1990 IDI 7.3 into 2000 Excursion PS

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Your best bet is to drop in a 7.3 IDI turbo with a ZF 5 speed, and you can cure that Excursion of all it's ills. I know. I have one. I hate that 4R100 trans, and hope to ditch it in favor of a 6 speed if I can ever find one. Ford never made any manual Excursions, so this is all the morer reason to want one. I can be easily converted using parts from a manual Superduty. I would expect your motor mounts will cooperate, but everything else will require some engineering on your part. Should be hard. Certainly will be easier than going the other way (pulling an IDI to put a PSD in). Going manual would also greatly simplify things.

In order. To replace a 4r100 with a 6 speed you need to cut out part of the Trans tunnel and passenger floor and put in one from a 6 speed truck.

To the OP. I don't get why you want to go backwards by outing a older engine in a newertruck

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want a stick, I need an auto.

The reason for the backwards swap is I will be putting on serious miles. I want easy maintenance and cheap replacement parts.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4R100 can be done very easily. It's almost the exact same size as the E40D. You will need to use a Buamman trans controller. We never did get it to live happily with the original computer in the wrecker. What was nice is we could ditch the dang engine mounted PTO and mount it to the tranny. In fact there is a 4R100 sitting in the barn right now waiting for me to get the Baumman unit to put it in the flatbed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP. I don't get why you want to go backwards by outing a older engine in a newertruck
I guess the question should be asked to the IDI group in general.
My belief is that I have had my fill of computers supposedly making my life "better". Has the electronic diesels made significant improvement in economy?
I haven't seen it. Even though IDI's get soundly beaten in truck pulls and drag races, I have yet to see any difference in the real life world where my IDI has let me down. I've made a comfortable living with my trucks for the last 15 years and they don't ask for much in return other than reasonable care.;Sweet

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I guess the question should be asked to the IDI group in general.
My belief is that I have had my fill of computers supposedly making my life "better". Has the electronic diesels made significant improvement in economy?
I haven't seen it. Even though IDI's get soundly beaten in truck pulls and drag races, I have yet to see any difference in the real life world where my IDI has let me down. I've made a comfortable living with my trucks for the last 15 years and they don't ask for much in return other than reasonable care.;Sweet

Yes. But would you pull out a powerstroke just to Putin an Did?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. But would you pull out a powerstroke just to Putin an IDI?
if the opportunity presented itself and I no longer lived in kali, I'd do it in a hot second.
unfortunately, diesel excursions are hard to find in STOCK SUSPENSION, there are ones that are lifted crazy that are going cheap at the auction. But if I do come across one with a bad motor and clean title, I just might bite and do the conversion and get TX plates & title.;Sweet

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My go fast days are over. I want a motor that will move nicely with some minor mods, can be fixed for cheap, gets decent mileage and will tolerate different fuels. I can't believe how many are against my idea. I have seen dozens of trucks modified to where they couldn't driven 5 blocks without being pulled over by the Highway Patrol and people are questioning my swap. If I said I wanted to put in a 1990 Cummins 12v, I'm sure everyone would be saying how cool that would be. I want a truck that I can drive tens of thousands of miles economically. That doesn't just mean fuel, it includes maintenance also. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I was just looking for info on different parts compatibility.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have to agree an IDI X would be awesome. I'd hate to yank out a 7.3 though. In the OP's case it makes sense cause that's what he has but would much rather see a nice V10 or V8 gas guzzler become an IDI. I'd be curious f it would match or better the fuel economy of the Excursion Stroker. Seems like they did ok on fuel economy whereas the gassers were very thirsty and the punching bag for environmentalists and leftists. For instance I hear 18-20 highway was pretty reasonable to expect from a PSD X and 12 mpg would be awesome from a gasser.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My go fast days are over. I want a motor that will move nicely with some minor mods, can be fixed for cheap, gets decent mileage and will tolerate different fuels. I can't believe how many are against my idea. I have seen dozens of trucks modified to where they couldn't driven 5 blocks without being pulled over by the Highway Patrol and people are questioning my swap. If I said I wanted to put in a 1990 Cummins 12v, I'm sure everyone would be saying how cool that would be. I want a truck that I can drive tens of thousands of miles economically. That doesn't just mean fuel, it includes maintenance also. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I was just looking for info on different parts compatibility.
don't get me wrong, I'm with you on this idea. but in kali it's a dead horse.
But in rural TX, it's a go.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't see anyone against it, just concerned for you about crossing the smog nazis and dealing with the electrical nightmare. the mechanical parts of the swap wouldn't be too tough. You'd need a drop in or long block IDI since not even the manifolds interchange but bellhousings, bolt pattern, etc swap over just fine. E4OD with a GV like Icanfixall has behind an IDI with a Hypermax or factory ATS turbo would be pretty kic butt if you ask me.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI I have access to is complete from water pump to the flexplate. It has to be checked out first but I think I can get it for a few hundred bucks. The oil cooler has to be checked for a leak. There was water in the oil. Might also be a head gasket, but I would probably change them and have the heads gone through before I installed it. Looks like the 4R100 will mount up directly. A 4 bolt TC from a E4OD will fit both the IDI and the 4R100. That transmission controller that some wrote about would take care of the tranny electronics. I guess I need to start looking for a turbo setup. Would the two mentioned be best for my application? What about a Banks?

The mileage I got with the Ex was about 18 at about 65.

Hey towcat, is that one of your truck drivers in your avatar? She looks nice.

tknomaj

Reaction score
spoke too BAR rep last week and new engine swap laws are in effect. NO ENGINE CAN BE PLACED IN A VEHICLE OTHER THAN ONE THAT WAS ORIGINALY OFFERED. No putting a diesel in where one was not offered. and no going forwards or backwards in years of engine and transmission. so no v8 jeep swaps . And word is going arround that they want to smog 1965 cars to present every year.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey towcat, is that one of your truck drivers in your avatar? She looks nice.
don't I wish that I could have a girl that nice looking hanging around the office:eek:
this girl is from one of those stocking websites I check out every now and then. The wife's rule to me is that if I buy it, she will wear it. OK, I'm a very visual animal, so I like dressing her up.;Sweet
The avi girls I post fall under two catagories, if they are impossibly beautiful, they are bootlegged off one of those catalogue websites. If they look attainable, they're friends of mime.

Attachments

• legs10.jpg
    legs10.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online