2nd blown oil filter gasket and coolant mixing with oil? Help with isolating the causes?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree. It's probably time to start pulling the engine apart. Unless you want to go through the oil cooler again first.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you getting any bubbles in your radiator? or mixing in the radiator? wouldn't a blown headgasket more likely show up there because of the higher pressure of the oil pushing into the lower pressure of the cooling system? can you do a compression test?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Blown head gasket doesn't always blow into the coolant. It can blow into the oil too, but isn't as common.
Being as the only oil in the head is returned oil, and the heads are oiled by oil transfered via the push tubes... I find it a little hard to believe.
What's odd to me is cold oil pressure is easily 50psi and shouldn't blow out the oil filter.
Sorry don't really have any feedback but eager to see a resolution.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just mentioned that because he has coolant mixed with oil, Just wondering if it was showing up in his cooling system. If its mixing from a blown headgasket, I would think it would show in the cooling system, but strange things can happen.

My oil filter leaks from the same spot. No matter how tight I tighten it, even to the point of I am scared i wont get it back off, it still leaks at the oil filter seal. super annoying. I have a gauge and cold on the freeway it get up to 54psi.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
It should hydrolock if it's cavitated. You're not cavitated.
Well on my '69 Ford Backhoe/Loader with the 3 cyl Perkins engine it cavitated on one cyl, below the piston rings/stroke & let water fill crankcase up..... engine still running great but overheating & all water rinning into crankcase.
So in my mind, maybe pressure ck the coolant system.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. It's probably time to start pulling the engine apart. Unless you want to go through the oil cooler again first.
You must be registered for see images attach

Drained and checked the oil last night with about 5 minutes of run time and this was the result.

It could be the o rings in the oil cooler? It could be the gaskets mount up to the block? It could be that the oil cooler is corroded on the inside and allowing contamination there?

An oil cooler reman unit tube is $300 from rock auto and that’s easier to do than a head gasket job. KISS, right?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the stuck oil pressure regulator goes, does anyone know if there are bypass oil filters for these motors?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be checking the rest of responses here shortly, thanks for everyone’s input and I’ll keep you posted

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Drained and checked the oil last night with about 5 minutes of run time and this was the result.

It could be the o rings in the oil cooler? It could be the gaskets mount up to the block? It could be that the oil cooler is corroded on the inside and allowing contamination there?

An oil cooler reman unit tube is $300 from rock auto and that’s easier to do than a head gasket job. KISS, right?
Can't hurt. Go for it. And if a new cooler doesn't go, make your wedding vows to rebuilding the engine.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Have you made sure that the water pump plate isnt leaking coolant into the block?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part# for the cooler is
F37Z-6A642-C
Did some Google searching and surprised how much the Dorman Coolers have gone up. They all seem to be in to $300+ range.

All the after market one`s are made in China.
Saw some way less than 300.

Couple Ford dealers have some listed, OEM Ford for $499.95.
When I did my 86 found a remanufactured Ford Cooler for around 300. RA had one and Parts geek.
That was about 3 years back.

Goat

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’ve seen 3 broken oil cooler rings and each time the coolant went into the oil like you showed and the oil went into the coolant. Both directions.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 8

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen 3 broken oil cooler rings and each time the coolant went into the oil like you showed and the oil went into the coolant. Both directions.
I do appear to be having contamination in the coolant. Check this out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 13