1989 F-250 7.3 Project

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really nice! Looking forward to the results of the research you are doing with the i/2 inch fuel line. Is that line 1/2 from the fuel tank? Did you do do anything different with your return lines?
Right now I have sumped rear tank, fsv and 3/8, pending results from the testing move to 1/2. I have messed with return lines on the run stand, I’ve used larger, haven’t noticed any difference.

I go into detail on the fuel math in this thread:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
IIRC one of the GM IDI guys (N8t8r??) also found that making the feed line from the inside of the tank larger made a big difference in the pumps ability to keep up at high loads.

Any thoughts on that side of the equation?

I’m setting my pump and filters up almost exactly like yours; debating on the gsl392 or using an 044 sump tank I already have.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC one of the GM IDI guys (N8t8r??) also found that making the feed line from the inside of the tank larger made a big difference in the pumps ability to keep up at high loads.

Any thoughts on that side of the equation?

I’m setting my pump and filters up almost exactly like yours; debating on the gsl392 or using an 044 sump tank I already have.
I have a sump setup, agree whole length you optimally want to change

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Usual couple steps forward couple steps back but overall moving forward. Ran the engine in the truck for the first time in years. Got up to about 175 degrees and smelled something burning. Kept shutting it and looking around cause it smelled like electrical but couldn’t find it. All the power cut to the fuse box in cab and then I found it. This is the PO wiring of the breakout box that I didn’t touch during re wiring. Interesting thing is that this gauge wire should have been okay ish at 25amps and the fuse never blew so this isn’t a short to ground scenario. I started smelling it once I was running the blower motor and defrost on high- I think a correlation there. I’m going to go get a thermal imaging camera and then proceed onward and see what’s going on.

Pictures stuck in mod approval FYI

Last edited:

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Usual couple steps forward couple steps back but overall moving forward. Ran the engine in the truck for the first time in years. Got up to about 175 degrees and smelled something burning. Kept shutting it and looking around cause it smelled like electrical but couldn’t find it. All the power cut to the fuse box in cab and then I found it. This is the PO wiring of the breakout box that I didn’t touch during re wiring. Interesting thing is that this gauge wire should have been okay ish at 25amps and the fuse never blew so this isn’t a short to ground scenario. I started smelling it once I was running the blower motor and defrost on high- I think a correlation there. I’m going to go get a thermal imaging camera and then proceed onward and see what’s going on.

Pictures stuck in mod approval FYI
PO might have crimped that one just way too tight.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Usually I see that type of butt connector failure if they crimp it on the edge of the blade terminal, so the wire eventually breaks off. Throw a new one on it and see what she does.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PO might have crimped that one just way too tight.

I agree, the circuit behaves how I expect it to. It pulls approx 4 amps no HVAC and 17 amps with hvac maxed. I recrimped it and put a new connector and 15 amp fuse . Runs warmer by its nature but not particularly concerning. There was a guy the other night that said his whole dash and truck went lights out dead. This is the fusible link circuit I would have directed him to but he disappeared.