6.9 head studs?

frdtrckmnrich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has replaced there head bolts with studs? What brand did you use? Anyone know of a good place to get them?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Summit Racing has them and they sell them cheaper than ARP can even though ARP makes them. They are the best upgrade for the 6.9 motors besides a turbo....:D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I remember something about them not making this for the 7.3 engines, is this right?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember something about them not making this for the 7.3 engines, is this right?

That is correct. I did get some 1/2 x 7 inch studs from them for my 7.3. Works very nice, they are not quite as strong as the actual head studs but they are much better than stock bolts.;Sweet

frdtrckmnrich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my headgaskets earlier this year, I then add a banks turbo kit. Now i have a coolant loss/hard starting/gurgling in the overflow problem. So i plan to pull the heads again in hopes to find a bad gasket or bolt (hopefully).

Since haveing done the head gaskets the first time i have learned that i should have studded it then!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i got the ARP studs from my local auto parts store, i know a guy that works there and he matched summit and took like 10% off! ;Sweet well i see my next setup's going to be a turbo, looks like it's going to be a real treat :puke: . and while my oil cooler is off will the "engine gasket kit" come with the o-rings? if not, it's probably worth it to get the rings and replace them eh? :dunno

-Jon

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That is correct. I did get some 1/2 x 7 inch studs from them for my 7.3. Works very nice, they are not quite as strong as the actual head studs but they are much better than stock bolts.;Sweet

Do You have by chance a part # and address in case someone wants to orders?

Jon
I don't think the kit comes with this o-rings either way use plenty lube to make sure they seat properly.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got the ARP studs from my local auto parts store, i know a guy that works there and he matched summit and took like 10% off! ;Sweet well i see my next setup's going to be a turbo, looks like it's going to be a real treat :puke: . and while my oil cooler is off will the "engine gasket kit" come with the o-rings? if not, it's probably worth it to get the rings and replace them eh? :dunno

-Jon

What year 6.9 are you putting in? If it is an 83 or 84, you will have a lot of trouble finding the O-rings for the 6 ring coolers that those have. Best to find a newer cooler off a later model and swap the whole thing.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do You have by chance a part # and address in case someone wants to orders?

Jon
I don't think the kit comes with this o-rings either way use plenty lube to make sure they seat properly.

I will dig up the reciept and see what is on it, they dont have a part number just the size I think.

Both gasket sets I had, had the orings in it, even the old 6 ringer.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
it's out of a '86 f-350. so if i order it for that they'll bew able to get them? how hard are they to change? i was looking at it and couldn't figure it out, i have the manual now, mabe if i read it it'll help! cookoo and i don't have a pressure tester, do they usually leak when they're rebuilt? :confused:

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of mine when I took it apart. They may be helpful...

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    841.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg