6.9 idi n/a performance questions

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The typ4 cam was originally designed for n/a apps if I remember correctly.

Chase

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes the typ4 cam was made for that because the loging industry in oregon needed a little more hp. So someone made up a regrind. It works very well with a turbo too. Just ask those that have driven Russ's rig.:sly

Reaction score
its 145k original miles, i doubt the injectors have been replaced. the pump may have been turned up, not sure. it will roal coal pretty good sometimes. and it will do a powerbrake and roast the tires off, and 0-60 pretty good. it sounds like a v8 and raps out pretty fast. i just want a little more umph. and edit: how would one go about timing the ip?

When you say it "sounds like a V8", do you mean it sounds like a GASSER V8? If so, that's an indication your timing has retarded itself and you're in need of either a little bit of time with some timing equipment or a new IP altogether. When timed properly, it should have a healthy rattle, moreso in the morning when the high idle is set.

Mike

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said the cam was designed for NA engines that lugged a crewcab 4x4 around some of the nastiest logging roads ever. And those guys know how to load down a ford.
You wont see ANY chevy crewcabs in the logging yards around here.

The cam has produced an 11% increase in torque and HP as stated by the grinder, back when they first did it one of their customers dynoed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger