1990 IDI 7.3 into 2000 Excursion PS

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
spoke too BAR rep last week and new engine swap laws are in effect. NO ENGINE CAN BE PLACED IN A VEHICLE OTHER THAN ONE THAT WAS ORIGINALY OFFERED. No putting a diesel in where one was not offered. and no going forwards or backwards in years of engine and transmission. so no v8 jeep swaps . And word is going arround that they want to smog 1965 cars to present every year.

Just one more reason to add to my list of why a I am leaving this craphole nanny state. After the next earthquake, Nevada will have beachfront property.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:popcorn

We do need somebody to try putting a 4R100 behind an IDI. Inquiring minds will want to know.

Working on it. Well not really. It's now project # 23. Was #22 but MF390 just blew a hydraulic cylinder (and I'm in Brazil:mad:) so it's now #23 when I get home. Got the 4R100 just not the time. Will need to happen fairly soon as E4OD is getting slippery (no more trailers allowed).

DragRag

Reaction score
If you are replacing the 7.3l powerstroke with a 7.3l idi to save money on the parts, you can't save any more on total operating cost with the idi over the di. I will explain why, it is plain and simple math. What you will pay for the parts etc even if you do all the work yourself will need to be factored into the job. What are your really going to spend on this change? I speculate between $1500 and $4500.

Here is another factor, fuel cost. With a idi you can run 50% to maybe 60% if you go a little over on waste motor oil fuel before it begins to smoke to much. I know I have been at this for years, take my word for it. I am assuming you are not going to preheat. The power stroke will run a solid 75% waste motor oil before it starts smoking excessively. I am using the 50% and 75% number for simple math purposes. Based on you burning a total of 200 gallons a month of mixed fuel, you buy about 50 gallons less diesel sticking with the powerstroke. At $3 per gallon that is $150 per month times 12 which is $1800. You can but a lot of injectors etc every year with the money you save by stick with the powersmoke engine. Yes idi's are cheaper to repair, but the powerstroke will drink a way higher percentage of alternative fuel. Been there done that, please remember.

Another, you may or may not be willing to admit it, but the idi is not going to return the same mpg as the powerstroke is. You mileage may very, but in my experience in owner probably a hundred powerstrokes and idi's combined that is my experience. IMO the di motor gets about 1.5-2 mpg better, figure that into your cost now for sure.

Lastly, if you only want to do this swap to be different then I have no argument for that. I would not do it for that factor myself, a cummins maybe, but not an idi for cool factor. Do that math, it doesn't work out really. Even if you 7.3l blows beyond repair, putting in another even if you pay $1500 for a used engine is much more economical in the long run if you factor in fuel cost using a heavy oil mix that the idi just will not burn clean enough to drive everyday without attracting the fuzz. Just my .02, I think my opinion is an educated one though.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Just one more reason to add to my list of why a I am leaving this craphole nanny state. After the next earthquake, Nevada will have beachfront property.

All CHP Officers are now Smog Techs!!!!!! And can and will cite You for driving a vehicle that is not street legal in this state. This is to include diesels that come in from out of state to get around KALI's New diesel emissions laws. They have the Authority to Cite and Impound Vehicles that are not Emissions Complaint!

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are replacing the 7.3l powerstroke with a 7.3l idi to save money on the parts, you can't save any more on total operating cost with the idi over the di. I will explain why, it is plain and simple math. What you will pay for the parts etc even if you do all the work yourself will need to be factored into the job. What are your really going to spend on this change? I speculate between $1500 and $4500.

Here is another factor, fuel cost. With a idi you can run 50% to maybe 60% if you go a little over on waste motor oil fuel before it begins to smoke to much. I know I have been at this for years, take my word for it. I am assuming you are not going to preheat. The power stroke will run a solid 75% waste motor oil before it starts smoking excessively. I am using the 50% and 75% number for simple math purposes. Based on you burning a total of 200 gallons a month of mixed fuel, you buy about 50 gallons less diesel sticking with the powerstroke. At $3 per gallon that is $150 per month times 12 which is $1800. You can but a lot of injectors etc every year with the money you save by stick with the powersmoke engine. Yes idi's are cheaper to repair, but the powerstroke will drink a way higher percentage of alternative fuel. Been there done that, please remember.

Another, you may or may not be willing to admit it, but the idi is not going to return the same mpg as the powerstroke is. You mileage may very, but in my experience in owner probably a hundred powerstrokes and idi's combined that is my experience. IMO the di motor gets about 1.5-2 mpg better, figure that into your cost now for sure.

Lastly, if you only want to do this swap to be different then I have no argument for that. I would not do it for that factor myself, a cummins maybe, but not an idi for cool factor. Do that math, it doesn't work out really. Even if you 7.3l blows beyond repair, putting in another even if you pay $1500 for a used engine is much more economical in the long run if you factor in fuel cost using a heavy oil mix that the idi just will not burn clean enough to drive everyday without attracting the fuzz. Just my .02, I think my opinion is an educated one though.

Dragrag, you have valid points...except for one. If I was doing this for the cool factor, do you think I would have chosen that fat guy with the McDonald's french fries, Snickers bars and Subway sammiches in his tactical vest for my avatar?

Answers to some of your questions. $$, I was hoping to do the swap for under $2k if I pick up that motor for cheap. The oil was going to be heated. I have collected many parts over the years for a WVO conversion. Arctic Fox, Racor filters, various heat exchangers, etc. I am also looking at a centrifuge for cleaning the oil. I will post links at the end of this post.

I have more experience driving Powerstrokes and newer Cummins than IDI's. I thought that running WMO in a PS would lead to a rapid death of my PS. I need to rely on this vehicle to be 100% because I might be thousands of miles from home. I guess if I save enough money on fuel I can keep a spare set of injectors in my truck.

The first video is not from the manufacturer. It is someone that bought one. The oil the he is running was run through a 5 micron bag filter. See what was left in the oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzsevrzV6mk&feature=fvw

How do you post a video?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Dragrag, you have valid points...except for one. If I was doing this for the cool factor, do you think I would have chosen that fat guy with the McDonald's french fries, Snickers bars and Subway sammiches in his tactical vest for my avatar?

Answers to some of your questions. $$, I was hoping to do the swap for under $2k if I pick up that motor for cheap. The oil was going to be heated. I have collected many parts over the years for a WVO conversion. Arctic Fox, Racor filters, various heat exchangers, etc. I am also looking at a centrifuge for cleaning the oil. I will post links at the end of this post.

I have more experience driving Powerstrokes and newer Cummins than IDI's. I thought that running WMO in a PS would lead to a rapid death of my PS. I need to rely on this vehicle to be 100% because I might be thousands of miles from home. I guess if I save enough money on fuel I can keep a spare set of injectors in my truck.

The first video is not from the manufacturer. It is someone that bought one. The oil the he is running was run through a 5 micron bag filter. See what was left in the oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzsevrzV6mk&feature=fvw

How do you post a video?

Actually I thought your avatar guy was cool LOL. Obviously this is your truck and your choice but I think your reason for reliable and cost just don't hold water. The 7.3 has proven to be a reliable motor and once you get the basics down they are no harder to work on then an IDI and no motor is 100% reliable. I just think the work and money spent to replace a GOOD engine will never be recouped but it is not my time and money so have at it;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Your best bet is to drop in a 7.3 IDI turbo with a ZF 5 speed, and you can cure that Excursion of all it's ills. I know. I have one. I hate that 4R100 trans, and hope to ditch it in favor of a 6 speed if I can ever find one. Ford never made any manual Excursions, so this is all the more reason to want one. I can be easily converted using parts from a manual Superduty. I would expect your motor mounts will cooperate, but everything else will require some engineering on your part. Should be hard. Certainly will be easier than going the other way (pulling an IDI to put a PSD in). Going manual would also greatly simplify things.

Hey Mel, Something like this help,...?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/1915639066.html

If you want me to check it out let me know,..

Its a big 7.2 diesel with a 5sp, cookoo probably a 7.3 and a 6sp,...:D

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, you guys convinced me into looking at using the PS. Any suggestions on how to run the plumbing on the motor?

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All CHP Officers are now Smog Techs!!!!!! And can and will cite You for driving a vehicle that is not street legal in this state. This is to include diesels that come in from out of state to get around KALI's New diesel emissions laws. They have the Authority to Cite and Impound Vehicles that are not Emissions Complaint!

This may be true, but they can not stop free travel for citizens traveling through states. Many vehicles that are legal in other states are not CA smog compliant.

tknomaj

Reaction score
This may be true, but they can not stop free travel for citizens traveling through states. Many vehicles that are legal in other states are not CA smog compliant.

This is True but You are not driving a toyota camry . Any vehicle over 1/2 ton is Under comercial laws and regulation . And yes they can stop comercial vehicles . TowCat would be more up on this aspect than i would but comercial enforcement of vehicles is done not only by CHP but also Local LEO's . In Anaheim they will close off a street for 4 hours and stop weigh and inspect vehicles , trailers, and drivers and occupants. Even on Toyota trucks with lawn mowers. City of Anaheim and Placentia keep Tow Truck drivers Very Busy on These Days.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Depends on what your plans are for your system really and what the climate is gonna be. I myself would plan on mounting any extra filters under neath on the frame and my plan was to use a glow plug for heat back by the tank then just insulate the lines and maybe add another glow plug for heat close to the motor and just insulate the lines to try and keep the heat in and not mess with running coolant lines. On my IDI I actually ended up with to much heat and even down into the teens during winter it would surge and I though it was the wvo trying to gel but when I touched the fuel lines I almost burnt myself so I shut a couple GP off and the surging went away

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is True but You are not driving a toyota camry . Any vehicle over 1/2 ton is Under comercial laws and regulation . And yes they can stop comercial vehicles . TowCat would be more up on this aspect than i would but comercial enforcement of vehicles is done not only by CHP but also Local LEO's . In Anaheim they will close off a street for 4 hours and stop weigh and inspect vehicles , trailers, and drivers and occupants. Even on Toyota trucks with lawn mowers. City of Anaheim and Placentia keep Tow Truck drivers Very Busy on These Days.

Welcome to the USSR!-cuss I know what you mean about the spot checks of trucks. I used to live in an area of major truck traffic and used to drive commercially. I saw them several times a year. I would like to see the CVC that shows the cutoff a 1/2 ton.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Welcome to the USSR!-cuss I know what you mean about the spot checks of trucks. I used to live in an area of major truck traffic and used to drive commercially. I saw them several times a year. I would like to see the CVC that shows the cutoff a 1/2 ton.

back in the 70's I think ford,chevrolet,dodge went to f150vsf100, c10toc15 to get trucks in small private sizes to get them under comercial laws and regulations . Vehicles less than the f150's were going to have to meet passenger car emissions and be regulated under passenger laws, but with the little bump to f150 from 100 put them in comercial classifications

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jan 1, 2013 commercial vehicles with a GVW of 14,001 and higher will be subject to the new diesel smog laws. out of state vehicles have 72 hours in the state to conduct their business and get out before they are subject to the new regulations.
CHP patrol officers have always been getting training on spotting obvious emissions equipment violations and visual emissions violations now too. I.E. the punks who think it's kewl to smoke out a city block with their hotrodded diesels now have something to think about. This is also for the out-of-tune older diesels too.