3G Alternator and V-Belt Misfortune

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had already swapped all of my trucks to 3G except Ernest. I figured it was time this fall and got one ordered up. I got this one which I put in my 6.9 with no issues: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3G-Alt...-7-3-130-AMP-/401258487106?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Now, the alternator works totally fine in my 6.9 never heard a chirp or a screech etc. In my 7.3 right after starting it cold before doing the swap I would sometimes get some chirping from the belt until the alternator caught up which was annoying. Even worse was if you left and got out on the road right away it would really howl the belt good until it was driving for 5 minutes and then it was fine. I was hoping this would go away and it was just the alternator being hard to turn but sure enough when I took it off it was pretty easy to turn.

The new alternator is on and its worse. I feel like the belt is pretty tight:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I guess I could get a pry bar and tighten it more but I shouldn't have to I don't think. The belt sits way too high in the pulley. Come to think of it, I don't remember it sitting so high in the other pulley that was on the old 1g alternator.

Does anyone know if the pulleys on these aren't the same width if anyone else has used the 3G I got? And am I right to think that the belt sitting so high in the pulley could be contributing to the screech? I know it was a gates green belt I got from oreilly's for everything a year ago. I just can't remember what the numbers were to verify what width they were to look them up and see if I did something stupid. I gotta spin the engine to the right spot to find the label on that belt and the belt on the 6.9 and look them up I guess but the 6.9 is out on loan to my dad to haul stuff at work this week as they needed extra trucks for all the equipment their using on the job hence the 7.3 getting called into work for a rare week in winter.

Any help and thoughts appreciated, figured I'd try and tackle this one and test it while I drive it this week.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a well known fact that a single v-belt is not enough to turn a 130 amp 3G alternator that is near full output. That is why it gives you trouble after starting, the batteries are low and the new alternator obliges and charges them as hard as it can, which is too much load on a single v-belt.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the pulley on my 3G alternator is from an IDI ambulance. I also used the ambulance package belt. I think mine sits a tad proud of the pulley but I don't think it was quite as bad as yours.

Why didn't you re-use your old stock pulley?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one already had the pulley on it and it was the same price as the ones I found without it. I should probably just tighten it some more. I think the belt I used after looking up old purchases on the orielly's webiste was a gates 9425 which should be 1/2" top width which is what all of the other idi belts are, yet somehow my vacuum pump belt looks normal. It was a gates 7320 which says it is 7/16" top width which must be why it looks better.. Hmm.. I wonder if there is a 7/16" width vbelt the same length as the 9425 to try or if I should just tighten it more..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tighten it some more and see if it does help, but it’s pretty much standard for the 3g swaped trucks... the ambulances all do the same thing until the alt catches back up to the batteries.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with my 3G either but I did use the original pulley from the original alternator. I do use the shorter belt also. Doesn't make any noise.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen an issue with a belt being to proud to cause a squeak, usually it's when they're too shallow and are riding on the bottom of the pulley that causes a squeak. I'm pretty sure you need to run 2 belts on anything larger then an 80 amp alternator.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but the 1g alternator that was on the truck also would do this sometimes just not quite as bad. Plus I really don't have a way to run two belts off of it. Just seems like something is wrong.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA carries wax sticks for this exact thing. Just rub along both sides of the V where you can and run the engine to spread it out.

Also I just use a good sized adjustable wrench and put it over the upper ear on the 3G and pull back with no vac belt attached. Never had a squealing issue except after hitting really big puddles as hard as possible. :rolleyes:

Also never had any squealing even when the alt is at full load, I've read that one belt isnt enough for that duty but even after batteries are dead and a push-start no issues.

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's the wrong belt, it should sit much lower also

if you're running a high capacity amp, you should consider a serpentine belt setup

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's the wrong belt, it should sit much lower also

if you're running a high capacity amp, you should consider a serpentine belt setup

Has someone done a write-up on switching to a serpentine belt?

I wouldn't mind having one. My A/C compressor is shot anyway so I'll be buying another..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online