1990 IDI 7.3 into 2000 Excursion PS

tknomaj

Reaction score
TowCat why are they messing with the gardners in Toyota PU's and f150 if the comercial limit is 14000lbs not to argue but currosity killed the Cat

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I paint it like this they will leave me alone.:sly

You must be registered for see images attach

I would still like to get that VC if you have it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TowCat why are they messing with the gardners in Toyota PU's and f150 if the comercial limit is 14000lbs not to argue but currosity killed the Cat
that's local DOT stuff. DOT is DOT, they govern the operational safety of commercial vehicles. the 14k rule going into effect is to put into obsolescence diesels older than model year 2004. if you own a truck in that weight class, you have three choices.
one. bring into compliance with latest technology smog equipment.
two. sell the vehicle out of state.
three. register the vehicle non-op or salvage it out.

I've been having a field day buying F450's under $700 in the last six months:D
the powertrain will still fit in f250's and f350's.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I paint it like this they will leave me alone.:sly

You must be registered for see images attach

I would still like to get that VC if you have it.
nope.
every public agency is the first to be put under the new rule.
they have the least amount of exemptions they can use.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to be funny. I guess it didn't work.:dunno
I knew what you were getting at, but the reality was very different.
it was a general joke that public agencies were going to get an exemption because they can. nope. not this time. alot of taxpayer monies are being burned to get the new stuff.

DragRag

Reaction score
OK, you guys convinced me into looking at using the PS. Any suggestions on how to run the plumbing on the motor?

I ran 75% wmo in my primary driver for 2 years, and I do a lot of driving. I do multi-state also, but not every day. I did no special plumbing and never replaced any hard parts, except fuel filter every 6-8k miles. Never so much as hard started on wmo, I have had no regrets using what so ever. I have saved enough cash using it to buy several engines at this point. Money saved is money earned in my book, and I have saved thousands on fuel running wmo. I only filter to 10 microns also, which is a bit to bog for some, but I don't have issues with it. I think you will find wmo a lot more plentiful then wvo. That is unless you have a unlimited source. The guys around here hoard it.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew what you were getting at, but the reality was very different.
it was a general joke that public agencies were going to get an exemption because they can. nope. not this time. alot of taxpayer monies are being burned to get the new stuff.

Tell me about it. They are crushing beautiful school buses. I :cry: when I see the Crowns and Gilligs on a trailer on the way to the wrecker.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 75% wmo in my primary driver for 2 years, and I do a lot of driving. I do multi-state also, but not every day. I did no special plumbing and never replaced any hard parts, except fuel filter every 6-8k miles. Never so much as hard started on wmo, I have had no regrets using what so ever. I have saved enough cash using it to buy several engines at this point. Money saved is money earned in my book, and I have saved thousands on fuel running wmo. I only filter to 10 microns also, which is a bit to bog for some, but I don't have issues with it. I think you will find wmo a lot more plentiful then wvo. That is unless you have a unlimited source. The guys around here hoard it.

You have separate tanks. Is it a factory setup?

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No seperate tanks, goes right on the regular fuel tank. I basically just treat it like regular old #2. really it's good old #4 though. :sly;Really;Sweet

No heat? You asked about heat before. Now you say you run it like regular diesel? I wouldn't do that with veg oil, why would I with WMO?

DragRag

Reaction score
No heat? You asked about heat before. Now you say you run it like regular diesel? I wouldn't do that with veg oil, why would I with WMO?

No heat what so ever up to 75%, to much smoke at 80% though. I basically did my own trial. I started at 50%, and worked up to 80% then backed down to 75%. We live in the west, it doesn't really get cold enough around here to justify heating. I don't want to tempt fate though I usually would drop it back to 50/50 during the winter months, if it is warmer out I would add some more filtered oil to the tank to mix it heavier back up to 75%. I keep it at 50/50 all the time for 7.3 idi, only mixing up to 75% in the powerstroke. I have local friends do this to now. One they see the benefits, they can't help themselves. Who wants to spend all that cash on fuel? Not me that's for sure.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the links I posted before? That carbon build up doesn't look too good to me.:eek:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
yes it can be done...but with a really big BUT......
first, you will be violating all sorts of smog laws.
second. your life will be greatly simplified if you choose a turbo system set up for a ford IDI.
third, you will be the first in doing the IDI to Ex swap. good luck;Sweet

Exactly. Laws around the counties say you can re-power any vehicle, using a motor of the vehicles current year or newer and install all smog related gear.

You can put a 6.7 scorpoin into a 1983 F350 and get away with it provided all cat converters, mufflers and DPF's in place....along with the urea tank :puke:

But to put and IDI in a 2011 F250, you couldn't get away with it in most places. The 2011's were environmentally friendly, more so than the 1983's.

It's kinda a catch 22 for truckers building trucks out of gliders....can't take a 2011 KW and drop an 855 into it and get away with it.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
as far as mods for wvo on a psd I have know of 2 , runnin 50/50 with no mods what so ever, one has a seperate tank for diesel for start up and shut down , the other is still a single tank, also known of a few idis running up to 75% unmodded.
as for the IDI vrs PSD price comparison, Not gonna go there, but it is cheaper to put injectors in a PSD than buy A Modded IDI pump and injectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent