6.9 idi n/a performance questions

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
i have an 87 f250, 4x4 with 6.9 n/a, 4.10 gears. it has headers with dual exhaust. it runs good, really dependable, and i get 15-16 mpg if i stay around 50. i can go 65-70 towing no problem, but its a little doggy on hills. i was wondering what other things i could do to help that are relatively easy. i plan on adding a cold air intake, but is there anything else available? thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What are the miles on the injecters, the injection pump and do you know if the engine has ever been timed. Answer these questions and possibly we can get you more power. A badly timed engine will be a dog not matter what you do with it but timed correctly its a differant truck.

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
its 145k original miles, i doubt the injectors have been replaced. the pump may have been turned up, not sure. it will roal coal pretty good sometimes. and it will do a powerbrake and roast the tires off, and 0-60 pretty good. it sounds like a v8 and raps out pretty fast. i just want a little more umph. and edit: how would one go about timing the ip?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Im currently in proccess of going turbo will let you know how that goes, I did several things to it na and it never had much get up and go with loads but it never failed to tow anything I put behind it and nearly always got me there without a headache of engine trouble. I timed my engine and mpg went up but the butt dyno said almost no power gained. Not many options for na

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
To time it, first, PM gary "icanfixall" an see how soon you can rent a meter. Then follow his instructions on how to use it. He's our resident timing guru.

Altho honestly from what you're describing power wise. You already have all you're going to get. Time it, seriously. However don't expect anything more than what you've got.

If you want a little more, then you'll need a turbo. They're not hard to find, there's likely at least one in the marketplace here, and not very expensive. Add a turbo, turn your pump up a little, and happiness will ensue.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said it has 145K on the pump and injectors. That is about 45K more than the maintenance schedule, though it sounds like it is still running well. I would say contact Gary and time it. Then start saving your pennies to get a QUALITY IP and injectors. As far as NA performance, there isn't a lot you can do. A good exhaust and intake can help a little. Is yours a manual or auto with a c6? If it is the c6 you can adjust the shift points easily via the VRV on the ip. I did this because mine would upshift extremely quickly making it doggy. A slight adjustment and ow with just a little more throttle it will hold a lower gear much better and aid in acceleration.

Though with all that said if I had a truck instead of a van the first thing I would do (after maintenance) would be to add a turbo.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These engines respond very well to a turbo even if you don't upgrade the injection pump to turbo status. Banks never told anyone to install a turbo calibrated injection pump. the suggest truning up the pump 2 flats. You are past what most will say is the average lifetime for the pump and injecter but sounds like you have a great running rig. Timing is very important and most have no idea what they have for timing. Never think that if the injection pump is lined up to the timing marks thats its timed properly. Those marks really mean nothing and its a wonder they are there in the first place. The factory makes them as they leave the test line. But after that any pump change will not time correctly by those marks. All injection pumps are build with a differant timing setup. I do rent the Kent Moore J33300-A timing meters. If interested pm me and I will explain how simple it is. My meters come with all the tools to time these engines plus I'm available by pnone any time of day or nite with questions when your timing your engine. Russ aka typ4 is located in Oregon so if your close to him maybe he can time your engine for you. He has the same meter I have.

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
my 84 has a 7.3 ip that has been tuned. and a banks factory turbo. but its been on the truck 500k+ miles, and i think it would be a pain trying to get all the exhaust off and back together wihout something breaking. but after talking to you guys i probably dont have much to worry about, as i look i do see one small leak on the front injector, but i dont think it effects my performance much but im still gonna fix it. and mine is a c6, just had the tranny rebuilt when i bought it. shifts great, with 4.10s i still get upto 20-25 mph in 1st, but if i dont let off the throttle for it to shift the ip cuts out cuz it revs too high i think. i would like to add the turbo, but i just got a 74 f100, and i gotta do more still to it, clutch flywheel all that good stuff, and some exhaust work. already did the timing cover and water pump, so my free time is spent.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it shoudlnt cut off, rather just maintain max rpm (3800 i think)?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow....surprised no one has mentioned the ubiquitous Typ4 cam for him.

PM Typ4 his name is Russ, about a cam he offers that may provide a weee bit more oomph for ya however being NA it just is limited in what you can expect.

It won't be until you force more air in be it supercharger or turbo either will do, kits are made to turbo, and for s super charger you would need to create one.

I've always wondered about a paxton supercharger sized say for a 7.5 gasser and then some brackets fabbed up for our engines...Hmmm...maybe something to think about guys....

Anyway ya Time it, Tune it...new injectors and or IP, and Turbo it the three T's of diesel engines!

JM2CW

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
ive never had a truck with a cam in it but i think thats the one mod you NEED if you're going to run N/A. the fact that Russ-TYP4 can run 3.55s with his pig of a truck and all his junk AND still have power.. turbo or not that thing should not be able to do that.

is your exhaust true dual? if so put a cross over in it. H or X pipe. i think you have a good start for N/A. i towed with a 87 6.9L N/A zf5 2wd 3.55 RCLB without issues. first gear take offs are not as easy. SLOW.. alot of 3rd gear high revving :-D

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive never had a truck with a cam in it but i think thats the one mod you NEED if you're going to run N/A. the fact that Russ-TYP4 can run 3.55s with his pig of a truck and all his junk AND still have power.. turbo or not that thing should not be able to do that.

I read quite bit about this cam and it seems to perform well. Just didn't know how much it would help a NA engine. Were there ever any before and after dyno testing? If it made a decent difference NA I might be interested.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
there a couple of different brand air cleaner lids out there too...banks had one...ray-wel made one...

supposed to be more of a ram air. had one on mine N/A....not sure how much of a difference it made though

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is N/A, and I have driven the same truck with a turbo. It felt like it had two engines under the hood compared to mine. Turbo is the only mod that is going to be worth the money and the trouble. You can probably get a few bucks out of the headers and dual exhaust system, someone will buy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online