6.9 coolant

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my petc o ck valve oring on my radiator went out last night and this morning the driveway was covered in antifreeze IM going to fix it tonight but IM also going to do a flush and am curious what kind of coolant to use in these motors... sorry for the simple questions but IM new to the diesel world and new to the forum... thanks in advance

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not saying this is for you but I run Evans Coolant lifetime fill coolant. I have a new engine and radiator so this was a no brainer for me.
In your case you do need a premium coolant, I would go to your local Kelly Tractor and get ya some CAT coolant that has SCAs or NAPA nowcool. Make sure your lower radiator hose cannot collapse, mine did and I had to rebuild my new engine once again. Suck closed at speed caused a rear cylinder to scuff and hurt my ego.

Javier

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a 6.9 it's not that critical as they don't cavitate like a 7.3. Standard "green" antifreeze works just fine, if you are going to keep it for a long time and/or really care about your cooling system, you could install a coolant filter, but it's not terribly necessary on a 6.9. Good luck and welcome to OB by the way.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the welcome... i do plan on keeping this truck for a while... it is my primary vehicle and i will be using it to tow a 16 foot trailer with my wifes car on it in from ca to Ga in January... i am trying to fix everything so i wont think twice about making the 2200 mile trip... so i would like to do it right so i dont have to worry about it in the future... i have ben hearing i "should" run oreilly ELC coolant... i dont mind cost as id rather pay a little more now to save alot in the long run... so any advice is greatly appreciated

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and also curious what would be the best way to do a flush on these motors so i can be sure to get all the old coolant out and put in new coolant

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
To properly drain your engine there are, I believe a total of four (4) 1/8" drain plugs on the engine block; two per side. Remove all four and the block will completely drain, this would be a good ime to install drain *****, so that the next time it would be much easier.

As to your question as to what coolant to use, Napa sells the Fleetguard line of coolant that has the SCA's premixed. I too would suggest adding a coolant filtration to the truck also. Which you could use the coolant filter 4070, used for just filtering the coolant or the 4071 which has a time released SCA additive. Determining the amount to of SCA's to add to your system to maintain it, you would need to use test strips that you can find at Carquest.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought if i ran an ELC coolant i didnt have to worry about the sca until i did another flush way down the road?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There are only 2 block drain plugs and both are 1/4 inch national pipe threads. The passenger side is the tuff you to get at becauseof the starter cable is very close to any wrench you use.. That cable is always hot. It has power on it at all times. So laying under the truck.. Making contact.. Wrenches make sparks and sometimes melt. Gravity will suck those hot juigleberrys down on you face and chest.... Now I don't know how much hair is on your chest but for me.. Well I disconnect the batteries when I'm working that close to grounding the positive cables.. BTW the glow plug controller and the alteranter also have a hot cable with power on them at all times too. Don't feel what I posted is true.. Try testing the leads with a voltmeter. This will surprise plenty. Some of this I researched... Some of this I found out the hard way and sparks were flying.. On a funny note it was shocking... Simpley shocking...:angel:

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
True, I forgot that you were going that route, someone to ask more about the Evans Evercool would be RLDSL, he may come on board here in a little bit and give you more info or you could private message him about it.

So true icanfixall, try a short cut pay for it later.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if all the antifreeze drained out of the raiator through the petc o ck and i get to the drain plugs on the block and drain it that way is that efficient enough of a coolant flush or are there other steps i should take to ensure i get all of the old coolant out to switch over to the ELC?... and since IM changing the belts today along with the coolant i might as well change the thermostat too... any other parts i should change while IM in there???... maybe add a water temp gauge too?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you crack both drain plugs on each side of the block dont be suprised if nothing comes out.
You will have to stab a screwdriver to clean out the sediment, then watch out!
You only have to pull those two plugs and it will drain the entire engine inculding the radiator.
I use a swivel socket and an extension for the pass side plug, when I used to do that drain thing.

I also use EVANS coolant and wont ever go back to conventional coolant.
It does not ever need SCAs added and it is lifetime fill that eliminates the boilover
due to the 375F boiling point, another benefit is the low pressure wich eliminates blown hoses.
It will only make 4/7 psi now matter how hot you get it.

I love the stuff, have it every vehicle I own including my KTM 125 dirt bike.

Javier

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you have already lost all the coolant, fill the coolant system with just clear water, don't use well water. Run the engine until hot, so the t'stat opens and you have full circulation, stop engine and let it cool a little, open drain valve, when it's drained, remove the lower rad hose, leave off and fill/flush the rad with a hose, alot of gunk will come out. If the rad tubes are all limed up have it boiled out, but never rodded out, rodding will cut the tubes and make them leak. After all that is done if necessary, drain the block, one plug is located on each side towards the rear. I use FleetGard with SCA already in it, good for 100,000 miles, use 4 gallons of concentrate and 4 gallons of steam distilled water for refill. FleetGard is available at NAPA or a Navistar truck dealer and many other places. Cost for 4 gallons is about $70.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright so should i fill the system with distilled water? curious so i can get an estimate of how much distilled water ill need to pick up so i can get everything on my way home and start working on it before it gets dark... thank you all for the help its greatly appreciated

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried the Oreillys brand ELC coolant???... my friend has 6 gallons he will give me... just need to know if this stuff will work in the 6.9... he says its all he has ever used in his 6.0 and 6.7... need to know quick as he is leaving town