To stud or not to stud

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are studs really necessary for a 7.3 with a stock Hypermax turbo kit? From what I’ve read if you want to boost a 6.9 you need to stud it, but the Hypermax doesn’t boost over 14 pisseye, and thats really only under load at wide effen open, above 3k rpm. I understand that studs make things better, but are they truly necessary for a lightly boosted 7.3?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Fwiw, i was able to find higher grade bolts for my cummins than factory stuff... just another idea.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truly necessary? Not really if you're going easy and keeping the boost down.

They're good peace of mind though. If you can manage to afford them I'd personally do it anyway. As expensive as the studs are, they're still cheaper than doing it again if the head gasket does fail.

I can definitely understand not doing it though because of money.

At the very least use new head bolts and clean the block threads well before assembly.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aight really the money isn’t an issue, just wondering if it is unnecessary. Not wanting to throw money at it that it doesn’t need, eats enough as it is lol :rotflmao

I’ll get some ordered then. Realistically the truck won’t be running down the roads of eastern Kansas until the middle of October. I will absolutely need the truck the first weekend of December, it’ll get the hell run out of it. 30th of November through the 4th of December. I hope to have it done long before then. Gonna replace the entire fuel system, reseal and paint the engine, put it in my truck, and build an exhaust. Will also get a 5 speed in place of its current 4 ‘box.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not necessary for 14 psi, but if you have the heads off and have the cash then absolutely

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No not necessary for 14 psi,
I ordered a set from R and D this morning. I’m a fan of overkill, just wondered if this was complete overkill and really not worth it, but as it seems that it can prevent head gasket failure I will be studding my 7.3

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set from R and D this morning. I’m a fan of overkill, just wondered if this was complete overkill and really not worth it, but as it seems that it can prevent head gasket failure I will be studding my 7.3
Wasn’t aware he had them in stock, you can never go wrong with studding ever, even n/a they are good to reuse
And when you are building a truck to last a lifetime it’s definitely up there on the list of stuff to do

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Studs are great. I plan to do mine sometime.
I've always read that 12psi is the safe number for factory head gaskets and bolts. Any more than that you risk blowing the gasket.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ran 25 psi for years without failure on head bolts

Attachments

• 192524711_4895363377147398_9034603665264400593_n.jpg
    192524711_4895363377147398_9034603665264400593_n.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 10

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the question "to stud or not to stud", it's simply this: if it's an Arabian horse and it's confirmation is CORRECT then yes use him for stud. "Papers" mean nothing, "CONFIRMATION" is EVERYTHING. I don't want a big headed, sloping croup, marshmallow of a horse. Small dished head, level croup, sloping back, short cannons, mane to the off side, at the very most 15h at the either but it would be better at 14h, upright head and tail while moving, big nostrils, big bulging wet eyes that are set far apart, it should seem to say "I'm a desert horse" even if it's in a swamp. It doesn't matter if it's parents are "world champions" and you got papers to prove it, quit breeding Arabians to look like quarter horses........only stud it if the confirmation is CORRECT!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin