2003 E450 hard start after overnight or longer.

gmtech68

Reaction score
We have a cube van that is driving us nuts at work. It will start fine warm but 4 or 5 hours is enough to make for long cranks, white, eye-burning smoke, and a rough idle. We replaced the IDM as per the diagnosis of the misfire or cylinder contribution codes. All resistances are well within specs. No help. It builds fuel and high pressure oil right away when cranking. Replaced #1 injector because it consistently failed the cylinder contribution test. I hate throwing parts and the customer wants to sell this thing.

Engine has 350k kilometers. Help?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
What are the glow plugs doing? Any better when plugged in? (block heater)

Has it seen long idle times? (i.e. hours high compared to km?) I know a compression test is tricky on a diesel, but may be a direction to take.

gmtech68

Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen this vehicle. There is no history. A compression test on a diesel is difficult but double the difficulty in a van chassis. It has one dead glow plug, now located in cylinder number 8. Number 1 keeps showing weak.

gmtech68

Reaction score
I moved it to 8 so it was easier to reach. The other 7 are good, as is the harness from the relay to the plugs.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check output of the glow plug relay with a voltmeter. The wait to start light is not indicative of what the glow plugs are actually doing on these models. I have the exact same truck at work, and it took me quite a while to figure out that the contacts were burned out in the glow plug relay. It was clicking like it should have been working but wasn’t putting out any voltage to the glow plugs. I wouldn’t stress out about a burned out glow plug or two just yet. It will start okay as long as most of them are working. Glow plugs and valve cover harnesses are a colossal PITA on a van.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like glow plug and or relay issues.

plug the truck in (assuming the block heater works) for at least 3 hours and see how it starts.

If it starts fine with no smoke or issue, the problem is with the glow plug system

gmtech68

Reaction score
Glow plugs have been tested with an ohmeter and a headlight. May need to test the wiring under load.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I bought a clamp ammeter (DC) specifically for this diagnostic on my '97 e350. Once you know what one draws, you know how many are working just by clamping the main feed. I had one dead too (back pass side). Wiring the GP's to a manual switched relay was a big help.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried jumping the glow plug relay at the large terminals to rule out a bad/weak relay? Jumper cable clamp works well for this.

gmtech68

Reaction score
The misfire goes on too long to just be a glow plug. I'm starting to think a compression test is next. I hate working on vans...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Misfire can also be an burnt/damaged injector tip... not spraying well enough to light off in a cold cylinder.

Black dawg

Reaction score
What brand glow plugs are in it. I have seen several times now, aftermarket plugs that test good, and do draw some amps, but never really get hot.

gmtech68

Reaction score
Valve covers are on it right now. I didn't pay attention to the brand of glow plugs. The engine shakes even when at operating temp. Can't drive it anymore because it has a separated flat tire. Customer is trying to sell the vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online