7.3 idi / C6. To 7.3 PS / 4R100 swap

crr31c

Reaction score
Ok, so just playing around with an idea in my head. I have an 88 F350 7.3 idi with c6. Truck is completely rebuilt and I love my truck. However I need more HP and another forward gear. I have access to a 7.3 power stroke and trans out of a wrecked 03 F250 with only about 120000 miles on it. Anyone done a power stroke swap into one of these trucks and what mods would be needed?

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely more effort than it's worth. Find an IDI ZF-5 truck and switch EVERYTHING if you need the 5-speed!

Eli

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
It has been done. It is nearly one of those of you have to ask don’t try it type of project. A person confident on vehicle electronics, electrical, able to read diagrams and decide what to keep, what to eliminate and how to overlay the two electrical systems is what it takes.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
@IDIoit

Brian worked on a conversion like that. It was a 7.3 into a Brick. I think there was firewall modification and a whole lot of other fabrication. A PSD into and OBS is easier, since Ford put one in a n OBS. I think if I wanted an IH Engine, I would do a DT360 swap.... it would be easier.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres 2 ways to go about it.
the hotrod way, and the stock way.
you can find "obs dash swap" threads here, by me. sorry no link.
firewall mods include bulk head swap for the electrical connectors.
I also clearance for the wastegate .
thread is in the conversion forum I think "89F350"
or
you can go to mark fugazotto he will make you a stand alone harness.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, if you need to ask, you probably have not done much of that sort of thing.

First, if you will settle for just an additional gear, you can put an E4OD on the IDI. I did that in my 84 E350 with a Baumman controller. But normally you would not want the 0.7 overdrive on top of whatever rear gear you now have, so that means a rear gear change. When I changed gears I went to a dually.

But as for power. My 84 E350 has a 94 turbo IDI. Runs great. It weighs 9K#. I also have a 2001 E350 PSD. It weighs 11.4K#. It will easily out pull my 84. But, when I got the 2001, the first thing I had to do was spend four hundred dollars for software to read the computer. And then there was the thousand dollars it cost me to get out of Corpus Christi because of a loose connection under a valve cover.

So I have one simple and one powerful. My daily driver is the simple.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of things. First off, if you are doing the same work, you are going to need similar amounts of fuel. What I see is that the powerstroke might be a little more effecient at light load(or that may just be gear ratios), but under heavy load, well, you need fuel if you are going to use that power. And the amount of fuel needed is pretty well proportionate to the work done.

Also, just remember that frontal area affects fuel economy more than straight weight does. So hauling an empty box trailer is going to take more work(probably) than a flatbed trailer with 15K of iron plate or concrete on it(low frontal area).

I know I've noticed that when hauling.

Also, with an IDI especially NA, if you can keep the revs down, you get a much more efficient burn(and therefor better fuel economy). Add a turbo and now you can actually burn more fuel higher in the rev range... but still, the lower RPM and less fuel you can get away with, the better fuel economy you can get.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the original poster, how much do you really like the truck? How much time and money you have available for a long drawn out project?

I loved my truck so much that I re-geared, THEN added an E4OD. The E4OD upgrade cost roughly what the truck was worth at the time...and the upgrade was worth every last penny! But it was also a lot of work and more money than most people are willing to spend on an "old beater".

If we're comparing a stock 4R100 to a stock E4OD, the later transmission is slightly better in most aspects, but not by much. As much as I like how my truck turned out, I hesitate to advise anyone else to go through with it on the cheap. If the transmission has known history, and preferably with a Ford spec rebuild, then go for it. If its some used setup with unknown history...might be better off with a 5 speed swap. An E4OD/4R100 upgrade is not likely going to be as cheap as a 5 speed, and if you can't rebuild it yourself, you could be in for a world of hurt later on.

As for the control system, I personally prefer the aftermarket setup. I'm running the original Baumann TCS, and aside from one wire coming loose in the harness, it has been flawless from day one.

One final word of caution on the 4R100. The torque converter won't fit the IDI. The PSD converter will use 6 studs, while the IDI uses 4 studs. So you'll have to buy a torque converter, or try redrilling your flexplate. And you will need to take the starter ring (AKA "Adapter Plate") off the PSD engine block as well. The IDI adapter plate has the top two bolts offset above the engine block, while the PSD is only a straight through spacer (smaller).

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what the different transmission spacer plates look like.

The IDI is cast iron and has the offset top two holes. It also has two extra holes that only hold the adapter plate to the engine block, so in theory, you can crank and start an IDI without the transmission bolted up.

The PSD style plate is only a spacer, so the transmission is what holds it against the engine block.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

crr31c

Reaction score
david85. I’m just seeing your reply to my thread. I’ve been really busy and haven’t been on here, but are you saying the 4r100 will bolt up to the 7.3 idi. By just changing the adapter plate and torque converter? I have heard only the e4od would bolt up and only if the e4od came off another 7.3 idi. That the housing was different. I really want to add the 4 speed trans, but I’ve also heard the e4od was notoriously unreliable. And I have access to 4r100.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it should bolt up since the 7.3 powerstroke has the same block pattern as the IDI (6.9 or 7.3). I remember this topic came up a few years back when someone swapped a ZF6 into an IDI truck. I'm not sure if this is the same guy but he describes the spacer plate in his writeup. He also confirms the four lower bolts are in the same location but that the top two are different.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/threads/how-to-put-a-6-speed-zf-in-a-2wd-idi.52618/

Now, reading carefully, he describes the block bolt pattern being the reason that they are different, but I think the top two holes are offset higher, similar to the IDI (and I suspect the same location). In his case, he had to remove the spacer plate in order to make the 5 speed work. So it seems that some powerstrokes had the higher offset bolt starter ring as well. In the linked example above, he couldn't use it due do the wrong spacing for the cutch.

Another older thread here describes a similar swap:

https://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/65-project-log-forum/414425-zf6-obs-2.html

The last post describes the shared bolt pattern between the IDI and the 7.3 DI...unfortunately his photos are not online anymore.

I haven't performed a 4R100 swap on an IDI but everything I've read says that it can be done. Only trouble is, many of these older forums and photobucket images are hard to find after a few years.

I was hoping to give you a more solid answer than this, but that's all I can offer for now.