2018 Oilburners Rally

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks please bear with me on this FB thing as I’ve never really done it before. I’ve gotten requests for people I can’t figure out if they should be in the group or are asking to join for nefarious reasons. I ask for OB handle because frankly I don’t know a lot of your real names. If I decline you, don’t take it personal please. It just means I couldn’t place you. PM me here and we will try to get it sorted.

Thanks!
I joined for nefarious reasons. I like to watch :D

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Robby and Teeny will be in site 26 have followed this forum a long time and now retired and would like to meet you guys

Awesome that you will be coming out to see all us weirdos! I think it will be a good one this year.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to reserve yesterday. I probably was calling before they opened, so I left a message and asked them to call back. They never did. I'll try again today, but in the morning is my best time to do it, and I have trouble getting back to it later in the day. If somebody talks to someone down there, please ask them to call me. 717-806-5561

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, they are in over the weekend too I think until like 8pm. As the season winds down, that may shorter hours.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to live very close to that campground. I will warn you we have gnats up here during that time of year. A wide brim hat is usually all I need. They drive my wife nuts and she uses one of those net things sometimes around her head. A smokey fire will probably shoo them away also. If you have one of those 4 legged portable awnings with the netting, I would bring it.

You will be pretty much 20 minutes or so from any decent sized town. Harrisonburg is south, and has all the stores and eating places you could want.

20 minutes west is a little town called Broadway and then a little north of it Timberville. Timberville just got a Walmart with a garage and groceries, near the Walmart is a shopping center with a Foodlion grocery store and a Do it Best hardware store.

About 20 minutes north on route 11 is a town called New Market. This is where the very young VMI cadets back during the civil war marched all the way from Lexington south, up the valley and fought in the battle of New Market. They have a nice museum there, here is a link.

http://vmi.edu/museums-and-archives/virginia-museum-of-the-civil-war/

The campground is at the bottom of Massenutten mountain. This is a ridge of mountains that pop up in the middle of the valley. On the other side of the mountain where you will be staying is Page Valley in Page county. Over there is a decent set of caverns to see called Luray Caverns. I went their when I was in grade school and was impressed. Here's a link to that.
https://luraycaverns.com/

It's not cheap to get into the caverns, but they are pretty big inside. You will have to go up to New Market, route 11 is best to take. Go to the second stoplight and take a right on route 211 and that will take you over the Massenutten mountain and into Page valley to the caverns.

On the way to the caverns you can stop by Cooters. They just had their "******'s last stand" this past summer. There was a pile of people there for that. It's on the way to the Caverns right on 211. Here's a link to that.

https://cootersplace.com/cooters-luray-va/

If you keep going east on 211 past the caverns, you eventually end up going up another mountain range. This is the eastern boundary of the Shenandoah Valley and on this mountain range is Shenandoah National Park. Here is a link to that.

https://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm

For now it's $25 per car to get in to the park. If you go in the park on 211, there is about 30 miles of the park to the north, and about 60ish miles to the south. If you go south there is a place called "Big Meadows" and they have a visitors center called "Byrd Visitor Center".

If you go to the park and then ride south, you will pass lots of hiking trails, picnic areas, a place called "Skyland" which has horseback riding and rooms to stay, you will then get to the Byrd Visitors center, and if you keep going you will run into route 33. If you get off there you will have seen the central part of the park, and route 33 west will lead you right into Harrisonburg.

If you need to go to Harrisonburg, and want to make a trip of it, as soon as you get to the stop sign leaving the campground, you can take a left and head south. This is a little winding road that follows the bottom of the mountain, and eventually ends up on 33 that goes into Harrisonburg.

I will tell you I-81 down here is terrible. Lots of trucks, lots of accidents and back-ups. You will probably use 81 to get here, but running around to different places locally we avoid it if possible. Route 11 will get you anywhere you need to go that 81 will.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Once it gets closer I will decide, but it looks like I will just be doing a night or two and staying in a hotel/motel. But still to far out for me to be sure.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which sites are considered back in sites? I can take one of those.

Ok boys and girls, Mike and I have found the campground for the 2018 rally!

The official dates are
Sunday July 8th through Saturday July 14th

12480 Mountain Valley Rd
Broadway, VA 22815
Web site: Harrisonburg / Shenandoah Valley KOA
google map view

You must be registered for see images attach

Site Info:
It took some convincing, but we got the campground to reserve the area circled in red for us through April 1st. Notice there are many long pull-through sites in our area, and also some back-ins. You can see based on the layout that this was the best area to grab even though some folks may be in a back-in site. We are looking for volunteers to save themselves a few bucks and take a back-in if you can get away with it with your rig. This will allow those who really need a pull-through to stay close to the group.

They also have 5 cabins, one additional lodge, and many tent sites available, but these are not being held for us. So if you need one of these you need to BOOK EARLY! We couldn't get the cabins and tents reserved since our argument was keeping the group together. The cabins and tent sites are where they are.

I will be in lodge L02, and Mike will be in spot 22.​

Rates:
They don't set the 2018 rates till much later in the year, so the below rates are approximate. The below rates are based on this year’s rates and a 10% discount if more than 10 of us show up, which seems more than likely. They advised the rates don't change more than 5% in either direction year to year.

Per night
Full hookup pull-throughs $49~
Full hookup back-ins $45~
Lodge ( only one is left, I took the other ) $119~
Cabin (5 total, these aren't being held for us so book early) $58.5~
Tent with electric and water $36~​

Reservation Instructions:
You can make your reservation NOW! To make your reservation, call the campground at 800-562-5406 or 540-896-8929. Tell the clerk who answers you are with the oilburners group, and will be taking one of the reservations under R o b e r t F o x ' s name. (even if you are reserving a tent site or cabin) Give them your site preference / needs. Before you give your credit card number make sure you are clear that you only wish to put a deposit down.

Please do not use their online system to try and make your reservation. It will confuse folks in general, and also not count towards our group discount.

They will charge you a $50 deposit, and you can get it back if you cancel at least 48hrs before your start date. They charge a $10 processing fee for cancellations.

If you run into any confusion or trouble, ask the clerk to check with Monica. She is the campground owner and the one who set up our arrangement.​

Important!
I know we say this every year, but this year especially PLEASE BOOK EARLY.
You can see that this is a relatively small campground, and it is in a very popular area. They will release our sites after April 1st. After this date you are on your own in terms of being close to the group with full hookups. I'm actually concerned that if someone were to wait past April 1st they may not be able to get a site at all. PLEASE BOOK EARLY.​

The campground owners are excited to host our group and also ask for our patience. They typically don't do group reservations of this size in this way so there is a chance there could be some confusion along the way, but they assure Mike and I they will accommodate us.

I'm sure Mike would agree that we are really looking forward to the rally, and can’t wait to see everyone. Now that we have the site nailed down, we can start working on the agenda, stay tuned!

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as I don't get knocked up before that I can be not as close to the bathroom [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online