7.3 IDI Glowplug srewed up after removal

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: @packrat: it is definitely the glow plug hole.

I cranked the engine, i think 5 times around without the wires connected (both) to the fuel pump, the hole covered with an old t shirt.
I strayed wd40 inside the hole 2h before. After that i tried to insert a screwdriver just to test if the hole is no more blocked.
I could not find anything shot out of the glow plug hole BUT the screwdriver just fall in!
I screwed in the GP, just without any issue! :)

Though the batteries are dead now, i need to wait fir charging... but first issue is done.

btw: my guess is that the GP relay is not working. As far as i read there are different sounds showing if it's working correct. It clicks 5/sec and sometimes 2/sec. Warm up shows ca. 5-10 sec.
While "warm up" and a GP connected to the harness outside the engine- should this begin to glow? I would guess so.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
UPDATE: @packrat: it is definitely the glow plug hole.

I cranked the engine, i think 5 times around without the wires connected (both) to the fuel pump, the hole covered with an old t shirt.
I strayed wd40 inside the hole 2h before. After that i tried to insert a screwdriver just to test if the hole is no more blocked.
I could not find anything shot out of the glow plug hole BUT the screwdriver just fall in!
I screwed in the GP, just without any issue! :)

Though the batteries are dead now, i need to wait fir charging... but first issue is done.

btw: my guess is that the GP relay is not working. As far as i read there are different sounds showing if it's working correct. It clicks 5/sec and sometimes 2/sec. Warm up shows ca. 5-10 sec.
While "warm up" and a GP connected to the harness outside the engine- should this begin to glow? I would guess so.

ONLY if the body of the GP has a good ground, and be sure the tip of the GP isn't touching anything.

Edit: Not really a good way to test your GP system. It's best to put it all together properly then test for voltage at the harness while it's cycling.

Last edited:

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, ok I guess you are right. I read about the voltage at the relay and how much should be shown, if ignition on/off.
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I'm happy to read the blockage has been cleared and the glow plug now fits. hope this is the end of your glow plug issues..

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good grief...I sure hope whatever was IN the hole didn't fall into the precup/cylinder, and was indeed blown out.
Maybe rotate the engine over a few times by hand with a breaking bar first?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Well as long as it wasn't a tip of a
Glow plug that was blocking it(which i think we decided it wasnt) and it was just built up carbon blocking the hole he should be ok to run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure have never seen an engine with only 100,000 miles look that nasty in that area. Exhaust manifolds, yes, but not the top of the engine. Thats what I was basing my assumption on. Glad it worked out.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ever was blocking, it has been inside before, I am sure.

Though it did not start with 2 times cranking. Although a bad idea, I used start pilot, just a min tip.
It started immediately and run smooth. After some minutes I tipped the throttle a little and it runs still smooth and rpm went up easy. Restart after some minutes worked.

So GP probably still not work I guess.
Relay, harness... Not a concrete idea.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like thats the wrong hole dude. That is a blind bolt hole. Sorry if I posted too late.
Geez, I got dressed and went out at 9:30P at 10*F and took pics of the U-haul Van engine, to verify the GP hole.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ever was blocking, it has been inside before, I am sure.

Though it did not start with 2 times cranking. Although a bad idea, I used start pilot, just a min tip.
It started immediately and run smooth. After some minutes I tipped the throttle a little and it runs still smooth and rpm went up easy. Restart after some minutes worked.

So GP probably still not work I guess.
Relay, harness... Not a concrete idea.

I forgot what year truck you have, but if it has a voltmeter in the dash, does it drop way over to the left when you cycle the plugs?

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell that pretty much sure there is no power at the GP. I tested with a lamp directly at the GP, no light at cylinder 8/7. the other ones not tested yet. This was during "warm up".
During warm up i get power at the gpr at 2 wires, without the keys I get power at 1 wire at the gpr.

Does that mean that the gpr is working? if so and gp are new why is there no power at the gp?

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the GP controller circuit.

Attachments

• G P Controller.GIF
    G P Controller.GIF
    198.9 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Forum statistics