Tow 12,600 with a 6.9 N/A ?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my kid found a Case 530 CK weighing in around 8,600 the trailer that is available to move it with weighs in at 4,000.
12,600 with an '87 F250 6.9 N/A 4X4, E4OD? I have to move it about 60 miles. Long, slow, miles.
Now if the 7.3 idiT was done, this would NOT be an issue.
I figure to pop the hood release and let the hood ride up a bit for the trip.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a ZF guy but if you don't have auxiliary trans cooling I'd worry. Other that that it's just slow.

If it's hilly it'll be really, really slow. But the 6.9 in good shape should be fine. :Thumbs Up

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure to pop the hood release and let the hood ride up a bit for the trip

Another member on here had his hood not completely latched (like you're describing) and had a truck pass him and the wind from it flipped his hood up and destroyed his windshield and hood and cowl. Very sad day for a beautiful truck.

If you do try this, just be aware that technically you need to have a CDL Class A to do this (because of the weight) so stay away from anywhere there might be a DOT checkpoint.

I wouldn't recommend it going that far, but I'd be dumb enough to do it myself so I'm not going to try and talk you out of it LOL she'll pull it, although SLOW. Better make darn sure the trailer brakes are working good and give yourself lots of extra room for stopping.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60 miles should be no problem, just don't get in a hurry. I have pulled my 24' Pace enclosed (10,000 lbs when loaded and very un-aerodynamic) back and forth between Springfield, MO and Northwest MN a number of times with my '85 F350 6.9 N/A. That is a 900 mile one way trip. The truck was bone stock except for the Ranger Gear splitter / Overdrive. The biggesty problem I had is the clutch would get hot and want to slip if I was hitting a bunch of stop and go lights.

Of course the block did crack at the #4 main web this summer, so take that with a grain of salt. It is currently being rebuilt with a 7.3 IDI Turbo, should be able to keep up with traffic a bit better once that motor is completed.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • Class A CDL in Orygun

• A trailer, or multiple trailers, with a total gross vehicle weight rating or actual gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds when the gross combination weight rating or actual gross combination weight, whichever is greater, of all vehicles combined is 26,001 pounds or more;
Trailer should be pushing 12,600, truck weighs in around 6,600 which gets me to 19,200.
The really nasty part on this is my removing two braces the PO installed so I could stuff the spare tire back up in it's hole. I neglected to fully inspect/finalize my repair and the rear bumper/trailer hitch is a bit on the downward angle side.

The 7.3 idiT is a nice machine, just needs more gears than an E4OD.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • Class A CDL in Orygun

• A trailer, or multiple trailers, with a total gross vehicle weight rating or actual gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds when the gross combination weight rating or actual gross combination weight, whichever is greater, of all vehicles combined is 26,001 pounds or more;
Trailer should be pushing 12,600, truck weighs in around 6,600 which gets me to 19,200.
The really nasty part on this is my removing two braces the PO installed so I could stuff the spare tire back up in it's hole. I neglected to fully inspect/finalize my repair and the rear bumper/trailer hitch is a bit on the downward angle side.

The 7.3 idiT is a nice machine, just needs more gears than an E4OD.

It's not the actual weight, but the Gross weight RATING. I think you'll find the truck is rated for 9200 or so, what's the trailer rated or registered for? Notice it says "whichever is greater".

I'm not giving you a hard time, just warning you what the law is going to say if they catch you.

My dually is rated for 10,000. I can't legally haul a trailer with a GVWR of over 16,000 even if it's empty.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duh! Okay. My brian is awake now. This could be a problem. Here's hoping that Case 530 doesn't look like a monster. Most Case machines tend to do that. Uh, oops?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a red triangle plate and Drive it!:sorry: It won't be any faster than an e4od 'd 6.9 LOL
Tell em to pound sand :flipa
Big Grin

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, hopefully it is a bit faster than about 25 MPH. The rains have kept me from wiring in the 7 pin connector for the Tekonsha RF brake controller. Wireless means it can get transferred to my 3rd truck.
Eventually.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good brakes TRUMP engine power alllllllll day long.
Have you tried lifting the rear hinge mounting to let the air out at the cowl?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes have not been a great issue in the past because this 6.9 takes its time getting to speed.
I lifted the rear hinges on my '86 F250 gasser 460. I suspect that one probably has a partially plugged rad and I actually put about 500 miles on it in the past 2 years. It passes most everything on the road except a gas station.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're getting a lot of input from the flatlanders, but just in case you're 60 mile journey takes you over any significant grades, remember that being 4WD you do have 4 Low range at your disposal. With the front hubs unlocked and using 4 Low, you won't have any issues starting and the engine braking will help with heavy grade stopping too. Your only complaint in 4 Low range would be a very limited top speed :D

+1 on not unlatching the hood. Too many bad things can happen if the hood comes up (watch Tommy Boy if you need a reminder). What I would do is clean your radiator as good as you can with a garden hose, and take a pump up garden sprayer with you just in case you need to pull over and cool it off. I was always amazed how quickly an external spray over the radiator with a garden sprayer cooled off a hot running racecar at the drag strip.

Go slow and be patient, like you are hauling a really heavy load with a really old truck :joker:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto on the garden sprayer. If consistently getting hot on hills/grades you can also buy a piece of hose, cut the wand in two between the tip and hand valve. Connect the pieces with a long hose and zip tie the end in front of the trans cooler and radiator on the grill. Leave the sprayer in the cab with you and cool it down as you drive. Not a long term solution to inadequate cooling but a way to get over a mountain or a couple of steep grades and home with your truck in one piece.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flatlanders:rotflmao
I towed the 5er to Alaska n back;Poke
Valid point tho!
The hill prowess of the cornbinder eng. proves the lack of agricultural lands in the mountains lol, slow gutless junk....
I apologize for not being more clear: I was not referring to you CLB or insulting anybody else on this thread as I think all the feedback is good. I just struggle when people refer to things that don’t have snow on them year round as “mountains”. I skied back East, but not on any mountains. An old pal of mine from Ohio told me he thought I was exaggerating until he pulled a trailer up the Grapevine :p