. People want 2k for a locked up ve block.

'5.9 tax' is everywhere. Engines for $2k missing parts with no history are easy to find here. Spend enough time shopping, and waiting, the bottom-feeder buys do come up. They just don't last long. I've been lucky enough to pickup three runner D250s and a P-pump/nv4500/241DHD donor in ~6 years of looking. $500, $700, $1000, $1500 respectively.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.9 in an obs is a great setup, much better truck than a first or second gen imo, and with the amount of aftermarket support for the Cummins they are the right choice for a lot of people ;Sweet

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as a plug and play kit would be a pleasure, they want crazy money for them compared to what you can roll your own for. I'll be putting together my own setup come spring.
Agreed. Built my own for the Powerstroke. I used a 6.0l cooler and pipes then a lot of fabrication. I'm not sure how I'll do this one.

faaiish

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, it looks like I will be trying to find me a used turbo set up.