1989 F-250 7.3 Project

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple things that will cause this. Most common is swelling brake hoses, rusty stuck calipers can do it too. Master cylinder rod could be adjusted wrong and holding some pressure on brakes, and of course air in the brake lines as well.

IF you just need to get it home, get a vice grip and pinch off the brake hose for that wheel, then open the bleeder to relax any pressure.
Thanks, it was fine until it sat for a number of months while i was working on it. I'm thinking it's a stuck caliper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuck calipers are real common on that vintage ford. Could be any of the things Wes mentioned as well.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think specifically its the slide pins since the truck was sitting and didn't have an issue before. Tapped the caliber and let it cool off and it unstuck. Asoon as I was on and off the brakes through the city it started pulling and sticking again. Its home now and I'm going to pull the front wheels off once it stops raining and remove and clean the pins/regrease.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s usually the pistons. A lot of them had the fiber pistons that get nasty over time and stick. That said, I’ve had metal ones stick too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I’ve had the metal ones get a ridge of rust around them and not want to collapse. You can try pulling the caliper off and compressing it and then using the brake pedal to extend it a few times to see if it frees up

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The top piston was stuck, notably more difficult to push in and out than the bottom one. My guess is the boot was torn on that one so it probably got crud or water in it that was made worse by its extended park.

These type of calibers are one of the easiest ford ever made, but if anyone doesn't know:
1. Remove wheel
2. Remove caliper expansion pins
3. Remove caliper

You can see the two pins in one of my pics I show it.
On the stuck piston, I freed it, cleaned it down with brake clean, and lubed it and give it a few cycles in and out.
Put it back together and went for a ride. It's no longer sticking for now.

Where do ya'll like buying your calipers from?

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually prefer to buy my calipers from the local parts store. It's worth a smidge extra in cost to be able to take them back quickly if there's a problem, plus I usually take the old ones in when I get the new ones to avoid the core charge entirely.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I usually prefer to buy my calipers from the local parts store. It's worth a smidge extra in cost to be able to take them back quickly if there's a problem, plus I usually take the old ones in when I get the new ones to avoid the core charge entirely.
I second this one.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I bough raybestos remans from Amazon. About half the price and no core IIRC.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had calipers from advanced auto on my truck for 3 years, no issues. I like buying things like that local for warranty purposes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the caliper, and need to bleed the brakes again. The rear ones are weird. When I have someone pump and stand on the brakes, when you crack the bleeders some fluid drips out but then it just stops. I'll have to hook up vacuum bleeders.

Havent done much because I'll be buying a house next month. Excited to have a nice size garage for all the activities.

I'm also looking for a zf5 truck with a nice bed to swap onto my truck.
If anyone has a bedded truck that wants a flatbed, or a manual truck that wants a c6. Hit me up and come over. I'm in PA.