3G Alternator and V-Belt Misfortune

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your pulley is a dual belt for a non diesel application, they wont work. get a good used diesel pulley, it will stop giving you fits.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your pulley is a dual belt for a non diesel application, they wont work. get a good used diesel pulley, it will stop giving you fits.

I have the one from my old alternator, does it just come off by that nut or is it also pressed on? I hate this pressed crap I can never get it to come off.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the one from my old alternator, does it just come off by that nut or is it also pressed on? I hate this pressed crap I can never get it to come off.
It unbolts, you will just need to hold the alt from spinning

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I normally hit the nut with the ugga dugga. Sometimes it will back off without having to hold it. If it just spins, I carefully put a screwdriver or the like in the fan. That nut isn’t normally crazy tight.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither was the nut on the flywheel of the small snowblower I was working on in my small engine thread. That was scary after I drill started it the other night and the nut hopped off and the flywheel was wobbling.

Reaction score

First I've ever heard of a pulley being 'non diesel'. What's the difference?

Like I said, I'm running this same alternator. No issues.

Mike

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank God. I need all new pulley removers everything my grandfather had for this stuff in my garage is so worn out its worthless now.

Some day I might message u about ur old wore out.tools I'm a vintage collector but right now need to get truck running n a few other things tied up

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian, just in case it happens to you, I had to put a thin washer in under the pulley to stop it from rubbing on the case when I did mine. Got a "machine bushing" the right size at the local Tractor Supply. Some people don't need to so you might get lucky anyway.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mike

Come to think of it the ebay page for the part number does say it's for a 92-94 E250/E350 van with a 7.3 so I am kinda confused. But the pulleys do appear to be a different size... hmm..

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mike

I would assume he noticed because the vacuum pump belt is sitting way too far down in the groove. A double belt pulley for a gasser would have two grooves the same width, as opposed to the Diesel pulley having a smaller groove for the vacuum pump belt.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Weird thing is my old pulley on the stock alternator has two grooves that are the same.. this is my old alternator with the same belts as in that video of my new alternator.

Reaction score
I would assume he noticed because the vacuum pump belt is sitting way too far down in the groove. A double belt pulley for a gasser would have two grooves the same width, as opposed to the Diesel pulley having a smaller groove for the vacuum pump belt.

Oh, got it. Makes sense. Thanks!

Mike