6.9 coolant

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so now i have a bigger problem... no one has the drain valve for the radiator... all i need is the rubber washer... does anyone have any idea what else i can use or a universal type of drain that i can use... please help this little piece has my truck out of commission :/

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
has anyone tried the Oreillys brand ELC coolant???... my friend has 6 gallons he will give me... just need to know if this stuff will work in the 6.9... he says its all he has ever used in his 6.0 and 6.7... need to know quick as he is leaving town

So long as it meets Caterpillar EC-1 and Cummins 14603 Id run it!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try calling Comoso, the ParkerStore, there should be one pretty close to you. You probably need a DC603 or DC604 drain ****, they should stock it. Seems odd nobody would have the petcock you need, you could also just put a plug in it and call it a day until you have to change your coolant sometime in the future.

Good luck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
any good radiator shop should be able to get you the petcock with a seal that you need, ( Car Quest should be able to get it if you have one, Napa * might * still be able to )
Get one of those prestone flush and fill kits that splice into the heater hose and attach to a garden hose to flush out the system. Use a flush that is soap based not acid based to clean out the system ( main ingredient will be srufactant ) then after running it, flush out with hose through flush tee with all petcocks open till everything runs clean.
DO NOT run an ELC, this stands for Extended Life Coolant, I.E. Dexcool, and it will eat up your radiator and cause all kinds of problems you do not want..
If you want to run a standard coolant go with the fleetguard type precharged to save trouble
BUT, I too would strongly recommend using Evans waterless coolant. Ive been running that stuff in everything I own for years. It may cost a bundle to put in, but with a 375 deg non pressurized boiling point, it is really cheap insurance. No other coolant will give you the kind of margin of safety that you have with Evans. other coolants if something goes wrong, you have just enough boil protection to start aiming for the shoulder and watch the steam start rolling out from under the hood, because its all over but the praying that major damage hasnt already happened, but with Evans, it's almost a joke how long you can run with the temp gauge needle pegged and not hurt a thing, plus you no longer have to worry about SCAs, and in the long run, the cost balances out because you dont have to change it yearly ( not a bad idea to run a filter with it to catch the block residue that flakes off over time as a remnant of years of previous water based coolant use)

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you guys for the responses... i ended up going with fleet charge... but i dont think i got EVERYTHING out... how i flushed the motor was i put 4 gallons distilled water ran the truck until it was hot... then i drained it from the radiator drain valve... and it was a little green still... so i ran another gallon through the truck and got it warm again and again i drained the drain valve in the radiator only... it was clear... then i filled with 4 gallons of fleet charge but could only fit a gallon and a half of water in after it was said and done... is this a bad way to flush? is this a harmful way to flush the system? i need to know so i dont drive it to much until i get it done right... thanks in advance for the help guys

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you didn't open the block drain valves. So if you didn't open the block drain valves you didn't get all the fluch out. I see you live in Cali so its not going to freeze up on you but I would test the coolant and see what it will freeze at.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so do you think it will be ok to run it like this until i can get the money to try to flush it yet again???... i looked for the drain valves on the block but being new to all this i literally had NO idea what they looked like or even where to look for them :/

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if anyone happens to have a picture of the drain bolts on the block that would be the biggest help in me getting this done right... again sorry for all the questions just want this truck to last a while so not trying to cut any corners... thanks in advance guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online