serpentine belt conversion?

snowman89

Stack Finatic
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anybody who makes a serpentine belt conversion or if it has been done. Don't get me wrong here, I like the ones on my truck, but I think a conversion would be cool.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why? Honest question. why would you want the serpentine rather than the V-belt?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure you can. Water pump, Alternator, Vacuum pump, Power steering pump, Crank pulley, Belt tensioner, A/C pump and a $60 Serpentine Belt, just little things like that, shouldn't take much more than 6-8 hrs. to do that. Oh, and watch out for the pulleys, some have 7 grooves and some have 8 grooves. Then make sure they all line up. Don't forget the Bandaids for busted knuckles. -cuss ;Really

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
old bull8 you beat me too it, i was just getting ready to type all that,i seen your post , good info man!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I see ti like this... We enjoy the simplesty of these trucks and motors most of all. Now everyone knows the first belt on a V belt setup is the alternater belt...-cuss Thats the first belt on so its the last belt off when you try to remove or replace it... I really don't like trying to adjust all the belts in front of the single belt that has broken... Thats plenty of roadside work for me... So I changed over to the factory serpentine belt system.. One belt to carry... One tensioner to carry.... One idler to carry... Its just that easy. No adjustment to make either... Its just an easier system all the way... The down side is if you don't maintain the tensioner or idler pulley it will cause issues. And when you loose a belt thats everything down at one time.. But I watch my gauges so hopefully I will see this long before I really need it...

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
hey im not knocking the serpentine setup because ive thought about how nice it would be to have one belt, and i'll be damned if you aint right about that alternator belt breaking first , what a pita!

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Find someone parting out a later 7.3 and get the swap for $100 bux. That is what I did. All the accessories, pullies, belt, and the mounts for it. I can not see a down side. People talk all the time that they could always use the strong arm steering or strong leg if either of those two pumps go out. So what. what are the odds of it happening more than once? Now, how much do ALL of the belts cost to replace and how much does one serp belt cost?

Better wrap, less slip, factory install....easy system for my piggy back SC. Serp belt FTW.

SWS

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta agree...I am looking at taking my 86 to serp...years ago when manufacturers started it I was totally negitive...all of my cad's have serps, the one time I had a belt snap it was about 10pm in a 40* rain.....took all of 10 mins to swap, and that was on a transverse mounted FWD....serp on an idi with a good tensioner would be a very nice idea in my mind

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't knocking the change over to serpentine. Just what it takes to do it. I changed an 88 IDI motor to serpentine for my 92, but did the job before installing it. Yeah I like the serp's better than the V-Belt.

Note: Saves on the cost of Bandaids.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay...i would agree...the effort to convert could be knucklly painfull, but for the side of the road busted belt, i dont think it could be done much quicker

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One belt to carry... One tensioner to carry.... One idler to carry...

I wonder why you feel you need to carry all those spare parts around? 3 used v-belts and a 9/16 wrench is all you really need to carry for the v-belt setup :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86