2003 E450 hard start after overnight or longer.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doubtful compression is bad at that low mileage if it's been maintained. Did you verify the glow plug system is working properly? Did you check fuel pressure at the bowl? Has the regulator ever been rebuilt? Or are you just throwing parts at it by replacing injectors?

gmtech68

Reaction score
65 psi at the frame mounted pump as soon as the pump runs. #1 cylinder fails cylinder contribution test hot or cold. Wiring checks out to the ficm. If I missed something I am all ears. Started it yesterday. Took forever to start, ran rough with a dead miss. Engine oil pressure on dash took forever to rise - several minutes. Previously put air into high pressure oil rails. No leaks but will blow back into hpop.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
65 psi at the frame mounted pump as soon as the pump runs. #1 cylinder fails cylinder contribution test hot or cold. Wiring checks out to the ficm. If I missed something I am all ears. Started it yesterday. Took forever to start, ran rough with a dead miss. Engine oil pressure on dash took forever to rise - several minutes. Previously put air into high pressure oil rails. No leaks but will blow back into hpop.

65psi at the pump means nothing if the regulator is dumping fuel back to the tank and not building pressure.

is the HPOP reservoir oil no more than 1" from the top at the inspection port?

How much has the van been driven since putting air in the HPO system? That is not the correct way to test for leaks. If air has been introduced to the HPO it can take up to 20 miles of driving to prime the system. Air in the HPO system will make it extremely difficult to start and cause all sorts of issues once running until the air is purged.

gmtech68

Reaction score
Reservoir has always had the proper amount of oil when checked. Vehicle was driven about 20 miles after we worked on it to work out air.
The longer this thing sits, the harder it is to start. Even after the drive it idles like it is only working on 7 cylinders at most. Customer just wants it to start smooth so he can sell it. We have pushed it to low priority while we figure out what this thing is doing. IPR is clean and does not leak to the outside.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reservoir has always had the proper amount of oil when checked. Vehicle was driven about 20 miles after we worked on it to work out air.
The longer this thing sits, the harder it is to start. Even after the drive it idles like it is only working on 7 cylinders at most. Customer just wants it to start smooth so he can sell it. We have pushed it to low priority while we figure out what this thing is doing. IPR is clean and does not leak to the outside.

Temperature related or time? If it time related regardless of temp, the HPOP is probably leaking down through the check valve. Then it has to prime the HPO system to start with more air in the system.

After sitting for a while your sure the HPO reservoir is full ?

540milotalon

Reaction score
Is this truck a 7.3 or a 6.0? It seems I have read “IDM was changed” and “FICM” but I don’t think you have both on either engine? Am I mistaken?

540milotalon

Reaction score
Looks like you have tried several things but with a dead miss I would hook up a tiny 120v light and make a Noid light and watch how the injectors fire, if at all and in comparison to each other. Also, you can unplug each injector as it’s running and listen for any changes. Old school yes, but sounds like you have used the scan tools to their limits.

gmtech68

Reaction score
I can barely get my head in there as it is. Van body. Also, I hope the computers will pick up on any electrical anomalies.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Previously put air into high pressure oil rails. No leaks but will blow back into hpop.
When I did a leakdown test on the oil rails, I capped off the ports and pressed it up with a porta-power using engine oil. I forget if I jumped the heads together or did them individually. Regardless, I didn't feel ~100psi air was enough for a test.

gmtech68

Reaction score
I'm a little baffled that 150 psi air would blow open the check valves but I guess back pressure isn't really a problem.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm a little baffled that 150 psi air would blow open the check valves but I guess back pressure isn't really a problem.
That surprises me too. The engines run fine without the check valves though.... in fact, you can delete them. Their purpose is to keep one rail (cyl head) pressurized if the other one develops a major leak.

gmtech68

Reaction score
So much for one theory. Oil reservoir is full after a 4 day sit. Cranked for 10 seconds after wait to start light went out. Fired a handful of cylinders then nothing. Gave up and let it sit.